Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Question to those who switched biologics
seymour #280498 06/01/18 03:51 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by seymour
If CRP was high at baseline then I guess it’s a useful tool to assess levels of inflammation later on? My rheumy seems to think that in my case disease activity and CRP levels correlate strongly.

Yes, it's a useful tool for you. Your rheumy has documented your CRP levels over the years and has determined that there is a correlation. It sounds like she has a good handle on your condition. Trust her when she say's you're doing ok. smile

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
seymour #280505 06/01/18 05:18 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
And yet I have a nagging pain in my upper back, my legs are weak, my neck is tight and my joints crack way more. And my chest feels tight.

It’s depressing to know something is not right and be told that all tests are fine. I’m used to having terrible test results when I’m in pain.

I’m wondering if I’m going crazy.

Last edited by seymour; 06/01/18 05:20 PM.
seymour #280510 06/02/18 03:34 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
If I feel stiffer or crack more does it mean I’m fusing??

Last edited by seymour; 06/02/18 03:37 PM.
seymour #280524 06/04/18 02:43 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by seymour
If I feel stiffer or crack more does it mean I’m fusing??

Can someone reassure me? My neck is stiffer than usual since my flare started and it makes more sounds. Am I fusing or is there no direct correlation?

seymour #280525 06/04/18 03:40 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I'll re-assure you . . . It's not necessarily a sign of fusion or even necessarily related to your AS. I have degenerative arthritis in my neck from sitting in the same position in front of a computer for the last 20-25 years. My neck makes all sorts of noises and gets stiff sometimes. I have no fusion there.

seymour #280526 06/04/18 03:55 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Thank you. I've had two blood tests in the last two weeks and none showed any signs of inflammation, and yet my back hurts, my chest hurts and my neck feels stiff.

I'm at a loss as to how I can have pain but nothing in my blood. Usually my CRP shoots up when I hurt.

My doctor takes it as confirmation that Enbrel is still controlling inflammation but I feel like sh*t.

seymour #280527 06/04/18 05:02 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Seymour, as you told someone just a couple of days ago, pain and fusion do not have a direct correlation. Some people are surprised to find they have fusion because they've never had pain, and some people never fuse despite severe pain.

Pain can come from other reasons besides inflammation. Stress can cause pain. Stress can cause your muscles to tighten up, which will cause pain. It's also possible that stress can cause pain by affecting brain chemicals. And as we've said before, stress can cause you to be more aware of pain that was always there but not noticed as much.

You're about the age of my children, so forgive me for going mama bear on you, but you really, really need to get a handle on your anxiety. You are going to literally make yourself sick if you don't get it under control, and I don't think you can do it by yourself at this point. Ask your rheumatologist or your primary to give you a referral. Depression is an organic condition, not a character weakness. There are medications that can help. Whether medication would help in your case is something only a qualified medical professional can tell you. They can also teach you how to deal with with the stress and anxiety so that it doesn't make you sick.

Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
seymour #280528 06/04/18 05:13 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Hi Ginny,

I've been referred to a therapist and I'm starting in two days. I'm also taking anti-depressants and sleeping pills for my anxiety.

I usually have it under control. It's been years since I've panicked like that. I just don't think stress can cause such a high level of back pain.

Is there an AS-related reason that could cause pain without inflammation? This is getting stupid. I'll press my rheumy for something to crush that flare...

seymour #280529 06/04/18 06:56 PM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I'm so glad you will be seeing a therapist. smile Please ask him/her about the correlation between stress and pain and get his/her thoughts on whether stress can cause the level of pain you are experiencing.

seymour #280531 06/04/18 10:12 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
If you want to get a jumpstart on your therapy, here is a great free on-line program to help people with anxiety about health problems. I think you would get a lot of out this. Its likely the exercises in this program will be similar to what your therapist will recommend, as its based on cognitive-behavioral therapy principles.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Melissa Velez 

Link Copied to Clipboard