07/09/19 09:41 PM
07/09/19 09:41 PM
A
Alex140 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Alex140  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
A

Currently, I'm suffering from some pretty severe chronic pain that makes most tasks impossible to perform for an extended period of time. My rheumatologist says this is because my spondylitis has caused me to also suffer from enthesitis. I had to quit my last job, which required me to sit and type stuff on a computer for hours on end, and now I'm struggling to find anything that's even remotely feasible for me. It would have to be something with an absolutely minimal amount of movement, strenuous or not. I don't know if a cashier job would work out, since I even have trouble using a tablet for too long no matter how light my touch is, and I felt a sting in my left elbow while typing this relatively short post. I also can't walk for too long, since my legs have been affected too. The only thing I can think of that sounds possible is some kind of part time greeter job, or something else to that effect. If I can't find anything at all, I'll probably have to move out of my current residence, and I definitely don't want that. SSI would be nice but my doctor doesn't think I'm likely to get it since I'm suffering from what is essentially an invisible disability.

So, any ideas?

Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283362
07/09/19 10:02 PM
07/09/19 10:02 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

I don't think you should take your doctor's advice about SSI. Scroll down to section 14.09 here to see how the Social Security Administration evaluates inflammatory arthritis, including AS: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#14_09

Not being able to find any job that you can do is pretty much the definition of disability. I recommend consulting with a Social Security Disability Advocate.

Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283363
07/09/19 10:16 PM
07/09/19 10:16 PM
Los Angeles, CA
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
RAHMBA  Offline
Registered Visitor

Los Angeles, CA
Regarding SSDI, Richard Feingold has written articles in Spondylitis Plus. his website is www.USAdisabilityLaw.com

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283364
07/09/19 10:28 PM
07/09/19 10:28 PM
Los Angeles, CA
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
RAHMBA  Offline
Registered Visitor

Los Angeles, CA
Regarding type of job, enthesitis is a hallmark of AS. if you are anything like me, I do best with my enthesitis by continually switching activity.

Things that seem to help me:
* short commute.

* ability to switch from standing to sitting (I do a lot of computer work, and have a desk that I can stand or sit at).

* ability to walk around

* ability to flex my schedule (work some long days, take a morning off and go to the gym some days also some days work late at night, work from home, etc.)

Some jobs naturally have a lot of independence and physical variability - such as real estate work such as RE agents, some healthcare positions.

Hope that helps.

Kindest,
Rich

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: RAHMBA] #283365
07/10/19 04:42 PM
07/10/19 04:42 PM
A
Alex140 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Alex140  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
A

Originally Posted by Winston
I don't think you should take your doctor's advice about SSI. Scroll down to section 14.09 here to see how the Social Security Administration evaluates inflammatory arthritis, including AS: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#14_09

Not being able to find any job that you can do is pretty much the definition of disability. I recommend consulting with a Social Security Disability Advocate.

Hm, now that is definitely worth looking into. My main worry is that the only proof I have is the word of my doctor and the single x-ray showing something slightly wrong with my lower vertebrae. No scans show any signs of inflammation in any of my limbs, which is has been frustrating to say the least.

Originally Posted by RAHMBA
Regarding type of job, enthesitis is a hallmark of AS. if you are anything like me, I do best with my enthesitis by continually switching activity.

Things that seem to help me:
* short commute.

* ability to switch from standing to sitting (I do a lot of computer work, and have a desk that I can stand or sit at).

* ability to walk around

* ability to flex my schedule (work some long days, take a morning off and go to the gym some days also some days work late at night, work from home, etc.)

Some jobs naturally have a lot of independence and physical variability - such as real estate work such as RE agents, some healthcare positions.

Hope that helps.

Kindest,
Rich

While I definitely can't do a job that requires a lot of computer work, I miiiight be able to do something that has me mix up my activities. If I don't do anything extra strenuous, I'm more or less fine doing stuff at home most days. I just wish it was easier to tell what's okay and what isn't. If I can't find a door job, I'm hoping there's maybe a job where I stock items that aren't super heavy.

Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283366
07/11/19 10:13 PM
07/11/19 10:13 PM
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
C
Cake Offline
Registered Visitor
Cake  Offline
Registered Visitor
C

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Before you consider applying for SSDI, please consider that one of the most vital aspects of a successful application is support from your doctor. The extent of your disability must be conveyed in his/her chart notes.

One suggestion I would make, since its possible you may go on disability at some point in the future, is to start getting copies of your chart notes and read them. And if you don't agree with what the doctor wrote, bring it up with him at the next appointment. One of the big problems people encounter when they finally do apply for SSDI/disability is that they never read their medical records, and they aren't prepared to realize that there are errors, omissions, or their problems are minimized or not mentioned at all.

Here is a blog that discusses many aspects of apply for SSDI- this post is about chart notes: https://howtogeton.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/how-to-have-great-visits-that-create-great-records/

As for types of jobs that you could do.... that is a tough question. I will just share that in my own case, I was in a job that mostly required sitting in an office. I ended up requesting disability accommodations which included working from home for a portion of my hours as needed. This was what allowed me to stay working as long as I did. I was extremely fortunate to have had an employer that granted me these.

One resource to learn about job accommodations for people with disabilities is the JAN network. https://askjan.org/ There are a lot of articles there about working with a disability. They also have a free 1-800 number you can call to speak confidentially to someone about your situation. It looks like they also have an on-line chat option now as well. I used them several times when I was negotiating accommodations from my employer.

best wishes!

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto