07/10/18 05:40 PM
W
worldofme Offline OP
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

Duexis Vs Mobic Vs Celebrex

I have taken firs two with some minor side effects while celebrex have never taken.

Duexis 800mg reduces pain but does not help much with spine. This drug causes GI issue for sure.

Mobic - great drug love it, I feel my AS goes in remission with mobic. However a week into I will get the most severe headaches in my life along with blood rushing through head and body feeling.

Celebrex - never taken it.

I would like to hear some feedback which is better.

I have been to worlds largest research hospital for rheumatology issue and my blood work recently came back negative for over 20 different antibodies for autoimmune disease.

My case seems to be puzzling lot of experts and have no idea which direction to take my treatment. I do however know Abx and NSAID seem to help great deal.

Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280735
07/10/18 07:55 PM
07/10/18 07:55 PM
C
Casabby Offline
Registered Visitor
Casabby  Offline
Registered Visitor
C

I have taken about 6 or 7 different NSAIDS in the last 9 years. The only one that did not help me at all was Celebrex. The other ones I have stayed on until I got side effects or my rheumatologist didn't think they were helping enough. I think that periodically my body just wants a change in meds. I am back taking Naproxsyn after feeling that Meloxicam wasn't helping me. Naproxsyn was my first NSAID after diagnosis and I got some side effects after two years. But right now I am having very good results with it.

We are very individual in how we respond to medications so you just need to continue your science experiment on "you."

Diagnosed with Inflammatory Spondyloarthropathy 2009. Type 1 diabetes since 1976. Hypothyroidism since 1996. Generalized Annulare Granuloma since 2012.
Meds: Naproxsyn, Flexeril, Synthroid, Insulin with insulin pump
Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280736
07/10/18 08:28 PM
07/10/18 08:28 PM
W
Winston Online
Registered Visitor
Winston  Online
Registered Visitor
W

Celebrex is best if you have GI troubles. There was once a concern that Celebrex, like Vioxx, increased the risk of heart attack, but a recent study (last year or year before) showed that Celebrex is no worse for the heart than other NSAIDs. (I mention this just because you might run across some old articles on the internet warning of Celebrex's heart risks).

Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280737
07/10/18 08:31 PM
07/10/18 08:31 PM
A
achala Online
Registered Visitor
achala  Online
Registered Visitor
A

Perhaps I just got a little bit too lazy today or too sucked into reading about eosinophils Interleukins etc but can someone refer me to some recent papers related to cox1/2 inhibitors serious impact on other than prostaglandins?

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with iridociclitis Nov 2017 (4 flares so far) - bilteral, DES
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Signs of inflammations/erosions on MRI`s for axial and Achilles/calcaneus + bursitis
Naproxen (occasionally), Sulfasalazine 3000 mg per day
Supplements: vit A&D, reishi mushrooms, fish oil/probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD
plenty of swimming
Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280738
07/11/18 01:55 PM
07/11/18 01:55 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Online
Registered Visitor
S

MS
I don't think any NSAID is inherently better than another. It all depends on each individual's situation and how they react to each medication. Mobic is a good example of this. It handled your pain very well, and many other people have good success with Mobic. It did nothing for me.

I am currently taking Celebrex on an "as needed" basis and find it is doing well for me, as long as I don't take it on an empty stomach.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280739
07/11/18 04:09 PM
07/11/18 04:09 PM
W
worldofme Offline OP
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

I just feel straight up ibuprofen 800mg causes GI issue then GERD then Chest Pain thinking it's impacting the heart or something. I don't know, I even try spacing Mobic out to every other day and still I get the pounding headaches and blood rushing through my fingers and head etc.. I told my doc and he said hes never heard of that before. I don't know if it's the drug or what doing this.

I reacted very poorly to Arthrotec - this one caused severe chest pain.

Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280740
07/11/18 04:43 PM
07/11/18 04:43 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Online
Registered Visitor
S

MS
The chest pain could be coming from the GI issues. Did your cardiologist investigate the chest pain you had when taking ibuprofen?

I get headache and tinnitus (ringing ears) if I take too much of an NSAID. Were you on a high dose of Mobic? Were you taking another NSAID at the same time as Mobic?

Since you have issues with both Duexis and Mobic, Celebrex is certainly worth trying, assuming your doctors agree to it.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Which NSAID is better? [Re: worldofme] #280750
07/12/18 02:36 PM
07/12/18 02:36 PM
W
worldofme Offline OP
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

SouthernMoss - you mention some interesting facts about NSAID. I def agree with you regard to chest pain radiating from the GI. Since there on and off and along with my portable EKG showing complete rhythm I doubt any concern of NSAID.

Mobic is a great drug and I continue to take it spaced out despite knowing this drug is cause of various symptoms. As to response to your question about mobic, 1. No I was not on high dosage of mobic 2. No other NSAID at the same time and 3. I was taking very low dosage of mobic 7.5mg daily. At this dosage this drug was making a huge difference in my symptoms.

Duexis is very short acting drug for me, does not control pain all day like mobic did. Celebrex is what i was thinking about next. Are there any ill side effect to celebrex?

Rheum said no more TNF or any immune drugs until the muscular issue is sort out. At the moment I am in process of seeing world number one myositis center. Recent visit was very pleasant with them running various reports to rule out lot of disease. Let's see how the upcoming appt turns out.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto