11/16/18 07:17 PM
11/16/18 07:17 PM
N
nanders1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
nanders1  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
N

Hello, I am interested to know if other people diagnosed with Undifferentiated AS have had inflammation of their intestines. I have had issues with my intestines since I was a teen and was not diagnosed with Undiff until I was in my 40s. Extensive family history and other issues so I knew it was a possibility. I did have a gallbladder removed for chronic nausea in my 30s, but it didn't resolve the problem and the gallbladder did not have stones just sludge and inflammation. 5 years ago I had an unexplained bowel blockage (the only surgery had been the laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder) so did all kinds of tests then and everything was negative but it took me a year to recover because of ongoing nausea and pain - fast forward I had another bowel blockage this summer. I am not recovering very well this time - tested for celiac, IBD ulcerative colitis (through blood tests), inflammatory markers, (All negative of course) and it feels as if a brillo pad has been run thorough my intestines. Is subclinical inflammation common? I have lived with this for a lot of years but it would be nice to know if this is just another aspect of the disease. (I know the blockages are not part of the disease, but I think my slow recoveries may be linked as any time my gut gets unhappy I seem suffer)
Thank you

Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282070
11/16/18 07:28 PM
11/16/18 07:28 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

Yes, subclinical gut inflammation is very common in people with AS. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26599385 . It's not fully understood whether the gut inflammation causes the AS or if the AS causes the gut inflammation.

Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282071
11/16/18 07:51 PM
11/16/18 07:51 PM
N
nanders1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
nanders1  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
N

Thank you read the link - looks like I have a lot more reading to do - now to figure out a way to get the inflammation down

Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282072
11/16/18 09:56 PM
11/16/18 09:56 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Online
Registered Visitor
S

MS
Have you had biopsies taken through colonoscopy and/or endoscopy?

What meds are you currently taking for your Undiff?

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Gut Issues [Re: SouthernMoss] #282074
11/17/18 01:19 AM
11/17/18 01:19 AM
N
nanders1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
nanders1  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
N

I have not had biopsies taken - but had a colonoscopy just prior to the first blockage - no sign of disease - previously there were signs of inflammation years ago - I take NSAIDs when I need to but have an intense exercise regime to handle most of my pain and to keep myself moving (I just deal with the pain, but I believe I suffer less than most people with AS) Both my father and sister have AS and most of my cousins have AS - it is rampant in the family and so is MS. It seems that I have weak areas and my gut is one of them - I do occasionally take cyclobenzaprine for my TMJ. Right now I am taking a pre-natal vitamin has my iron went low after hospitalization. I also don't absorb B12 with diddly

Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282077
11/17/18 03:49 PM
11/17/18 03:49 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

Assuming you don't have pernicious anemia (there are tests to rule that out), the fact that you don't absorb B12 well is a sign of inflammation in the terminal ileum (the tail end of the small intestine), which is the only place in the body B12 is absorbed. I also don't absorb it well and have to have injections. The oral supplements are worthless if you have an absorption issue. Like you, all my GI tests (colonoscopy, endoscopy) are normal. I have had the biopsies -- all normal.

Edited to add: As you probably know, they can't see the small intestine via endoscopy or colonoscopy. You'd have to have a capsule biopsy (i.e., swallow a tiny camera) to detect inflammation there. I chose not to have that test.

Last edited by Winston; 11/17/18 04:53 PM. Reason: left something out
Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282078
11/17/18 04:54 PM
11/17/18 04:54 PM
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M

My bowel situation has been similar to yours, although no bowel obstructions. I'm using humira for the A.S. Regarding bowels I've had lot's of symptoms but no positive test results for inflammation, biopsies and various 'scopes. Had my gall bladder removed for sludge and no stones, too. Family history of IBD, psoriasis and arthritis. My GI doctor finally talked me into trying Nortriptyline to control what is diagnosed as IBS. It has actually helped quite a bit, although I have to keep to a fairly low-starch strict diet, no processed foods and eating out is a crap shoot. And I have to say your brillo pad analogy is spot on. That's exactly how mine feels when it's acting up.

Re: Gut Issues [Re: nanders1] #282119
11/23/18 02:11 AM
11/23/18 02:11 AM
N
nanders1 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
nanders1  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
N

Thank you for the information - my theory is my gut is my weak spot. No food for weeks and the gut biome got whacked and they caused some damage with the nasogastric tube which caused some bleeding. Therefore recovery has taken what seems like forever (July). More good days now than bad - they offered after the last blockage to do the pill camera (they had also ruled out cancer through a fancy cat scan on the last blockage) but they didn't want it getting stuck because of whatever adhesion is messing with me. It helps to know that my symptoms are similar to other people. I haven't been able to eat any cruciferous veggies and I stay away from processed food. Thank you for the help.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto