Print Thread
"Mediterranean" diet #282306 01/01/19 07:29 PM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Hi. I am not a diets person, but my doctor recommended I lose weight :-/ and I do want to feel better so I've adopted the Mediterranean diet which is supposedly really great for inflammation. I chose it partly because it is easy for me to follow. I haven't changed a whole lot. Mostly just eliminated most sugar and junk, eating less meat, and I'm consciously eating more servings of vegetables. So far I've been on it just a few days and I'm feeling noticably way better. My stiffness is way down and pain is down.
I'm also taking nsaids and doing physical therapy so it's hard to know what's what because they're all relatively new.
Anyone else have experience trying this diet? Curious about your experiences.

Re: "Mediterranean" diet [Re: Jacruz] #282372 01/11/19 08:57 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
glad to hear that you are finding success!

haven't specifically done this diet. but I understand it is a healthy, well rounded diet. for me, I also feel better (AS wise) when I weigh at my lower end of my range. I think there is evidence that some foods generally increase inflammation while others reduce inflammation. My wife strongly believes highly processed foods such as sugar and grains increase inflammation. my gut says she's probably right.

the other advantage to your new diet is that it seems good for the digestive system. you may never have gi issues, but this would seem helpful to head off issues.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan