11/23/18 08:10 PM
11/23/18 08:10 PM
Toronto
Sean O Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Sean O  Offline OP
Registered Visitor

Toronto
I was in an emergency ward in Toronto Wednesday with a family member. There was a man there who was there because he worked construction and a fork-lift went over his foot. They gave him Tylenol and said that they might add Advil if that wasn't enough. He was a construction worker, in construction gear, and had taken his foot out of the work boot because of the way it was swelling. It was clearly swelling and turning blue with bruising. They were waiting for x-rays when I talked to him. They had hinted that he might get something stronger later.

If you have a forklift go over your foot with clearly visible injuries they should not be trying Tylenol on you and get you something stronger unless you have an allergy. The man was clearly in pain, but not really complaining and just keeping very quiet.

This has just gone to far.

Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282126
11/24/18 01:42 AM
11/24/18 01:42 AM
M
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Mary Beth  Offline
Registered Visitor
M

I sympathize with your story but there may be factors you are unaware of. The gentleman may have a history of addiction, for instance, that would contraindicate opioids. They may have needed him lucid til they asked more questions because it was a work injury. They may have needed to send him for bloodwork yet to make sure he wasn’t under the influence of anything since it was a work injury. And so on.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282140
11/26/18 10:12 PM
11/26/18 10:12 PM
PA
J
Jg19446 Offline
Registered Visitor
Jg19446  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

PA
I agree it's gone too far. I've seen people that definitely should not be denied pain meds denied. It takes forever to get something when I have kidney stones now when they used to give morphine. They've knocked down doses for people with things like cancer. It's a mess. So much so that the CDC recently put out a statement that their guideline is just that, a guideline, and doesn't mean doctors have to reduce people to those doses. Doctors still have the final say. Doctors were afraid before that if they didn't follow the guidelines their license could come into question.

JG xx
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282295
12/28/18 04:33 PM
12/28/18 04:33 PM
A
ANTISTARCH Offline
Registered Visitor
ANTISTARCH  Offline
Registered Visitor
A

The Insurance companies along with the lobbyist are pushing for everyone to now use Marijuana even if its not sold in your state. The insurance companies love it as they dont cover Marijuana and have no plans too. The people that really need the drugs cant have access and the ones who are addicts will continue to get it on the streets. More and more drugs pour over our southern border with ingredients nobody has a clue. This has turned this into another political stunt. I have a doctor who will do whats necessary for me to get access to the drugs that I need to survive. This is just another reason why I dont want the government providing healthcare. Its a complete sham....

Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282296
12/28/18 04:47 PM
12/28/18 04:47 PM
Whidbey Island WA
W
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor
WhiteCell  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

Whidbey Island WA
Treating pain effectively is clearly being compromised by the current knee jerk response by the media and insurance companies. Responsible use and storage of opioids and other medications is the responsibility of all of us. If a person has these medications, lock them up when not in use.

Clearly the construction worker needed better treatment. Notwithstanding the history he may have had, in his condition he deserved better assessment and planning. I hope they did an X-ray for gosh sake. Even if the patient had a history of addiction, there were other medications (Toreadol) which could have been used. There is no medical reason for NOT treating pain effectively.

Knowing this, it can be useful to request a small amount of medication 3-4 days to alleviate pain without refills as well as being polite, not argumentative and alert. Doctors ears go way up when they suspect a person is "seeking" drugs amplified by demanding or uber knowledgable patients. The docs are controlled not only by their oath but now moreso by hospital policy and the desire to reduce the number of deaths by illegal getting of opioids.

Clearly something was missing in this patients assessment.

Starting at 18 yrs old > Reiter's Syndrome. Diagnosed 2001 Ank Spon.
Started Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.

Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
Right eye Ahmed Shunt 2016.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2008.

ICU RN - Seattle, WA

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282304
12/31/18 08:33 PM
12/31/18 08:33 PM
A
ANTISTARCH Offline
Registered Visitor
ANTISTARCH  Offline
Registered Visitor
A

Some people are predisposed to addiction. You have some that take a drink and 2 years later are living on the streets and others like myself that have been taking soma and Vicodin for over 20 years. I take 1/1 every night before I go to bed. If I need 2/2 I can when I am in bad shape but those days are rare. I take Cimzia, I workout 5 days a week, run a company and am very active. Starting next year it is illegal for Doctors to prescribe Vicodin and Soma together. This is frigging ridiculous ! Thank god I have a way around it but under a structured health system I would never get these work around. They would tell me to smoke a joint.

Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282347
01/07/19 11:50 PM
01/07/19 11:50 PM
California
C
Calif Guy Offline
Registered Visitor
Calif Guy  Offline
Registered Visitor
C

California
I don't understand why the Government thinks they should tell Doctors how to treat there patients. I saw my Dr this morning and he had me sign a paper saying that
I understood the danger of taking pain pills, even thought he has been giving them to me for over 15 years. It makes no seance that it was okay years ago but now the Government says it's bad , and I told him I didn't think it was fair that I'm the one who will suffer for him being scared. My back is locked in a forward bend , so I lost almost 8 inches of height. My shoulders hurt and most of my body. I'm one of those guys that A/S hit real bad. First they thought I had Ryters syndrome then they said I had A/S. I took a five year study at Cedars Sinai Hosp with a Dr M Weisment. .

WHEN TWO SMILES MEET,EVERYONES HAPPY.
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282353
01/09/19 06:19 AM
01/09/19 06:19 AM
S
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor
sdot  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

I wish someone would prescribe me some pain pills. The irony must be that you get addicted to reduced pain, so you know.. Must be bad.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto