09/30/18 02:20 AM
09/30/18 02:20 AM
L
lazlo Offline OP
Registered Visitor
lazlo  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
L

41yo, 25 years of chronic lower back pain with no diagnosis, just found out about AS two weeks ago. I see a ton of people talking about Prednizone and wanted to ask some follow up questions. I have an (I believe) unrelated severe larynx and vocal chord inflammation and the ENT doctor prescribed me Prednizone. I've been taking it for 3 weeks. It has helped a lot with my throat but has had absolutely no impact on my lower back pain. I'm just trying to get a sense of whether that should be a red flag?

Meaning I see a lot of people saying how helpful Prednizone is and if I took it for three weeks and had no help from it what do people think that means? Does that suggest AS is not my diagnosis? Or is the benefit to other symptoms that I'm not experiencing? Or when other get benefit from Prednizone is it something else I'm missing? Thank you very much for any input anyone can give!! I really really appreciate it!

Re: Should Prednizone be helping? [Re: lazlo] #281556
09/30/18 02:58 AM
09/30/18 02:58 AM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

MS
For some people it takes a fairly high dose of prednisone before they feel it's helping. My rheumy once prescribed a 5 day course of prednisone at 25mg per day when I complained of sore SI joints. It did nothing. I've taken a few Medrol dose paks over the years for various issues and they helped the issue for which they were prescribed but did nothing for my joints.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Should Prednizone be helping? [Re: lazlo] #281557
09/30/18 10:48 AM
09/30/18 10:48 AM
Iowa City, IA USA
D
DadCue Offline
Registered Visitor
DadCue  Offline
Registered Visitor
D

Iowa City, IA USA
First I would like to say that prednisone is known to cause serious side effects. I do not want to encourage people to use it. Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory medication and is useful to treat inflammation when less dangerous anti-inflammatory medications are not effective or not tolerated.

I think it is important to understand that inflammation and pain are not the same thing. I recently had a visit to my rheumatologist and I was having significant lower back pain but I predicted that my inflammation markers would be normal even though they are almost always elevated. I was proud of that prediction because it suggested that I could distinguish back pain caused by inflammation and back pain which is not. It hurt the same but didn't "feel the same" as when I had back pain which was caused by inflammation. I hope that makes sense because it is hard to explain.

Originally Posted by lazlo
Meaning I see a lot of people saying how helpful Prednizone is and if I took it for three weeks and had no help from it what do people think that means? Does that suggest AS is not my diagnosis? Or is the benefit to other symptoms that I'm not experiencing?

I don't think it suggests anything about your diagnosis of AS.

Dx. reactive arthritis with recurrent uveitis, HLA-B27+ (1993), polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) added in 2008, trigeminal neuralgia added in 2009

Hx. cataracts (2009), tendon rupture-wrist (2010), HTN with LVH (2011), pulmonary embolism-multiple, extensive and bilateral (2012), total bilateral knee replacements (2015), craniotomy for microvascular decompression of trigeminal nerve (2016), surgery pending for L4-L5 disc bulge, stenosis and severe "degenerative" spinal arthritis (2016)
Re: Should Prednizone be helping? [Re: lazlo] #281558
09/30/18 12:16 PM
09/30/18 12:16 PM
New York
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
You did not mention what does of prednesone you are taking? Also if it is a tapering dose i.e. 40gm to 30mg to 20mg to 20mg ----just a demo of what tapering means. Or low dose 5mg for a couple weeks.

Pred helps my inflammation, BUT real damage that has already occured it does not help. So if in your spine bits are pinching you nerve, it is not going to help one bit. But if you have swelling around a joint (inflammation) it will help that pain by reducing the swelling.

Pred is a very serious med and very common side effects but can be very useful short term.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Should Prednizone be helping? [Re: lazlo] #281701
10/09/18 08:10 PM
10/09/18 08:10 PM
S
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor
sdot  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

I just did some pred, and while it was decent at the initial higher dosages, it really went downhill when it came to tapering it down. For me, side effects were just me eating things and feeling mentally ok.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto