02/02/18 12:11 AM
G
Gypsy0330 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Gypsy0330  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
G
Hi All,
I'm in the process of deciding which one of these meds to start taking for my new AS diagnosis.

Does anyone have any advice? Pros or cons based on your own experience? Side effects?

Thanks so much!
Gina

Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279906
02/02/18 12:14 PM
02/02/18 12:14 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W
My rheumatologist always starts with Enbrel unless it is contraindicated (which it might be if you have active irritable bowel disease, for example) because his patients have reported experiencing fewer side effects on it than on the other options. It is a once-a-week injection, rather than once every two weeks, if that's important to you. There are studies indicating that you are less likely to develop antibodies to Enbrel than Humira because Enbrel is not a monoclonal antibody drug. That means Enbrel works longer than Humira for many people. Personally, I have experienced very few side effects on Enbrel: hives at the injection site initially (stopped after 2 or 3 months), mild dry mouth (stopped after a few weeks), very mild headaches and nausea on the day of injection (which I still experience sometimes but not every week). I have not been sicker than usual (knock wood). It does take longer to recover when you do get sick. For me the most stressful thing about being on Enbrel is actually acquiring it. I have to use a particular specialty pharmacy and arrange home delivery. For me and my schedule, that has been a real nuisance.

Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279907
02/02/18 02:09 PM
02/02/18 02:09 PM
New York
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor
New York
They all are a little different, what works for one doesn't work for another. It can be a crap shoot. I would first check with your insurance co to see if one is cheaper than the others. Humira worked the best for me, of those three. Simponi I had skin condition all over my face, which left when I stopped it.

Good luck

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279912
02/02/18 05:21 PM
02/02/18 05:21 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Online
Registered Visitor
S
MS
At the time I started biologics, my rheumy generally started with either Enbrel or Humira. I don't think Simponi had been approved for AS yet. Because I had iritis, which Enbrel does not treat, she chose Humira for me. It put my iritis into remission (knock wood) and has worked really well for my AS.

I have no side effects from Humira. Sometimes if I hit a capillary when I inject I'll get a big bruise. But that can happen with any injectible med.

I'm told Humira injections hurt worse than the others. Since I've never had the others, I can't compare. Abbvie is changing the formula of Humira to remove the citric acid, which should reduce the pain of the injection. The new formula is already available in the UK and I've read that people are saying the new formula is better.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic
Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279915
02/02/18 08:40 PM
02/02/18 08:40 PM
G
Gypsy0330 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Gypsy0330  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
G
Thanks everyone for the replies! It's exactly what I was looking for! I think I'm gonna go with Enbrel. As a newbie to biologics, I can't help but be scared of the possible side effects that a lot of people are warning about, like cancer and infection etc. But I don't think I have much choice if I want to improve my quality of life.

Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279917
02/02/18 09:43 PM
02/02/18 09:43 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W
You do need to take some precautions on any biologic because of the increased risk of infection and (mostly non-melanoma) skin cancer, but doctors have not seen, in clinical practice, the numbers of blood cancers (lymphoma, leukemia) that were projected based on the clinical trial data. And as more cancers are linked to chronic inflammation, doctors have begun speculating that biologics may actually decrease your risk for some more common cancers. (I'm anxious to see some hard data on that.) And, just fyi, take an antihistamine before you do your Enbrel injections. It will help with the injection site reactions.

Last edited by Winston; 02/02/18 09:44 PM. Reason: accuracy
Re: Humira vs Enbrel vs Simponi [Re: Gypsy0330] #279920
02/04/18 10:48 PM
02/04/18 10:48 PM
WA
I
Ides Offline
Registered Visitor
Ides  Offline
Registered Visitor
I
WA
I first was on Remicade for 2.5 years until it stopped working
Then I went to Humira and had a severe reaction after only 2.5 months. Had to be off biologics for a year as a result of the reaction.
Then started on Simponi and was on that for 9.5 years. It worked great.
Now on Stelera [I also have Crohn's] and it is working well.

As others have said, everyone is different!

Besides, AS, dealing with Crohn's, peripheral neuropathy, avascular necrosis,, PAD, and a host of other issues.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto