Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#52680 - 11/08/06 05:01 AM Inversion Table?
Chelle Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Valparaiso, IN
I was wondering if anyone has used an inversion table and experienced significant pain relief?

My physical therapist suggested it might benefit me.

The A.S. has progressed to the point that I am unable to sit for more than a few minutes, in spite of stretching exercises 3 times a day. frown

Chelle
Small Fiber Neuropathy in Legs
Nerve pain in Medial Branch nerves dx's with nerve blocks

#52681 - 11/08/06 12:40 PM Re: Inversion Table?
KarenB Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern California
I have often wondered about this. I will be watching this post to see what people say about it. It seems like it would feel sooooo good. Sometimes I take my recliner and go way back and then rachet the foot part as high as it will go and it feels so good to lay that way but I always wish I could go "higher" and that would feel great. -Karen-

#52682 - 11/08/06 03:31 PM Re: Inversion Table?
Brock Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
Nearly all gyms have a “Decline Bench,” sometimes called other things. Usually used for bench press or sit-ups. Fully adjustable so that you can lay flat or bring up to significant incline (decline).

I am not sure about reducing pain but it is great for a good stretch of the back and mobility. IMO Sit-ups/stretching on Decline Bench and stretching on Swiss Ball are two of the best stretches that are not readily achievable w/o benefit of equipment.

Never used an inversion table but I suspect effect is similar.

#52683 - 11/08/06 05:18 PM Re: Inversion Table?
Chelle Offline
Registered Visitor

Well, DH bought me an inversion table, but, unfortunately, I don't seem to weigh enough to use it. It seemed like such a good idea.

#52684 - 11/08/06 06:30 PM Re: Inversion Table?
susie39 Offline

Loc: virginia
I bought one at Costco. I paid about 175 dollars for it. Used it for about 3 months. 5-10 minutes each evening.

It did not help my pain. It did not make it worse either.

I don't want to discourage anyone.

Just if you decide to sink the money.... I found them on craigs list for much less.

If you google them you can read about the great things they do for some people. It is probably a great stretch. I just did not work for me.

(I sold mine at a yard sale for 15 dollars.) smile

I hope the person who bought it is enjoying it.

susanna

#52685 - 11/09/06 03:58 AM Re: Inversion Table?
Chelle Offline
Registered Visitor

Susanna,

Thanks for letting us know the table didn't help you. DH is returning mine, since I can't bring it back to the upright position.

Chelle

#52686 - 11/09/06 05:24 AM Re: Inversion Table?
Sparks1956 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Pinellas Park, Florida
Hi,

Another thing to consider is that it takes a little time to get used to the blood rush to the head. If you decide to get one, you need to gradually get used to it, inclining a little more each day until your comfortable with it. If your not relaxed, your muscles remain too taught to let your joints stretch.

Sparky

#52687 - 11/09/06 07:56 AM Re: Inversion Table?
Chelle Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi, Sparky.

I had no problem with the blood-rush thing. I was just unable to make the table invert back to the upright position using my arms. The instructions said not to use the handlebars. After doing some research on-line, I think I may be too short for many of the models, due to the height I have lost due to disc compression. Now, we are looking into a power inversion table.

Chelle

#52688 - 11/09/06 11:23 AM Re: Inversion Table?
True Tinka Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: East Tennessee
Hi All,
I have a inversion table and my Doctor told me to use it every day for 3 minutes. This is all it takes to achieve results. I have had it now for about 7 months and my son and I use it religiously. It has helped. It works alot like traction, you feel the results about an hour later, maybe 30 minutes. It helps me stand taller and I feel like I am doing something. It may all be in my head but we think it is a good thing.

Tinka

"I have A.S. - A.S. does not have Me!"

#52689 - 11/09/06 12:27 PM Re: Inversion Table?
Sparks1956 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Pinellas Park, Florida
Hi Chelle,

A lot of people may not have a problem with the blood rushing to their head, but a few may so I just thought I would mention that part of it. I have heard that inversion tables are also suppose to be a help to people that had bulging discs as well. I used to stand in the corner of where my kitchen cabinets came together and lift my self up, letting the weight of my body stretch my back. I always felt better afterward, but my shoulders are about shot now, so I can't do it anymore.

If you decide to get another table, I hope it works better for you,

Sparky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved