Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#29191 - 02/12/06 02:35 AM mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
soreback*all*the*time Offline

Loc: fl
if you take one you have taken them all....what is the difference between all these NSAIDS?
to my mind nothing. if one hurts your stomach they all hurt your stomach....the only one that doesnt hurt my stomach is tylenol or vicoden but then again it doesnt do much for the pain either
9-02 car crash. neck fused anterior dickectomy,corpectomy, 5 screws and two metal plates at c 5-6-7. posterior neck fusion c-5-6-7 6 screws and laminectomy foraminotomy, posterior plates too long for neck. HNP T-7-8, 9-10,10-11, L5 S1 L2-3 FMS, PA, possible AS. left torn rotator cuff op from bones spurs grew into cuff and tore it lots of other things also... nails, fingers, scalp with P. spine in bad shape ...brother w/ PA-AS..mother with PA at least. 2.5 yrs to get in front of a hearing finally approved jan 3 this year for ssdi. depressed, incest survivor, dont like or trust most drs.

#29192 - 02/12/06 03:39 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
earfilm Offline

Loc: Washington state
Aleve hurts my kidneys more than advil. I also don't like how long it lasts, sort of for a long time, i get confused of how much aleve to take and when. Advil is quicker and shorter and i understand more immediatly when to take it and how much to take.. i just understand it better, within the context of my daily pain schedule.

Erik

#29193 - 02/13/06 11:30 AM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
earfilm Offline

Loc: Washington state
I like the Advil that doesn't have sugar on it or whatever. i think it's the caplets i like best. Motrin 800 size prescribed from a doctor are good, but sometimes i'd rather only do 400 or 600 size. So Motrin may actually be a better brand name, but i usually try to get Advil caplets.

What's Mobic?

Erik

#29194 - 02/13/06 12:36 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
soreback*all*the*time Offline

Loc: fl
it is a brand of NSAIDS the rhuemy doc gave me which was to my mind COMPLETELY worthless
9-02 car crash. neck fused anterior dickectomy,corpectomy, 5 screws and two metal plates at c 5-6-7. posterior neck fusion c-5-6-7 6 screws and laminectomy foraminotomy, posterior plates too long for neck. HNP T-7-8, 9-10,10-11, L5 S1 L2-3 FMS, PA, possible AS. left torn rotator cuff op from bones spurs grew into cuff and tore it lots of other things also... nails, fingers, scalp with P. spine in bad shape ...brother w/ PA-AS..mother with PA at least. 2.5 yrs to get in front of a hearing finally approved jan 3 this year for ssdi. depressed, incest survivor, dont like or trust most drs.

#29195 - 02/13/06 01:01 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
Marimo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Finland
I think Mobic is a more selective NSAID and should have less effect on stomage? I got Mobic but if I need quick relief I have to take ibuprofen(Advil). Indeed one should not take different NSAID at same time, then the irritation on stomage is much worse.

#29196 - 02/13/06 01:08 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
amazongb Offline

Mobic is supposed to be easier on the stomach.

I've been taking it for about 6 mos. At first, I took it only when I hurt and it was not effective. My doctor asked me to take it daily without interuption, and after about 45 days I started noticing some results.

From what he said, Alieve and others are designed to take when you are in pain, and a quick fix.

John

#29197 - 02/13/06 01:30 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
Tacitus Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Palm Springs area, California
Hi, soreback*all*the*time:

I don't understand WHY anyone with AS or who wanted to keep their bone mass would want to try NSAIDs, long-term, but Orudis is one of the better ones--short term.

There is a spectrum of NSAIDs and the most dangerous ones are, unfortunately, sometimes the most effective.

I don't know whether this is totally accurate; I have no gauge but my own experiences plus some conjecture, but I estimate and rate NSAIDs based upon what I think their Descending order of danger might be:

Clinoril (sulindac)
Voltaren (diclofenac)
Lodine (etodolac)
Feldene (pyroxicam)
Butazolidin
Relafen (nambumetone)
Daypro
Mobic
Orudis (Ketoprofen)
Ansaid
Aleve (naprosyn)
Indocin
Celebrex (selective COx inhibitor)
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid)
Advil (ibuprofen)
5ASA (pent aminosalicylic acid)

Sorry, this is sort of just from memory as I cannot find my original document file.
I have to agree with Dr. Mercola's opinion of NSAIDs , in general, and he does suggest not to mix acetaminophen (Tylenol) with any of them.

Good luck to You,
John
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

#29198 - 02/13/06 03:38 PM Re: mobic/advil/aleve, etc what's the difference
mysticmoon Offline

Loc: San Diego
I was on Mobic...sulindac didn't help me at all...I did like Advil but my rheum didn't. Mobic is a nonselective cox-inhibitor. 15mg of Mobic quieted my pain all day. Took it with food. Lasts a good 15-20 hrs. But when I had the photosensitive reaction to sulfasalazine, and reaction continued, I discontinued everything. Now I take Advil when I get tired of pain or have obvious inflamation. I am more tired of drugs than I am of pain at this point.

"We read the world wrong and say it deceives us." - Tagore

[Disclaimer: Never take medical "advice" too seriously when you find it on the internet even if it came from me. I'm not a doc and even if I was, how would you know? Always check with your doctors.]

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved