Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Woops messed up... #280119
03/30/18 03:22 AM
03/30/18 03:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
So, I have been on some decent pain relief for 3 months from November to end of January.. I have been taking methotrexate, oxycodone, soma, Prednisone.

I have some how blacked out on my medication and went to hang out with a friend in a altered mental state, when I was with this friend I supposedly did a line of cocaine which also was cut with meth and somehow I also took a benzo, as I became aware at the emergency room. With doctors telling me what was going on they also made a call to my rhemutologist the day of the er visit to see what was going on.

I don't recall any of it to be honest until I became aware. I explained to my rhemutologist what happened and he just called me a liar and told me he won't be prescribing me any opioid or controlled substance ever again, even though I handed him my remaining soma prescription I had very few oxycodones left and miss placed them and that was the day I needed a refill he cut me cold turkey and only provided a worthless withdrawal drug that's supposed to help with nausuea but not the mental and physical, he referred me to a specialist who had a month wait time and I could not get relief. I siffured a week of withdrawals and even had a seizure . He didn't prescribe me any weaning off of the soma or oxy I had been on for 5 months of 60mg oxy a day and 4 soma a day. Now the place I doctor through is pretty big and it is kind of like a Mayo clinic campus so all my doctor's now know of the er visit and it's on my record saying illict drug use utox screen POS for cocaine meth and benzos and says non fatal overdose and will highly unlikely prescribe me anything that will help. This doctor is cruel and acts like he cares when he is 40 minutes late to the appointment and does not care on how he treated me. We tried humira and it worked a little bit the injections maybe the medication was to stingy and painful so we switched. I been in constant pain for 2 months now and if I don't find a doctor that can help me I'm about to score drugs off the street to help my pain hoping that the pills I find are not laced with fetynal and die... which will be better then living with this pain as my doc won't even prescribe a non narcotic muscle relaxer ffs.


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280121
03/30/18 05:03 PM
03/30/18 05:03 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 359
W
Winston Online
Registered Visitor
Winston  Online
Registered Visitor
W
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 359
I've been trying to decide all morning whether to respond to your post. I suspect others have been struggling with that decision as well. To be completely honest with you, I already had you pegged as an addict based on your prior posts singing the praises of opioids a little too enthusiastically. I hope you'll accept what follows for what it is intended to be -- an honest assessment of your situation from a person who talks to addicts every day after they've hit rock bottom, after they've bought those street drugs you mention and fortunately ended up in jail, rather than the morgue. In other words, I'm not judging you; I'm just telling you like it is.

You need drug treatment, not more drugs, or you're going to die. The fact that you characterize what happened to you as a "whoops" is a sign that you're in denial about the extent of your problem. No ethical doctor is going to prescribe you narcotics right now. You need to enroll in a treatment program. That's the only way I can imagine you might regain the trust of your doctors and (possibly) regain access to lawful drugs that you may need to treat your disease.

Note that your doctors will recognize your threat to buy street drugs if you aren't prescribed lawful drugs as emotional manipulation. They (along with nurses, social workers, mental-health professionals, probation officers, etc.) hear those sorts of threats from addicts everyday. Your attempt to shift blame from yourself to your doctors is another common tactic employed by addicts. You took so many painkillers that you blacked out, used dangerous street drugs (dangerous for anyone, but particularly dangerous for people like us with a much higher risk of cardiovascular death), and overdosed. Your doctors didn't make you do that. Your predicament is 100% your fault, and you need to come to terms with that, which a good treatment program will help you do.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280123
03/30/18 08:14 PM
03/30/18 08:14 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
C
CBMom Offline
Registered Visitor
CBMom  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
I have also been wondering whether to reply...we all told you before you need to be focusing on treating the disease, instead of just using pain meds. You insisted biologics were not for you and you absolutely needed opioids...

Now you have REALLY messed up and it is unlikely any doctor will prescribe opioids to you ever. I suggest you try to actually treat the AS with drugs that treat the inflammation, since pain meds are no longer an option (and are anyway only supposed to be used as a last resort). You said you tried Humira but the injection stung? 10 seconds of pain seems worth it if it could really help you. It can take 3 to 6 months to work, so you need to be patient. Also, they are changing the formulation of Humira to remove the preservative that stings - the no sting formulation will be released for pediatric patients this summer and I suppose eventually for adult patients.

If you absolutely cannot deal with the 10 seconds of pain from Humira, then try another anti-TNF. Simponi is basically painless. Simponi Aria is the infusion form - just an IV. Enbrel is a shot and I didn't think hurt much at all either. I thought Humira hurt, but if you ice before and after the shot, you do get used to it. And if it reduces the AS pain, it's very worth it.

Along with a biologic, try an NSAID. If they hurt your stomach, but you can use a PPI to protect your stomach (Prevacid, Prilosec) and try something like Celebrex, which is easier on the GI tract. I had to try about 10 or 12 NSAIDs before I found one that worked and didn't bother my stomach. NSAIDs can really help with the pain.

There are more treatment options now - if you fail multiple anti-TNFs (Enbrel, Remicade, Cimzia and Simponi, besides Humira), then you can try Cosentyx, an IL-17 inhibitor.

I think you need to come to terms with the fact that 1) you used opioids and other street drugs irresponsibly and need to get help and 2) With the opioid epidemic, no one is going to prescribe them to you - for good reason and 3) you need to treat the inflammation caused by AS instead of just trying to mask with the pain with muscle relaxants and painkillers.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280124
03/30/18 08:29 PM
03/30/18 08:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
C
Cake Offline
Registered Visitor
Cake  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
In the current climate we are in (opioid hysteria), you have made a very unfortunate decision, and you are going to suffer because of it. I say that not to judge you in any way. It is a fact. Those of us who have been on long-term treatment with opioids understand how precarious it is for us. And the majority of us comply with our mandatory pain contracts 100% because we know how important pain control is.

You're going to need to work with a doctor to get some combination of medications to keep your disease control. I'm on morphine, but I'm also on a bunch of other drugs and there is no way the morphine would touch the pain on its own. It is merely the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I'm thinking that if you take total responsibility for your bad decision, start consistently seeing a rheumatologist and following every direction they give you, offer to do UA tests, maybe even random ones, you might at some point earn back your ability to get some pain medication. This will be after you get on all the other meds used to treat these sorts of diseases.

It can take a lot of time to get the right combination of medications. I spent years going through nearly every medication that exists until we had a combination that helped my symptoms and had side-effects I could tolerate. It takes a TON of patience. Tons.

Best wishes to you~~

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Winston] #280125
03/30/18 09:12 PM
03/30/18 09:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
So Winston, I'm an addict even though I could of got them the day I was denied a refill, but decided to try to tough out the drug withdrawals? . One simple mistake I took my normal dose of meds I even told the doctor I was cutting down on the muscle relaxers with no support from him to help get off of them obviously because of black outs I was having with the combination , I took them as prescribed and didnt take more then I was suppose tom I never before have I tried the drugs besides benzos from a dentist for after a procedure I got which was years ago. I am not going to take responsibility for something I don't remember I blamed it on a black out. I also am not putting the blame on the doctor on my actions but the way he handled the situation he cut me off of both drugs cold turkey which the soma withdrawal plus the oxy withdrawal is torture and even though the oxy one ain't life threatening the soma basically made me have seizures, no methadone no Suboxone help from a month away to get the physical aspects off. After a week didn't crave anything but was in extreme pain.


. I was actually using other anti tnf such as humira ect and now going to be starting cosyx something, I'm just saying the current treatment plan is not going well, and there's also nothing stopping me from going to another provider and asking for drugs if I was truly seeking these drugs.


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280126
03/30/18 09:21 PM
03/30/18 09:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
So there seems to be an equation. There is the debilitating effects of pain and fatigue as related to the relative relief of various drug classes. In my experience - admittedly limited - NSAIDS work well for pain relief with limitations. Opioids can help with breakthrough pain i

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: CBMom] #280127
03/30/18 09:25 PM
03/30/18 09:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Cbmom

during the treatment they we're incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods of a month or 2 before trying another one because of dangerous skin rashes ect that kept coming and going. The humira ain't just a 10 second burn it is like sticking a knife into me and I can't finish giving the meds even with a numbing swab. So they are switching to the cosyx once every 28 days instead like the humira every 14 days. Plus I don't see why everyone is saying I have addiction problems based on the relief and the information I decided not to share before, even though I was being kind of over zelous....this is first time ever I have even tried the drug and would not of if I was alert. Guess no one really expects mental altered state after 3 months of no side effects and the soma started messing with my memories and I started expierencing short term memory loss and a black out without remembering my actions for days at a time or aware. But hey it's my fault right ?


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: MartinMMM] #280128
03/30/18 09:29 PM
03/30/18 09:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
sorry - mistyped. ...breakthrough pain but seem to not relieve pain so much as help you not care about it. With the unfortunate side effect of also leaving you somewhat apathetic. For myself there are things I still want to do in this life so I avoid opioids. Maybe I don't experience as much pain as others. Aside from this however, I hate the idea of being dependent on others. Yet I've had to become dependent on drugs: Biologics, BP meds and other non-opioid pain killers. So I'm not going to judge our friend thesnakejakw on his choices in the face of difficult decisions. But I wonder, what does he/she want to do with their life? Opioid abuse can be devastating.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Cake] #280129
03/30/18 09:37 PM
03/30/18 09:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
And cake
Thank you all for your responses. I do realize that, but I have been giving clean uas each time they tested and not one illict substance in me, but he only tested every few months. How can I go to an addicton specialist if I'm not addicted to any of those drugs and don't have cravings for any literally first time I have used those drugs unaware and am sickened that I would even try those ? I have also been seeing him every 2-3 months. I have been trying other medications but while trying the medications I have no pain relief people here also say that I'm threatening to go on the street for meds.? It ain't a threat, it's a last resort and a plead for help as I am just showing how bad this situation is. Also when my doctor cut me off , I didn't disagree with him I told him that I told him what happens and he can decide what to do after he called me a liar obviously to provoke a reaction out of me but I saw through it and just gave a calm response . I don't think people realize the physical and mental trauma of a withdrawal like that is and how it affected me emotionally and physically still am having ptsd like moments remembering how much fear and how weak I was and sick during the withdrawals


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: MartinMMM] #280130
03/30/18 09:40 PM
03/30/18 09:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Martin it's not opioid abuse it's opioid treatment, it's only opioid abuse if I decide to go get it from the street which is easy this day and age. I am allergic to tyenol and my liver enzymes are elevated 2x normal levels and I can't even take nsaids even with 2 anti acids as I have severe gi problems as well. What do I do ?


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280132
03/30/18 09:56 PM
03/30/18 09:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
Yes. I can't take NSAIDS either. For 15 years they kept me going but now they cause intense gastritis. Tylenol doesn't do anything for pain in my case. In a sense, there's nothing to be done. Keep trialing biologics until one helps mitigate the pain. I've been doing yoga to help with pain and maintain flexibility. And please understand: I hate the pain. It's awful, it often keeps me from doing what I want, it interrupts my life, my thoughts, my relationships and my ambitions. I understand about using opioids as a treatment but you've run into a problem. You're going to have to come up with a work around. Either work with the medical system and redevelop relationships there or find alternative pain relief.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: MartinMMM] #280133
03/30/18 10:11 PM
03/30/18 10:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
I also suffer from what I believe Is pieceing together is extreme ibs my GI doc told me it could be ibs unsure, I have celiacs disease but blood test showed I followed gluten free diet for a year now. And when the opioids stopped so did my relief , stomach pain got worse and I have more then 5 bowel movements a day... Trying alternative medications for it without much success


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280136
03/31/18 05:34 PM
03/31/18 05:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
C
CBMom Offline
Registered Visitor
CBMom  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
Originally Posted by Thesnakejakw
Cbmom

during the treatment they we're incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods of a month or 2 before trying another one because of dangerous skin rashes ect that kept coming and going. The humira ain't just a 10 second burn it is like sticking a knife into me and I can't finish giving the meds even with a numbing swab. So they are switching to the cosyx once every 28 days instead like the humira every 14 days. Plus I don't see why everyone is saying I have addiction problems based on the relief and the information I decided not to share before, even though I was being kind of over zelous....this is first time ever I have even tried the drug and would not of if I was alert. Guess no one really expects mental altered state after 3 months of no side effects and the soma started messing with my memories and I started expierencing short term memory loss and a black out without remembering my actions for days at a time or aware. But hey it's my fault right ?


Even if it was just a mistake, it is VERY unlikely that in the current climate that you will get opioids from a doctor, at least until you can build up a relationship with one and get him/her to trust you. And even then, it may not be possible, considering you used cocaine and meth.

So why not focus on other treatments? If you can't take NSAIDs, you can try Voltaren gel. It is topical and so it shouldn't bother your stomach. But have you tried NSAIDs with a PPI? I have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and the only way I can take them is with a PPI (like Prevacid) and Carafate. I get gastritis every now and then but treat it with the Carafate. For me, it is worth it because there are studies that show NSAIDs can prevent progression and also, they really help with pain. And I have severe AS but my IBD isn't so bad.
There are MANY NSAIDs you can try. And you don't necessarily have to take one long-term - just until the biologic kicks in (which can take several months).

Humira is painful - I started it at age 16 and was on it for several years. But what I am saying is that the relief was worth it for at the most 15 second of pain every week (yes, I took it weekly). The syringe is less painful than the pen because you can control the rate of the injection. I used the pen and iced before and after the shot. I did it while watching something so I was distracted.

You can also try heat, try ice, try a TENS unit, try PT - there are many options.

You can also increase Methotrexate if your peripheral joints are painful. If the tablets are giving you GI issues, then try the injection (which is basically painless).

And try Cosentyx and understand that it will take some time to work. And maybe try the syringe this time, if you find the pens painful (though Cosentyx is much less painful than Humira).

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: CBMom] #280138
03/31/18 11:16 PM
03/31/18 11:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Well thank you for the advice, yes I have tried celebrex with zantac and omperzole just gives me bad stomach pains and I know what the result of that is.

I can see what the gel does forgot if I tried it or not . And it's a prefilled syringe i'll be getting, i am already on injectable methotrexate which is killing my stomach as is. I try brief periods of ice and heat and I have done 3 visits for PT with no gain , I still do the exercises if I feel comfortable doing so.


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280139
04/01/18 03:07 AM
04/01/18 03:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
C
CBMom Offline
Registered Visitor
CBMom  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
You could try therapy in a pool, or even just gentle exercises in a pool. Massages can also help with back pain - they help relax the muscles (since you can't get a prescription for muscle relaxants). Physical therapists can do massage and loosen up your back, as well as teach you exercises to build muscle, to better support your joints. And insurance will usually cover it. Physical therapy takes a long time to work - it is not a quick fix. You need to do it for weeks to months for it to help with the pain. 3 visits aren't going to do anything.

There are lots of other things pain management specialists can do - have you ever tried joint injections? For example, if your SI joints are very painful, then you can get steroids injected into them. They can also inject steroids into the facet joints of the spine. If the injections are successful, you can have a radiofrequency ablation done - that essentially burns the nerve so you no longer feel pain is that area. It will eventually grow back but it should give you months of pain relief.

They can also do trigger point injections into knots in your muscles, which will help a lot with muscle spasms.

You could also try acupuncture but that you would probably have to pay for out of pocket (though sometimes insurance will cover it).

You can get a cheap TENS unit online and see if that helps. Or you can try one in physical therapy - then your physical therapist should be able to get you one and insurance will pay for it and for supplies.

Opioids are a quick fix - quick pain relief, there is no denying that. But they come with lots of side effects and are no longer available to you. So there are lots of options you can explore but you need to be patient. Most of them are not quick fixes.

And if you are in terrible pain and cannot be patient, then why not ask for steroids until your new biologic kicks in and you can find other kinds of pain management that work for you? Steroids help much more than opioids because they will control the inflammation. You don't want to be on them long-term, but for a month or two, they can help a LOT.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280140
04/01/18 04:15 PM
04/01/18 04:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,564
New York
Banana Online
Registered Visitor
Banana  Online
Registered Visitor
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,564
New York
If you get proper treatment, you will very rarely need anything strong. To describe it as a whoops? LIke how did that happen? You don't remember? Someone shoved the cocaine and meth and other meds up your nose? Sorry, I hope you can see clear that a different effort needs to be done. You will not be able to get opioids from anyone because of your "whoops". So make every effort to try treatment. Really it will help.


Anna


Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280152
04/02/18 07:56 PM
04/02/18 07:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,129
United States
N
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor
NotMeToo  Offline
Registered Visitor
N
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,129
United States
Originally Posted by Thesnakejakw
Oct 9, 2017 ... I am just not a suitable person for biologics at the moment, but could change in the future.

....NSAIDS don't work for me as it causes stomach damage.


Originally Posted by Thesnakejakw
March 30, 2018
Cbmom

during the treatment they we're incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods of a month or 2 before trying another one because of dangerous skin rashes ect that kept coming and going. The humira ain't just a 10 second burn it is like sticking a knife into me and I can't finish giving the meds even with a numbing swab. So they are switching to the cosyx once every 28 days instead like the humira every 14 days. Plus I don't see why everyone is saying I have addiction problems based on the relief and the information I decided not to share before, even though I was being kind of over zelous....this is first time ever I have even tried the drug and would not of if I was alert. Guess no one really expects mental altered state after 3 months of no side effects and the soma started messing with my memories and I started expierencing short term memory loss and a black out without remembering my actions for days at a time or aware. But hey it's my fault right ?


You stated that you were on "decent pain relief" until the end of January. Presumably, the overdose occurred at that point and your doctor (quite correctly) refused further narcotic prescriptions. You mentioned that you have been in "constant pain for two months". You also threw in a mention of trying and failing Humira as it is "too painful" and caused "dangerous skin rashes" but it is unclear if that was before or after the overdose. I'm confused by your story. In October you were NOT a "suitable person for biologics" but now 5 1/2 months later you say that they were "incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods a month or two before trying another one". How many times did you pause or do you really mean that you stopped the drug altogether? You mention that you are now going to start Cosentyx. If you started Humira after the overdose, and have been off of it for a month or two. Does that mean that you tried one injection? Two? If you were taking it before the overdose, when did you become a "suitable" candidate?

Many posters tried to tell you that you were overdoing the narcotic and muscle relaxant treatment. Honestly I was stunned that any Rheumatologist would prescribe a young, newly diagnosed patient 60MG of Oxycodone a day - 30MG daily is considered quite a high dose - and not have you on a medication that could actually control the disease and let you get off of the opioid. Your doctor may have treated you harshly because he was likely disciplined for overprescribing opioids. You have described the treatment facility as Mayo Clinic-like so Im sure you know that means there is a lot of peer review going on.

As far as your description of the pain associated with the Humira injection - don't you think you are overplaying it just a bit? It is pretty we'll known that the preservative in Humira makes the injection sting. Some people are bothered by it more than others. However, I will leave you with my then 11 year old son's response when his doctor asked him about the pain with the injection: "If that sting hurts people so much they refuse to take the medicine, maybe their spondylitis isn't really too bad." Out of the months of babes. (Of course if there was a "dangerous" skin rash, that would be another story.)


Not Me Too!
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280154
04/02/18 11:13 PM
04/02/18 11:13 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
C
CBMom Offline
Registered Visitor
CBMom  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
NJ, USA
The Humira injection is going to be changing too. First for pediatric patients and then hopefully for adults. The new formulation is already being used in Europe and most people say it is less painful.

There are things you can do to reduce the pain that I have mentioned - ice before the shot. Distract yourself during the shot. If you can't complete a shot, then have a friend or parent or someone help you. Or try the syringe - you can inject more slowly and some people say that helps. Some pediatric rheumatologists allow parents to add Lidocaine to their kid's shot. That changes the pH of the shot and makes it less painful. Here is a study:
http://acrabstracts.org/abstract/ad...that-is-the-question-a-comparison-study/

I've never tried it because it seems like a lot of trouble for 10 seconds of pain...but you can ask about it. Your rheumatologist may not know about it because it is usually done for kids but you could ask him/her to consult with a pediatric rheumatologist.

By "dangerous skin reactions" do you mean injection site reaction? Like you get a big welt where you did the shot? Because those aren't usually considered dangerous and often will go away with time. You can take Benadryl before the shot to prevent them or at least make them smaller and less itchy. I have had them with both Enbrel and Cosentyx. In both cases, they went away after a few shots.

Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Thesnakejakw] #280155
04/03/18 01:15 AM
04/03/18 01:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Toronto
Sean O Offline
Registered Visitor
Sean O  Offline
Registered Visitor
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Toronto
I am a recovering alcoholic with decades of sobriety behind me. i am only able to be precribed opioids after a long period of abstinence and am only prescribed a relatively low potency painkiller.

Speaking from experience, you are completely responsible for (1) getting into a blackout; and, (2) everything you do in a blackout. If you had committed a crime during a blackout, you would still go to jail. A judge wouldn't buy the "I was in a blackout" defense and neither is any ethical doctors. Those doctors all did rotations in emergency. They are well acquainted with addicts and alcoholics.

No physician with any ethics is going to prescribe you opioids after this unless and until you have an extended period of abstinence and certainly not if you fail to take any accountability for your blackout or what you did during it.


Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Banana] #280157
04/03/18 08:03 AM
04/03/18 08:03 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Banana
If you get proper treatment, you will very rarely need anything strong. To describe it as a whoops? LIke how did that happen? You don't remember? Someone shoved the cocaine and meth and other meds up your nose? Sorry, I hope you can see clear that a different effort needs to be done. You will not be able to get opioids from anyone because of your "whoops". So make every effort to try treatment. Really it will help.


Anna



Banna sorry for the late reply I was rather enjoying my Easter off. Okay let me explain. I been regularly taking my medications with no side effects as prescribed. Then I started getting medication interactions between the soma and oxycodone. I reported to the doctor that I was going into episodes of doing stupid things and not remembering like walking with my shirt inside out ect, we agreed to lower the soma dose instead of 5 a day 4 a day for the next month. A few weeks l later I complained again and he did not instruct to change the dose and in fact didn't even reply. You can see where it leads ....






Last edited by Thesnakejakw; 04/03/18 08:29 AM.

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: NotMeToo] #280158
04/03/18 08:20 AM
04/03/18 08:20 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by NotMeToo
Originally Posted by Thesnakejakw
Oct 9, 2017 ... I am just not a suitable person for biologics at the moment, but could change in the future.

....NSAIDS don't work for me as it causes stomach damage.


Originally Posted by Thesnakejakw
March 30, 2018
Cbmom

during the treatment they we're incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods of a month or 2 before trying another one because of dangerous skin rashes ect that kept coming and going. The humira ain't just a 10 second burn it is like sticking a knife into me and I can't finish giving the meds even with a numbing swab. So they are switching to the cosyx once every 28 days instead like the humira every 14 days. Plus I don't see why everyone is saying I have addiction problems based on the relief and the information I decided not to share before, even though I was being kind of over zelous....this is first time ever I have even tried the drug and would not of if I was alert. Guess no one really expects mental altered state after 3 months of no side effects and the soma started messing with my memories and I started expierencing short term memory loss and a black out without remembering my actions for days at a time or aware. But hey it's my fault right ?


You stated that you were on "decent pain relief" until the end of January. Presumably, the overdose occurred at that point and your doctor (quite correctly) refused further narcotic prescriptions. You mentioned that you have been in "constant pain for two months". You also threw in a mention of trying and failing Humira as it is "too painful" and caused "dangerous skin rashes" but it is unclear if that was before or after the overdose. I'm confused by your story. In October you were NOT a "suitable person for biologics" but now 5 1/2 months later you say that they were "incorporating biologics in the treatment but had to pause for periods a month or two before trying another one". How many times did you pause or do you really mean that you stopped the drug altogether? You mention that you are now going to start Cosentyx. If you started Humira after the overdose, and have been off of it for a month or two. Does that mean that you tried one injection? Two? If you were taking it before the overdose, when did you become a "suitable" candidate?

Many posters tried to tell you that you were overdoing the narcotic and muscle relaxant treatment. Honestly I was stunned that any Rheumatologist would prescribe a young, newly diagnosed patient 60MG of Oxycodone a day - 30MG daily is considered quite a high dose - and not have you on a medication that could actually control the disease and let you get off of the opioid. Your doctor may have treated you harshly because he was likely disciplined for overprescribing opioids. You have described the treatment facility as Mayo Clinic-like so Im sure you know that means there is a lot of peer review going on.

As far as your description of the pain associated with the Humira injection - don't you think you are overplaying it just a bit? It is pretty we'll known that the preservative in Humira makes the injection sting. Some people are bothered by it more than others. However, I will leave you with my then 11 year old son's response when his doctor asked him about the pain with the injection: "If that sting hurts people so much they refuse to take the medicine, maybe their spondylitis isn't really too bad." Out of the months of babes. (Of course if there was a "dangerous" skin rash, that would be another story.)






Nottome

in November they wanted me to try the humira. But I reported skin rashes and was getting sick as well so they held it off until everything cooled down.

In January I took a injection at the office and it was painful. Tried taking it at home and each time it felt like a knife going through my skin I did everything to try to make it work 2 injections I couldn't even complete the injections, and I do still have skin rashes all over my legs.

By the way your little story about your kid does not have anything to do with this. It is painless to some but not everybody. I am a diabetic type one I poke my self every day with needles and I don't even have a pump . I asked the nurse and doc why it Stang and they said it's the medicine interacting with the body and some people are more sensitive then others . I also take methotrexate injections weekly , and that has no effect either. If you are trying to say my pain Is not as bad and I should suck it up , than I feel sorry for your lack of remorse.

By the way the doctor who prescribed me initially is no longer my rhem she was a much nicer doctor , and she would of stopped the Soma's by getting me off of them quick , like a benzodiazapiene immediately after I reported problems with the drug. She started me low on tramadol then hydrocodone pain was bad then I had stomach surgery stomach surgens gave me Dilaudid after the surgery for a few days then went down to oxycodone prescribed the dose of oxycodone from hydrocodone, but my pain was so bad I couldn't go back down to the hydros as my stomach was bothering me by then my tolerance was up there so they kept prescribing me the oxycodone.


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: CBMom] #280159
04/03/18 08:25 AM
04/03/18 08:25 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by CBMom
The Humira injection is going to be changing too. First for pediatric patients and then hopefully for adults. The new formulation is already being used in Europe and most people say it is less painful.

There are things you can do to reduce the pain that I have mentioned - ice before the shot. Distract yourself during the shot. If you can't complete a shot, then have a friend or parent or someone help you. Or try the syringe - you can inject more slowly and some people say that helps. Some pediatric rheumatologists allow parents to add Lidocaine to their kid's shot. That changes the pH of the shot and makes it less painful. Here is a study:
http://acrabstracts.org/abstract/ad...that-is-the-question-a-comparison-study/

I've never tried it because it seems like a lot of trouble for 10 seconds of pain...but you can ask about it. Your rheumatologist may not know about it because it is usually done for kids but you could ask him/her to consult with a pediatric rheumatologist.

By "dangerous skin reactions" do you mean injection site reaction? Like you get a big welt where you did the shot? Because those aren't usually considered dangerous and often will go away with time. You can take Benadryl before the shot to prevent them or at least make them smaller and less itchy. I have had them with both Enbrel and Cosentyx. In both cases, they went away after a few shots.


Cb mom No I am talking about skin rashes not at injection sites but literally red patches I had for months on my legs and feet they keep coming and going and I think it has to do with methotrexate ever since I started the patches got more worse each time I was going to see dermatologist about it but I cancelled the appointment as it went away but now it's back . My cosentyx was approved though insurance so now I have to get that through the mail. Thank you for the advice I can ask if the cosentyx don't work.

Last edited by Thesnakejakw; 04/03/18 08:31 AM.

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Re: Woops messed up... [Re: Sean O] #280160
04/03/18 08:28 AM
04/03/18 08:28 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
T
Thesnakejakw Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Sean O
I am a recovering alcoholic with decades of sobriety behind me. i am only able to be precribed opioids after a long period of abstinence and am only prescribed a relatively low potency painkiller.

Speaking from experience, you are completely responsible for (1) getting into a blackout; and, (2) everything you do in a blackout. If you had committed a crime during a blackout, you would still go to jail. A judge wouldn't buy the "I was in a blackout" defense and neither is any ethical doctors. Those doctors all did rotations in emergency. They are well acquainted with addicts and alcoholics.

No physician with any ethics is going to prescribe you opioids after this unless and until you have an extended period of abstinence and certainly not if you fail to take any accountability for your blackout or what you did during it.




Sean thanks for stating the obvious bro, by the way did you not read anything in this article? Even if a unwanted medication interaction happens your still responsible ? Seems legit thanks for your input though.


Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1