11/28/17 07:55 PM
11/28/17 07:55 PM
Los Angeles, CA
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
RAHMBA  Offline
Registered Visitor

Los Angeles, CA
Thanks SouthernMoss for alerting me of the yoga question.

Nicole_B - There are several things we can try to remove the wrist pain from your practice. adjustments range from slight changes of positioning, to props, to using alternative poses.

1. try rotating hand so that fingers point slightly to the sides of the mat. right fingers towards the right.
2. try changing the angle of your wrist. placing a small prop (could be a rolled towel or by folding your yoga mat) under your wrist. so that your wrist are higher than your palms. One person I've worked with found the opposite helped and she used a wedge to lift her palms/fingers higher than her wrists.
3. this is too physically challenging for some people... rather than palms on the ground, use fists or better yet finger tips.
4. see if can distribute less weight on your hands by using a block under your palms or shortening the distance between you feet and hands in a position like downdog.
5. use alternate poses that don't involve putting weight on your wrists. if we are creative, there is always an alternative. for example, even inversions such as handstand can be done with chairs. so that no weight is placed on your wrists.

If you are in Los Angeles or Vegas, I'm happy to meet with you in person. If not, I'm happy to skype with you. I never charge people living with spondylitis for a private yoga lesson. Depending where you live, I may also be able to recommend someone near you for a private lesson. Privates can be expensive, but I think it's worth it if they get you to a place so that you can take public classes or do a home practice.

call me, toll free, at the SAA office 800-777-8189 ext 231 or email at richard.howard@spondylitis.org if you want to set up a skype practice.

btw, I've had ulcerative colitis flares every so often. so I can also relate to your other question.

Kind regards,
Rich

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Update: GI symptoms and colonoscopy [Re: Nicole_B] #279511
11/30/17 11:22 PM
11/30/17 11:22 PM
New England, USA
N
Nicole_B Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Nicole_B  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
N

New England, USA
Wow thank you for all of the information Rich!

As an update to everyone, I think the colonoscopy looked normal (the doctor came in when I was just waking up, so...). But they also said they didn't take any biopsies. Is that normal? I thought they took biopsies just in case because things can show on biopsy that won't on just the scope. So now I feel like we didn't actually rule much out...

Mid-20's. Undiagnosed upper and low back/SI pain (along with hips & ribs consistently, and neck, knees, heel/bottom of foot, ankles/achilles, and wrists periodically). Diclofenac 75mg 2x/day and Prilosec 40mg 1x/day. PCOS recently diagnosed.
Re: Update: GI symptoms and colonoscopy [Re: ThreeG] #282224
12/15/18 11:42 PM
12/15/18 11:42 PM
PA
K
Kracker55 Offline
Registered Visitor
Kracker55  Offline
Registered Visitor
K

PA
Has anyone gotten bile acid diarrhea after drinking that garbage. I have not been the same since I drank that stuff for my colonoscopy. Could cleaning out your digestive system allow inflammation to get a hold

Re: Update: GI symptoms and colonoscopy [Re: Nicole_B] #282233
12/17/18 04:25 PM
12/17/18 04:25 PM
New York
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
If they see nothing to biopsy, there isn't anything to to biopsy. So they did not see any inflammation or anything else.

Regarding your wrist. If you have any hand issues too, you might want to see a hand therapist. They taught me what to do and not to do for every activity, and proper exercises. I got great exercises for them which has helped prevent more damage. Tell the yoga teacher your problem, I definitely would not put full weight on my wrists.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Update: GI symptoms and colonoscopy [Re: Nicole_B] #282356
01/09/19 07:00 AM
01/09/19 07:00 AM
S
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor
sdot  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

Try to get an appointment when you are having a crazy flare. I am in one of those right now. Every so often I take a naproxin and I spend a good week thinking I won the ketchup eating contest before bed. I am sure ay that point if it was possible for me to schedule a colonoscopy and it not take 2 months to get an appointment they would find so.ething wrong.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto