W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Windguy  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

Oregon
Howdy,

Do any of you good folks have experiences on resumption of Humira after a course of antibiotics? Is there, or should there be a waiting period, or do we get to hop right back on board the immuno-compromise train? And ya - I want back on. Just when I thought "nyaaa, this stuff may not be doing much", I got an infection, had to get off the H, and within a week I was back to sleeping in chairs and reaching for pain killers and muscle relaxants to get three hours of sleep. I just hope cycling on and off doesn't impede efficacy - which I've been told can happen. Ten days ago I was digging post holes, and moving a lot of dirt, and then framing a deck. Now, walking 500 yards to the mailbox ... well, my wife gets the mail.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated.

DX AS 2016. DX DISH Syndrome 2000. Humira, SOMA as needed, oils (black spruce, wintergreen, cypress, peppermint, lavender). Severely intolerant to NSAIDs.
Re: How long after antibiotics to resume Humira? [Re: Windguy] #283145
05/25/19 02:31 PM
05/25/19 02:31 PM
Joshua Tree, CA
jtmak Offline
Registered Visitor
jtmak  Offline
Registered Visitor

Joshua Tree, CA
After your round of antibiotics make sure to include some good probiotics to rebuild your microbiome. The post above speeks to the value and importance - which key to this concept is that the health of our microbiome impacts all people, not just those with AS.

California, USA
Reoccurring Bilateral Uveitis Dx 1985
Reiters Syndrome Dx 1985
AS Dx 2015
SI joint fused
Re: How long after antibiotics to resume Humira? [Re: Windguy] #283146
05/25/19 11:39 PM
05/25/19 11:39 PM
M
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Mary Beth  Offline
Registered Visitor
M

I think you need to ask your doctor how soon after the antibiotics end you can resume your TNF blockers. It depends, in part, on the severity of the infection and how ill you were.

After I had the flu I did NOT start taking my Humira again until the fatigue lifted, which was a good week or ten days after my other symptoms resolved.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: How long after antibiotics to resume Humira? [Re: Windguy] #283151
05/27/19 05:18 AM
05/27/19 05:18 AM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

MS
Each rheumatologist has their own policy for when and how long to stop your biologic, so you need to discuss with him/her. My rheumatologist says to stay off my Humira until the fever is gone and I have finished the course of antibiotics.

But you have to use common sense too. If you finish the antibiotics but can tell that the infection is still hanging on or things just aren't back to normal yet, then check with your doctor before starting back.

Dr Jack Cush, renown rheumatologist and researcher, takes a more aggressive approach. He says he only hold biologics for serious infections, i.e. those with a high fever or when hospitalization is required.
http://rheumnow.com/blog/rules-drug-cessation-infection

I'm not saying you should follow Dr Cush's approach, at least not without getting approval from your rheumatologist. Everyone's case is different and your rheumatologist is the only one who knows your specific situation and medical history.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: How long after antibiotics to resume Humira? [Re: Windguy] #283154
05/27/19 05:20 PM
05/27/19 05:20 PM
Oregon
W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Windguy  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

Oregon
Thanks all.

DX AS 2016. DX DISH Syndrome 2000. Humira, SOMA as needed, oils (black spruce, wintergreen, cypress, peppermint, lavender). Severely intolerant to NSAIDs.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto