Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38276 - 05/26/06 09:21 PM Very scary neck crack...
Rob H Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Westwood Hills, KS
I've been experiencing a very unsettling 'cracking' sound in my neck, almost always while I'm laying down to go to sleep. I'm mostly fused in my neck, only C-1 remains, and that is in the process of going now, I believe. The sound is so loud that it scares the hell out of me and makes me sit bolt upright in bed, usually with a huge list of expletives on the tip of my tongue. I'm pretty sure it's just my neck 'popping', but it sounds so funky... the best way I can describe it is it sounds like a handful of potato chips being smashed suddenly, like a huge "CRUNCH". I asked my rheumy about it, and she confirmed that it's most likely my neck 'popping' since it doesn't cause me any pain (at least not more than normal) but it sure freaks me out. Altogether it's happened about ten times or so over the last month. Anybody else out there ever hear of such a thing?

Rob

Always remember, E=mc2 is a Localized phenomenon. Oh, and never forget where your towel is.

#38277 - 05/26/06 11:47 PM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Thakman Offline
Registered Visitor

I think thats just part of the fusing process. As the disks turn to bone basically, they will pop and squish and just make you want to shiver. Thats when you need to start concentrating hard on how you want to fuse and conciously hold your head or back in that postion as much as possible. I think my c-1 is the last left too and it is healing from a fracture. The rest have screws and rods and what look like cool barrel beads, he he. It is painful.

#38278 - 05/27/06 05:27 AM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Charlie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
Hi Rob

You're not alone. My neck makes alarming noises at times to. If I try to lean my right ear towards my right shoulder, I get a guaranteed "pop". Sometimes though, it makes a mighty loud one, and there is pain afterwards.

I don't think its anything to worry about - "crepitus" - the noise that arthritic bones make is very common. I can now make my shoulder pop so loudly that other people in the room can hear it. Sure has novelty value! laugh

37, Female, Psoriatic Spondylitis
www.charliefoulkes.com

#38279 - 05/27/06 08:32 AM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

Just remember you neck is so near your ear that it sounds much louder to you than it probably actually is.

My neck makes a very loud cracking sound too, that sounds like a stick snapping or something. It causes no pain; I think it's calcified joints holding for a sec then releasing when they do move; when it pops it moves a bit further, and if it is "stuck" longer than normal the resulting pop is even louder. Mine's been doing it for probably close to a year now with no ill effects, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good advice was given about making sure you fuse as upright as possible.
43, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

#38280 - 05/27/06 09:04 AM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Lemeow Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Farmington, N.M.
My x-rays show no fusion. I pop in every joint except my back. wrists ankles knees shoulder neck u name it,it pops. I was told its my muscles snapping over the bones???? Im sure this isnt what you have going, but wanted to let you know I would say I snap crackle or pop at least 50 times in a day and from feet to head basicly.

#38281 - 05/27/06 09:40 AM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Beth L Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toccoa, Georgia
Like Leme I'm sort of a human rice krispie. My favorite popping place is my jaw. I can pop it rapidly and I sound like a helicopter...or someone squeezing an aluminum drink can so it pops. I say it sounds like a helicopter, my family says it sounds like a can...it drives them nuts when I do it. Sometimes I'll have a lot of pain in a particular joint until it does pop and then it feels better. I guess when it does it that close to your ears out of the blue it would scare you. At least it doesn't hurt. smile Beth

#38282 - 05/27/06 11:02 AM Re: Very scary neck crack...
jellygator Offline

Loc: Missouri
Popping seems to help relieve aches at joints for me. Entire body pops. Chiropractor at one point expressed surprise at how easily my body adjusted.

I heard the thing about muscles snapping over it, but more commonly have read that it's bubbles in the fluid sac escaping. (Sorry, don't know the technical names.)

Question about the fusing thing, though. Will exercise and/or popping help prevent fusing at all?

#38283 - 05/29/06 06:09 PM Re: Very scary neck crack...
Rob H Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Westwood Hills, KS
Thank you all very much for your responses. I feel a little better now...

Rob

wink

Always remember, E=mc2 is a Localized phenomenon. Oh, and never forget where your towel is.

#38284 - 05/29/06 08:05 PM Re: Very scary neck crack...
MIKWONDO Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Mississippi
If I had a dollar for every time my neck and all my joints have made a loud crack, I would be rich.
I think when you should be worried is ,if after the loud pop you feel numbness or pain.
Best,Mike :p

#38285 - 05/29/06 10:48 PM Re: Very scary neck crack...
north Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N Z
Bones moving and crackling are scary. Even more so if you hear louder sounds of body organs as happens when you have fibromyalgia! Like 'rusty' pipes!!! If theres anything like that too, add extra minerals to your diet.
It does help to get a good therapist to straighten things out, however, I can assure you that if you can solve the AS [assuming you have that- for me it was by eliminating starch-] and also take the minerals you will find that the joints settle down. It has taken about 3-4 months for that to go away after I started taking the supplements.
Sitting in my car was one way to get everything straight. The seat was straight, some might say uncomfortable, but it was good and straight, and a slow 'chin-in' and back and "crick" the neck was OK again.
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved