Print Thread
#279196 - 10/05/17 12:46 PM Cognitive issues  
kjb Offline
Registered Visitor
kjb  Offline
Registered Visitor

NY, USA
Hello all,

I am still on my journey to start treatment, I have been going back and fourth with different Drs and getting more tests before I can start Enbrel. I am hoping within the next week or two to be able to start.

I have some questions about memory loss and having trouble thinking things through, wondering is this an AS problem or should be bringing up to someone, rheumy or my PCP? Its getting rather annoying and a little embarrassing. I have been kind of putting it off as stress, as my life seems to be nothing but stressful for the past 2 years.I also feel like maybe once I am not in so much pain that maybe it will get better.

If anyone suffers from this, does it get better? I am praying that once I start treatment and possible leave my job and look for one a little less stressful it will get better.

#279197 - 10/05/17 01:12 PM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: kjb]  
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor

It could be an AS problem, a side effect of both pain and fatigue. Brain fog and memory loss can also be a side effect of many different medications. What are you taking presently?

#279198 - 10/05/17 02:01 PM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: Winston]  
kjb Offline
Registered Visitor
kjb  Offline
Registered Visitor

NY, USA
I am not currently taking anything, should be starting Enbrel within the next week or two. I just finished a high taper of prednisone. I do take Advil when I have too, but it really does not help other than maybe take the edge off and kills my stomach so I try not to take it. So my pain level and fatigue is very high as I am in a flare that has been a few months now.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was told that there is what they call Fibro fog, My Rheumy has said she isn't positive on that diagnosis as some of it could be the AS issues and that is her primary concern at the moment, once we get started on treatment we will check the other issues and go from there.

I just have notice lately, I can not remember peoples names or things from a few days ago. its very frustrating as I have always been good with remembering people, and my work is lacking because I forget where I leave off on items, or which clients belong to which claim. But then I can go months and be fine, then out of the blue it happens again.

#279199 - 10/05/17 02:19 PM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: kjb]  
miaoli Offline
Registered Visitor
miaoli  Offline
Registered Visitor

I definitely have some brain fog issues. Just diagnosed and only taking sulfasalazine and ibuprofen currently. Just started the sulfasalazine last week though. Mine manifests as difficulty concentrating and I also forget my students names for very brief periods (a few seconds at a time so not long but enough to be embarrassing) and I've been teaching most of my students for over 2 years. I don't know if it's AS related or not but interesting you are also having cognitive symptoms too.I know in my case it has nothing to do with medications as I just started them.

December 2016- Persistent feeling of being "off-balance", no true vertigo but feelings of dizziness.
April 2017- Pain started at first in calves, then back (location random), then knees and ankles. All diagnostic testing tried at this point normal.
September 2017- First visit to rheumatologist. HLA-B27+, Grade 2 sclerosis on pelvic x-ray, rheumy diagnosed AS.
Medications: Sulfasalazine 500mg/BID,Ibuprofen as needed.I take a multivitamin and vitamin B daily.Also take MSM-Glucosamine supplement.
#279211 - 10/06/17 12:04 AM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: kjb]  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: kjb
Hello all,

I am still on my journey to start treatment, I have been going back and fourth with different Drs and getting more tests before I can start Enbrel. I am hoping within the next week or two to be able to start.

I have some questions about memory loss and having trouble thinking things through, wondering is this an AS problem or should be bringing up to someone, rheumy or my PCP? Its getting rather annoying and a little embarrassing. I have been kind of putting it off as stress, as my life seems to be nothing but stressful for the past 2 years.I also feel like maybe once I am not in so much pain that maybe it will get better.

If anyone suffers from this, does it get better? I am praying that once I start treatment and possible leave my job and look for one a little less stressful it will get better.

Have you thought of seeing a neurologist for your memory loss , they can run emgs ect and brain wave scans to see if something else is going on the sooner they catch anything the sooner they can treat you you should ask your primary care for a referral to a nerology who specializes in that situation while your as issues are also being treated

Last edited by Thesnakejakw; 10/06/17 02:02 AM.

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
#279216 - 10/06/17 06:21 PM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: kjb]  
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
This is a chronic pain issue. You can google chronic pain and brain changes. Your brain, getting the signal for pain over and over causes changes that CAN become permanent. As soon as you get treatment, it should go away.

If not, it took years for me to get treatment and so it did not all go away. I take half dose of Cymbalta which not only helps with the chonic pain (from damage) but helps with brain fog too.

Good luck, hope you get treatment soon.

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
#279271 - 10/13/17 12:29 PM Re: Cognitive issues [Re: kjb]  
kjb Offline
Registered Visitor
kjb  Offline
Registered Visitor

NY, USA
Thank you all for the feedback, I am going to see if I can see a neurologist, as I feel like something else might be going on. Although the chronic explanation certainly makes sense. I assume some of it may be the extreme fatigue too. Maybe I will wait to see if after I start the Enbrel it gets any better. I am getting use to the wait and see approach. Which makes me nervous in some aspects.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan