05/02/18 05:40 PM
05/02/18 05:40 PM
A
awesomeman Offline OP
Registered Visitor
awesomeman  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
A
Just curious it looks like my left eye is starting to act up and they're seeing some signs of inflammation. In my case my eye doesn't feel dry and isn't red. My eyeball just hurts....kinda like I punched in the eye. Out of curiosity, what does your uveitis feel like

diagnosed at 32.
HLA B27 Positive
Currently on Simponi, Tramadol, and celebrex
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280275
05/02/18 09:22 PM
05/02/18 09:22 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor
S
MS
It depends on the location of the uveitis as to whether it hurts or not. Anterior uveitis (also called iritis) is in the front of the eye and can be REALLY painful. Intermediate uveitis (in the middle of the eye, also called pars planitis) and posterior uveitis (in the back of the eye) are typically not painful.

Anterior uveitis / iritis is the type of uveitis normally associated with AS. For me, it felt like someone poking my eye with an ice pick. If I closed my eye and gently pressed my eyelid, the eye felt very sore and painful. Light sensitivity is another symptom. I had to wear sunglasses even indoors when the iritis got really bad. My eye never felt especially dry until after I started the steroid drops, which made it feel very dry. My eye never looked bloodshot, just irritated, and sometimes had the red ring around the iris.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280276
05/03/18 02:37 PM
05/03/18 02:37 PM
A
awesomeman Offline OP
Registered Visitor
awesomeman  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
A
yeah thats pretty much what I was feeling. What a kick in the nuts man. I've really been hoping to avoid eye issues, but yeah f*ck this AS

diagnosed at 32.
HLA B27 Positive
Currently on Simponi, Tramadol, and celebrex
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280278
05/03/18 09:37 PM
05/03/18 09:37 PM
Whidbey Island WA
W
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor
WhiteCell  Offline
Registered Visitor
W
Whidbey Island WA
My symptoms were extreme sensitivity to light, ridiculous pain and redness.

Its been ten years since a bout like that. Thank Remicade for that.

Starting at 18 yrs old > Reiter's Syndrome. Diagnosed 2001 Ank Spon.
Started Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.

Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
Right eye Ahmed Shunt 2016.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2008.

ICU RN - Seattle, WA

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280280
05/04/18 03:24 AM
05/04/18 03:24 AM
B
Brody96 Offline
Registered Visitor
Brody96  Offline
Registered Visitor
B
For me it came on relatively suddenly and felt like an intense ache/sharp poking that didn’t let up. I was extremely sensitive to the light too but my eye was also red (not super red, but definitely irritated looking). I didn’t have any dryness with it but I kept my eye closed as much as possible too until I got to my eye doctor’s office.

22yr old female. Ankylosing Spondylitis and Lupus.
5 hip surgeries and counting

Dog mom of 3 rescues laugh

Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280437
05/24/18 07:17 PM
05/24/18 07:17 PM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
achala  Offline
Registered Visitor
A
mine is the 3rd episode in 7 months. the 2nd one was hard. first few days I had dry like eye, then a bit red, the next few days upper left corner of the eye was sore/painful, then all went red, light sensitive, painful, totally blurred vision and i couldnt open my pupil even with corticosteroids for 1 week. ouch. then now I am on the 3rd flare, noticed quite early, with a little bit of redness, when i roll the eye feels a bit like i lost traction there, - monitoring carefully with tobradex

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness, spreading across Achilles/sacroiliac, thoracic pains.
diagnosed with iridociclitis April 2018 (3 flares so far)
suspected diagnosis of Eosinophilic Gastritis
No signs of inflammations on MRI`s
Currently on Arcoxia 90mg per day (somehow managing the pain and inflammation to some extent as not Iritis at this point)
Hemp Oil - good for managing neck pain
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280445
05/25/18 11:54 AM
05/25/18 11:54 AM
Boston, MA
M
Miguelito Offline
Registered Visitor
Miguelito  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Boston, MA
I had one bout of unilateral, anterior uveitis, which is, I believe, the hallmark AS uveitis. Mine didn't hurt that I noticed, at all. For a couple of weeks I thought that I had just burst a blood vessel in my eye while holding my breath underwater. Then my mom said it looked terrible, and did it bother my sight? I said no, but closed my other eye and discovered I couldn't see very well at all with that eye.

I went to the local ER that night (we were going on vacation the next day) and was there for 6 or 8 hours while they tried to figure out what was wrong. They were about to have me go to an eye hospital in the city when the doctor found out (I forget how) that I had arthritis, and then he realized what it was.

I have been very sensitive to sunlight for a number of years. Ten? More? no idea.

As an aside, two days later while on vacation I scratched the cornea on my other eye while snapping a branch over my knee while making a fire. THAT hurt! THAT was the most miserable night of my life (even compared to vertigo, or one of these fevers where you wish you were dead). I spent an entire night awake with both my eyes closed, and the only thing that reduced the pain to livable was by staring my eyes up and to one corner, while concentrating on the number thirteen (I have no idea why the latter mattered, but clearly certain thoughts cause the eyes to move). Don't EVER snap a branch without either closing your eyes or wearing goggles.

1981 - Hip/knee problems led to early, correct AS diagnosis (amazingly!).
1990's -Doctor mistakenly diagnosed me with Psoriatic Arthritis. Bad doctor!
2000's - Increasingly problematic "sciatica". Guffaw.
2011 - Diagnosed with end-stage right hip arthritis.
2012 - Right HSR.
2013 - Partially torn Achilles.
2014 - Left HSR.
2016 - Re-diagnosis of AS, Prescribed Humira. Achilles surgery followed by subsequent re-tear.
2018 (Now). Doing pretty good. Humira working, Achilles finally better.
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280472
05/29/18 01:53 PM
05/29/18 01:53 PM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
achala  Offline
Registered Visitor
A
hi, just a quick question.
most recent Uveitis attack left some floaters in both of my eyes (strange because the right eye was not affected by Uveitis). There are some floaters inside the vitreous which I didnt have in the past. I have been told those are due to ageing, and for people with frequent eye inflammations cannot be resolved trough vitrectomy.
have you faced this issue yourself anyone?
thanks

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness, spreading across Achilles/sacroiliac, thoracic pains.
diagnosed with iridociclitis April 2018 (3 flares so far)
suspected diagnosis of Eosinophilic Gastritis
No signs of inflammations on MRI`s
Currently on Arcoxia 90mg per day (somehow managing the pain and inflammation to some extent as not Iritis at this point)
Hemp Oil - good for managing neck pain
Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: achala] #280480
05/29/18 10:17 PM
05/29/18 10:17 PM
S
seymour Offline
Registered Visitor
seymour  Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by achala
hi, just a quick question.
most recent Uveitis attack left some floaters in both of my eyes (strange because the right eye was not affected by Uveitis). There are some floaters inside the vitreous which I didnt have in the past. I have been told those are due to ageing, and for people with frequent eye inflammations cannot be resolved trough vitrectomy.
have you faced this issue yourself anyone?
thanks

I haven’t suffered from uveitis yet but I have floaters that I only see when looking at a bright blue sky.

If they’re not super intrusive I wouldn’t worry.

Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280569
06/15/18 05:07 AM
06/15/18 05:07 AM
Wisconsin
P
Pixie Offline
First time visitor
Pixie  Offline
First time visitor
P
Wisconsin
I have had 5 iritis flares in the last year. I am experiencing a flare in my right eye now. Stats off feeling irritated and looks pinkish red. By next day it feels like you were hit in the eye with a hard baseball. Light sensitivity followed by blurred and reduced vision and red streaks around the iris. Your pupil my even change shape. I learned the hard way that just because the pain stops there is still inflammation. At the first sign of pain and irritation see an eye doctor.
My first flare was a 4+. All I could see w in my right eye was white cotton fuzz (white blood cells). My iris stuck to my lens and my eye pressure was high. Took 6 months of steroid drops and dilating drops to finally stop the flare. My repeated flares in both eyes led to multiple floaters, starting cataracts, virtuous detachment and reduced vision. The floaters fade and you get used to them. I have over 30 spots and 2 squiggle lines in my vision all the time and I still work in an office with dual monitors. No way to have them removed. They will just come back.
I have had lots of blood tests. All came back normal just my ANA pattern is speckled. I am a 37 year old female and HLA B27 negative. It took three facet joint injections and a Rhizyotomy to reduce my back pain. It was my eye doctor that made the connection to AS and referred me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondylitis. My hips are fuzed and I have a vertebra in my upper back starting to fuze. I also have scoliosis, hyper mobile joints and hyperhidrosis.
Humira works great. It's just when I have to pause treatment to take antibiotics for sinus issues then I get a flare and my pain increases. I now know what it feels like and I just start using steroid drops before I see my eye doctor. He makes sure I have a bottle of Pred Forte (steroid) and Homotropaline (dialating) drops at all times since AS can cause repeated flares. Humira works great at stopping any flares when I am on it.

Re: whats your uveitis feel like [Re: awesomeman] #280745
07/11/18 10:37 PM
07/11/18 10:37 PM
Abq NM
A
apfurste Offline
Registered Visitor
apfurste  Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Abq NM
I live at 5500 feet and the UV is intense here. I carry the pred forte and immediately nip the iritis before it gets out of control. Up until lately, this was the worst part of my AS. I ALWAYS WEAR MY SUNGLASSES OUTSIDE. I cant stress this enough. It is very good for prevention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto