D
DadCue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
DadCue  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
D

Iowa City, IA USA
Originally Posted by Winston
I spend a lot of time these days thinking about where to retire. I find that weather extremes -- either too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry -- are less tolerable with AS and contribute to flares.

You can rule out the Midwest. Somewhere between the Gulf coast and the Midwest would be a possibility. I am retired and still think about where to retire. I will probably stay here because I am happy here. When I want to escape the heat or cold I will go visit places instead of moving there.

Dx. reactive arthritis with recurrent uveitis, HLA-B27+ (1993), polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) added in 2008, trigeminal neuralgia added in 2009

Hx. cataracts (2009), tendon rupture-wrist (2010), HTN with LVH (2011), pulmonary embolism-multiple, extensive and bilateral (2012), total bilateral knee replacements (2015), craniotomy for microvascular decompression of trigeminal nerve (2016), surgery pending for L4-L5 disc bulge, stenosis and severe "degenerative" spinal arthritis (2016)
Re: What exactly is a "flare"? [Re: DadCue] #281662
10/06/18 02:54 PM
10/06/18 02:54 PM
J
JJJ Offline
Registered Visitor
JJJ  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

Ooo yes - spent 3 hours in a hot tub last week & felt so good!

Anyway - food as trigger - I’d dismissed it as all my Christmas-related gorging on sugar & fat is well over by mid-February, but hadn’t thought of all the starchy root vegetables that we eat when it’s cold... So I’ll be monitoring that this winter.

However the tree pollen idea does have me intrigued. I found this tree pollen calendar - UK specific, sorry, but maybe useful for other readers & maybe we can find a US one: https://www.worcester.ac.uk/discover/pollen-calendar.html. I’ve briefly looked up any contraindications to taking Zirtec (Cetirizine Hydrochloride) “Long term” and can’t see anything- I presume you’ve found that it’s okay, Winston? I guess I’d be looking at taking them for 6 weeks.

And I do agree - travel! Bermuda sounds very un-English from here but i know what you mean, I spent my childhood looking up old family in Ireland & agree it’s very special, if rather damp.
Jane (JJJ).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto