Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#48274 - 09/09/06 10:24 AM Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to Doctors who suggested that I have either AS or DISH. I understand that both of these diseases involve "calcification of soft tissue."

The western diet and lifestyle can lead to
a magensium deficiency. If you consume excess calcium from diary products, eat a lot of fat and protien, drink a lot of coffee and tea or take diuretics, are under stress, consume alcohol and sugar - all of these can lead to a magnesium deficiency.

The first day I took a magnesium supplement I felt a tremendous reduction in pain. It was like a miracle. It is claimed that magesium supplemention will disolve calcium deposits. Whatever is happening - I am feeling much better.

There are many forms of magnesium salts on the market as supplements. The one I am using is magnesium citrate.

#48275 - 09/09/06 11:11 AM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Rob H Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Westwood Hills, KS
Magnesium is definitely a good thing. For one thing, you cannot process calcium without magnesium, that's why a good calcium supplement always contains magnesium in some form. I take Citrucal Plus Magnesium, and I do believe that it helps. I've been taking 2 grams of calcium a day ever since I found out I have osteopenia, along with Fosomax to reverse the bone loss.

Rob

Always remember, E=mc2 is a Localized phenomenon. Oh, and never forget where your towel is.

#48276 - 09/09/06 03:30 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard of taking calcium along with magnesium, which I guess would be good if you were deficient in calcium.

In my particular case, I get lots of calcium, mainly from too many cheese enchiladas, etc. I intend to supplement with magnesium only until I am feeling "100%". And then I will give up all supplements and focus on having a diet that includes lot of fruits vegetables and whole grains. And I hope to reduce my coffee consumption considerably. My "AS" or whatever developed (I do not have the gene) while I was living a lifestyle of drinking about a quart of strong coffee daily, and not getting enough fruits and vegetables.

I am using a product called "CALM" - but there are many manufacturers of Mangesium Citrate out there.

Many people probably are already have enough calcium in theie diet. And when they supplement with calcium, they could be causing further calcification of their tendons and ligaments.

Thats my take anyway. I am supplementing with Mangesium only. My improvement has been astounding.

#48277 - 09/09/06 03:51 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
SarahC Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Spring, TX
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong-and would hope they do so I'll have correct info, but I think people with AS usually need a calcium supplement?

That's what I've gathered from reading these boards. The bones kind of erode, and the calcification that occurs of the tendons and ligaments is very brittle. That's why it's all too easy to break a fusion.

Before my husband was diagnosed he had high levels of calcium in his blood-I'm guessing he wasn't absorbing normally? Anyway, before we could get answers, I got laid off and we've never had decent insurance yet. That issue has never been brought up since.

Another poster on here takes magnesium for fibromyalgia, which my husband also has. How much do you recommend to supplement? And would any type that you could buy at a drugstore be okay?

Thanks for your input.

Sarah

#48278 - 09/09/06 08:59 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Sarah,

As far as a straight answer on anything regarding whether or not calcium supplementation is the right thing to do, consider that there is a ton of contradictory information on the internet.

If you search wide and deep, using google, you will find that some people claim that calcium supplementation can actually worsen a "calcification of soft tissue" problem. That is what I have, calcification of soft tissue, the best I can reckon, giving the information I have been given (xrays).

By the way, I didn't have an elevated TNF or the AS gene. But I was told I have AS by one doctor. Another one told me it might be Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH.) There is another form of arthritis called Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Deposition Disease (CPPD) that sounds like it has similar symptoms. With so many form of arthritis, it is no wonder that I feel no one really knows exactly what is wrong with me. But one thing I do believe is that somehow I am getting mineral deposits in my tendons and ligaments. This can be seen on xrays. I understand that this is called calcification. I have been stiff to the point where I have considered applying for Federal Disability. My problem is pretty bad really but I carry on.

I have read that there are about 190 different forms of arthritis, and a few at least involve "calcification of soft tissue," (e.g. AS, DISH, CPPD).

If you search with google, again wide and deep, you will find suggestions that magnesium will alleviate much of the problem, if not clear it up entirely.

I am not exagerating when I tell you that I felt better the first day after starting to take magnesium citrate. Other magnesium salts are also made into supplements. And there are many companies that market magnesium citrate. I am using a product called "Calm." I put a couple of teaspoons in a cup of hot water and let it fizz. Then I drink it. I do this sometime after dinner, usually an hour or so before bed. It relaxes your muscles for one thing. It helps you sleep better and deeper. And much of my pain disappeared. I am becoming less stiff. It is claimed that over time magnesium will dissolve calcium deposits. As good as I have been feeling I bet you it is true. Magnesium could be the cure for many people maybe.

Do a google search on three words together "Calm, Magnesium, arthritis "

Have your husband try some magnesium. It won't hurt him. And it does have a slight laxative effect that seems to be healthy.

I have been something like a cripple for the last several years. I have a stiff neck. I now have hope that I can cure myself. I did have a lifestyle that would have depleted magesium. I drank a quart of coffee a day and worked under stress , in front of a computer 8 hours a day or more. I ate lots of cheese, steak, eggs mayonaise every day and didnt' get my share of collard greens, spinach, salads, etc.

#48279 - 09/09/06 11:49 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
SarahC Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Spring, TX
Wow, you sound just like Jerry. He's pretty bad off pain and stiffness wise. Lifetime of crappy diet. Stressful job. I'm going to buy some tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Sarah

#48280 - 09/10/06 04:51 AM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bet you he will feel better very soon.

It was disappointing to me that none of the Doctor's that I spoke to even mentioned that my problem could be a magnesium deficiency. The Rheumatologist I went to was ready to put me on prescription medicine - even though he wasn't really sure exactly what form of arthritis I really had.

I heard about Mangesium from a neighbor who had used it for a crick in his neck. He heard about magnesium from his Doctor. I know another guy whose Doctor told him to take magnesium for low back pain. So some Doctors are tuned into Magnesium. Most I would imagine are not.

I have read that many Doctors have "consulting" agreements with pharmaceutical companies. The pharmaceutical companies can't pay Doctor's directly for prescribing their medicine. But they can hire them as consultants, and there are rewards for being a consultant. I would guess this is why many Doctor's are so apt to prescribe prescription medicine - when something simple and natural does a better job.

#48281 - 09/10/06 08:00 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
north Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N Z
Magnesium, B3 and l-carnitine, B12 is a good basis to start from to get over inflammation, fibromyalgia [and MS, ME and ...?.]
However if you were wanting just magnesium, The "recommended daily allowance" about 300mg should be taken in proportion 1:2 with calcium [RDA about 800-1000mg] [Absorption of Mg is aided by B6 and malic acid.] In proportion also with potassium 1:2 with calcium. smile
Potassium is so often depleted by too much salt in our diet. Bones require a few other nutrients at the same time; one example Boron. Calcification of tissue or bone is often the result of deficiency of something else quite different confused There has been a case of a child being given a medicine for [was it cancer?] that removed calcium from tissue - someone gave that info on a previous thread ....sorry, cannot remmember the name.!!!!
What I am trying to say here is that is important to get the diet sorted out as everything works together and a diet should include everything the body needs to form the substances it needs to build and function. Nothing much really hangs around long for the other nutrients to catch up next month to create the emzyme, amino acid or whatever it has to make.
The problem is figuring it all out confused part of my long journey - good luck wink
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place

#48282 - 09/10/06 08:45 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Spenser23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
From Googling the words, the two things which seem most vital, are that 1) Magnesium Citrate is used to induce defecation, and 2) Potassium, Sodium and Magnesium citrates all have interactions with Methotrexate and people taking Methotrexate should NOT take Magnesium Citrate, Potassium Citrate or Sodium Citrate.

Spenser23

#48283 - 09/10/06 08:54 PM Re: Magnesium has worked wonders for me......
Anonymous
Unregistered

All I can tell is that I started to take Magnesium Citrate as a supplement - nothing else -and my pain began to subside immediately.

I am also becoming more flexible.

What I would suspect is that it would also work for people who came upon this condition the way I did. I drank a lot of coffee, 6 strong cups a day maybe, and did not get a lot of fruit and vegetables. And I ate a ton of red meat every day. And I was sedentary due to the requirements of my job. I was tied to a computer constantly, and when I got home I was too mentally tired to even think about exercise.

The magnesium supplementation has made me feel better than I have felt in years. And I am just using magesium - nothing else. Of course I do what I can to eat right also.

I have hope I will reverse this entirely. At times over the last 3 years I have been so stiff I couldn't roll over in bed. I could hardly drive because I could not turn my neck. But now things are getting better.

I can only hope other will also benefit. I sure that there are others who would be helped by straight magnesium supplementation. And it is quite possible that people who eat a cheese and drink a lot of milk - probably have too much calcium already - and excessive consumption of calcium can deplete magnesium even further - I have read.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved