11/23/18 08:10 PM
11/23/18 08:10 PM
Toronto
Sean O Online OP
Registered Visitor
Sean O  Online OP
Registered Visitor

Toronto
I was in an emergency ward in Toronto Wednesday with a family member. There was a man there who was there because he worked construction and a fork-lift went over his foot. They gave him Tylenol and said that they might add Advil if that wasn't enough. He was a construction worker, in construction gear, and had taken his foot out of the work boot because of the way it was swelling. It was clearly swelling and turning blue with bruising. They were waiting for x-rays when I talked to him. They had hinted that he might get something stronger later.

If you have a forklift go over your foot with clearly visible injuries they should not be trying Tylenol on you and get you something stronger unless you have an allergy. The man was clearly in pain, but not really complaining and just keeping very quiet.

This has just gone to far.

Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282126
11/24/18 01:42 AM
11/24/18 01:42 AM
M
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Mary Beth  Offline
Registered Visitor
M

I sympathize with your story but there may be factors you are unaware of. The gentleman may have a history of addiction, for instance, that would contraindicate opioids. They may have needed him lucid til they asked more questions because it was a work injury. They may have needed to send him for bloodwork yet to make sure he wasn’t under the influence of anything since it was a work injury. And so on.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: Opioid Crackdown going to far [Re: Sean O] #282140
11/26/18 10:12 PM
11/26/18 10:12 PM
PA
J
Jg19446 Offline
Registered Visitor
Jg19446  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

PA
I agree it's gone too far. I've seen people that definitely should not be denied pain meds denied. It takes forever to get something when I have kidney stones now when they used to give morphine. They've knocked down doses for people with things like cancer. It's a mess. So much so that the CDC recently put out a statement that their guideline is just that, a guideline, and doesn't mean doctors have to reduce people to those doses. Doctors still have the final say. Doctors were afraid before that if they didn't follow the guidelines their license could come into question.

JG xx

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto