Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45440 - 08/14/06 11:12 AM fluid in shoulder
janice Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: united kingdom
Hi everyone,Ihad an ultrasound done on Friday ,after nearly 2yrs off and on of shoulder problems.I have been told it was everything from frozen shoulder,fibro,osteo,impingement,and possible rotar cuff tear.Well the doc did the ultrasound and said he couldn't find a tear,but there was fluid around the joint and he would do a report for the rheumy.Does anyone know or have experience of what this means, confused I don't see the rhuemy until September thanks,Jan. smile

#45441 - 08/14/06 11:27 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
chattermouth73 Offline

Loc: NY
they have told me that my son has fluid in his sholder joint and that if it gets that painful they woll try to drain some of the fluid out. His knees have alot of swelling but it seems to come and go depending on how much he is on his feet. are you taking any anti inflamatories?

#45442 - 08/14/06 11:28 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
Rob H Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Westwood Hills, KS
I haven't heard of fluid on the shoulder, but I can relate to the whole impingement and possible rotator cuff pain thing. Mine was so bad that I had a whole series of trigger point injections and xrays - My rheumy said there was some bone-spurring and that was what was causing the majority of the pain. Whenever I flare up, my left shoulder gets the worst of it, along with my neck. I sure hope you get some relief soon - it's no fun not being able to use your arm because your shoulder hurts so much!

Rob

Always remember, E=mc2 is a Localized phenomenon. Oh, and never forget where your towel is.

#45443 - 08/14/06 11:35 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
IrishElf Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Upper Midwest
Well, having fluid on the shoulder is much better than all the other things listed they thought you had.

I did have some fluid from the inflammation in my shoulder and it hurt like ****! LOL

As you slide down the bannister of life...May the splinters never point the wrong way.

#45444 - 08/14/06 11:42 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
janice Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks,yes I am taking anti inflammatories and they injected the bursa in February which worked up until the last few weeks. They won't consider any steroid at the moment because of the cellulitis and staph aureus of the sinus.Rob it never ceases to amaze me that most of us are going around like "old crocks" falling apart,but getting on with things we have to do in life,when I know some people who go to bed for a week with a cold :rolleyes: ha ha ha ,love,Jan smile

#45445 - 08/14/06 11:45 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
janice Offline
Registered Visitor

Irishelf! stop sneaking in ,it looks like I'm ignoring you ha ha ha ,love,Jan laugh

#45446 - 08/14/06 11:50 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
crustyhermit Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: USA
janice, this is an ongoing problem for me and Elf is right, it really hurts. What usually brings the pain down is a steroid injection right into the shoulder joint. When I get my shoulder injected when it's swollen and filled with fluid, the injection pain is ugly but passes. My shoulder will hurt more than usual for about a day or two and then start improving. I let my rheumy do my shoulder and knee injections because she get's that needle in the right place the first time.

#45447 - 08/14/06 11:53 AM Re: fluid in shoulder
crustyhermit Offline
Registered Visitor

Yikes, no steroids. Another thing a doc tried was lasix. I can't remember if it helped or not but a doc prescribed it when I had fluid in my jaw joint.

#45448 - 08/14/06 12:00 PM Re: fluid in shoulder
janice Offline
Registered Visitor

Mine is exactly the same Crustyhermit,been going on around 2 yrs, presents as impingement or rotar cuff pain,they give horribly painful steroid shot that settles after a few days then 5 or 6 months later its back!What is it?is it the A.S. my rhuemy likes to call everything osteo,I'm sure it's because he is not allowed to prescribe anti tnf until Feb 2007. He even say's I need a hip replacement because of osteo :rolleyes: but isn't it more likely to be the A.S. if that's what you are diagnosed with? Maybe because it took him 7or 8yrs to diagnose me he's embarrassed to admit the damage is his fault,ha ha ha laugh Jan.

#45449 - 08/14/06 12:11 PM Re: fluid in shoulder
crustyhermit Offline
Registered Visitor

I have AS, rheumy says it's AS. I have been told that my AS damage has caused secondary osteo. Yep, my shoulder is like yours. The problem returns, hurts too bad to use the arm and throbs all the way down the arm. Why can't your doc prescribe anti-tnf's for awhile? Did his prescription pad run empty? :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved