Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#32272 - 03/20/06 12:13 PM Donating blood and Plaquenil
hapy4dolphins Offline

Can I still donate blood while taking Plaquenil? I still haaven't began to take the med yet, what a fraidy cat I am. But I am thinking about it more often.
Nicole

#32273 - 03/20/06 12:17 PM Re: Donating blood and Plaquenil
IrishElf Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Upper Midwest
You can only donate blood for yourself, [as in pre-surgery].

Many of the meds we take preclude us from donating blood to the general public.

As you slide down the bannister of life...May the splinters never point the wrong way.

#32274 - 03/20/06 08:50 PM Re: Donating blood and Plaquenil
north Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N Z
Do not donate blood. If you are ill with something it is dangerous to yourself because of its debilitating effects and a danger to someone else, not just because of drugs but because the cause/s of AS are not entirely understood and there could be an infective agent.
What ARE you thinking of?
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place

#32275 - 03/21/06 01:36 PM Re: Donating blood and Plaquenil
hapy4dolphins Offline

Gulp! I was thinking of donating again, for my second time. My brother received over 6 bags of blood back in 2002 and my father in law had received over 10 to 12 bags back in 2005. I was thinking it was important for me to give back.
I did call the Red Cross here and the lady said it was ok.
Nicole

#32276 - 03/21/06 06:11 PM Re: Donating blood and Plaquenil
AnnLS Offline

Loc: Shorewood, Wisconsin
Nicole,

Yes, you can donate blood while taking Plaquenil. (Always check with the center where you donate about restrictions on anything you're taking!).

I agree with North that you have to decide whether you are up to donating on a particular occasion. I skipped several times because I just felt under the weather, and figured that I didn't need another reason to be a little more tired.

But I do disagree with North about the AS-related diseases being possibly transmissible via blood. My blood center (Blood Center of Wisconsin, based in Milwaukee) is on the forefront of research for such things, and I am certain that if there were any even theoretic concern that they would turn down my donation.

I took Plaquenil for 2 years. The only side effect I had was significant sun sensitivity - and it seemed to help reduce my flares. I'm off it now because my current rheumy has tentatively un-diagnosed my USpa confused

Best of luck to you.
Ann

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved