Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#279195 - 10/05/17 08:38 AM Just a heads up -- drug shortages
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor

The New York Times ran a story this morning about potential drug shortages resulting from the power outages in Puerto Rico. Turns out many of the drugs we use are manufactured there. The story specifically mentioned Humira and methotrexate, both of which are manufactured there exclusively.

#279210 - 10/05/17 08:00 PM Re: Just a heads up -- drug shortages [Re: Winston]
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the heads up, however for de odd reason before the hurricane about 2 months ago I was given a 4 month supply of methotrexate probably because I was still tiltering doses upwards so they thought I was injecting more , sure they will provide us with more soon ror later or a us inland facility will take over, we also have reserves in place of medication like this in place in case situations arise like this I think lol
Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed

#279214 - 10/06/17 08:49 AM Re: Just a heads up -- drug shortages [Re: Winston]
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor

If only it were so. There was already a shortage of methotrexate before the hurricane. There is no reserve. See https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/Drug-Shortage-Detail.aspx?id=26

#279215 - 10/06/17 02:19 PM Re: Just a heads up -- drug shortages [Re: Winston]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
A couple years ago, there was no MTX for months and months, not even for Chemo patients. I was using the injectable.

I had to order gigantic bottles, which I didn't like because I had to use the same bottle for many months. Got scared it was getting contaminated. Plus hard to take traveling. It was bottles for IV (chemo) and felt bad I might be taking it from a cancer patient too.

Please take this seriously and try to order now.

Anna

#279219 - 10/07/17 04:57 AM Re: Just a heads up -- drug shortages [Re: Winston]
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

No problem where I live called multiple pharmacies in the area and they said they were well stocked. Maybe for now anyways, but I guess it really depends on where you live.
Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed

#279221 - 10/07/17 12:34 PM Re: Just a heads up -- drug shortages [Re: Winston]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
No it doesn't, wait a couple months. Plus, you can't order 6 months worth.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan