Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#53366 - 11/21/06 10:54 AM AS related to Celiac disease?
PeaceAngel22 Offline

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Celiac is related to AS? Both are auto immune diseases. Both affect the digestive system. With Celiac there is an allergy to Wheat, gluten, and sometimes dairy. With AS it tends to be starch and dairy. The flares from eating "bad" foods effect people with both diseases. The results are usually loose bad smelling bowel movements with stomach discomfort. Maybe they are sister diseases. Anyone here dx with both or think they have both? I have the HLA B27 marker and now have been on the gluten free, diary free diet for a week and have noticed some small improvement with my bowels.

#53367 - 11/21/06 06:36 PM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
Chelle Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Valparaiso, IN
I have both, Celiac & AS, as well as Lupus, Hashi's & Hypo. Several of my doctors have explained that when you develop one auto-immune, you are prone to developing more. Between the diet for AS & the diet for Celiac, there isn't much left for me to eat.

It takes two months for gluten to clear your system, so hang in there, it gets better. Wish I could say the same for AS.

Chelle
Small Fiber Neuropathy in Legs
Nerve pain in Medial Branch nerves dx's with nerve blocks

#53368 - 11/21/06 08:26 PM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
drizzit Offline
Registered Visitor

Angel

I have just taken the blood test for celiac disease and I get the results on friday. I have been on a food elimination diet for about one year now and I definately see stomach/bowel issues with gluten and lactose.

As I have learned to eliminate these from my diet I have also seen my AS pains improve. I am not cured and I know the AS is still there but I feel better and some strength is coming back. In fact I am now off all nsaids and other meds and just live with some nasty stiffness every morning and after a long day on my feet.

Here is an interesting link showing a connection to an arthritis that has symptons identical to AS but is related to stomach and bowel disease.

Steve

Enteropathic Arthritis

#53369 - 11/22/06 02:02 AM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
Charlie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
Hiya

I have tried many of the diets to see what relief I can get from psoriasis / IBS / arthritis.

I have been on a coeliac diet (gluten-free) for some 5 years now. It does seem to help with my psoriasis, which although it does flare from time to time is a great deal less troublesome than it used to be. It also put a stop to the frequent diarrhea I was having. I did once have a blood test to try to determine whether or not I was coeliac, but that was weeks after I had stopped eating gluten. You should be eating it at the time of a test. My GP did not inform me of that, and at the time my medical knowledge was not good enough to figure it out. I have also tried exluding dairy, and NSD (5 weeks). NSD wreaked such havoc on my bowels that I had to give it up after that. So, although I've had some success with my skin...

...NO DIET HAS EVER HELPED MY ARTHRITIS, NO MATTER HOW DEDICATED I WAS TO IT

37, Female, Psoriatic Spondylitis
www.charliefoulkes.com

#53370 - 11/22/06 07:33 AM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
PeaceAngel22 Offline

Thanks everyone. All this just consumes my mind and I just keep hoping for a way to end all the discomfort. The gluten free dairy free diet is helping. Even though I am HLA-B27 postitive, have the protruding discs, and stomach troubles, I know my doc will never dx me as he is clueless to AS and to Celiac. Whether I get an "official" dx at this point is kind of mute. I just want to be able to take care of myself and hopefully make some kind of improvement in my quality of life. I am just thankful to have found this message board.

#53371 - 11/22/06 09:31 AM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

I have no problem with glutens/starches/wheat whatever, either with my digestion or my AS.

I am lactose intolerant and have been for ages, but that is very, very common among adults who are not of Scandanavian descent, so I doubt they are related.

Apparently, celiac disease is now more common than was once thought, from what I have read.
43, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

#53372 - 11/22/06 11:44 AM Re: AS related to Celiac disease?
Rach Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Michigan, USA
Celiac disease is mentioned in the following article which you might be interested in:
e-medicine article on enteropathic arthropathies

And yes, if you have one automimmune disease you are more at risk of having others too. Here is an article that talks about genetic links in autoimmune diseases:
AARDA article

I suspect I may have celiac disease because wheat causes me problems, but don't have a diagnosis for the same reason as Charlie - I had the bloodtest after going gluten free.
This might be why a low starch diet helps my arthritis. The last few months I have been eating all sorts and got a really bad spondylitis flare. Hmmm....maybe a connection? I am now trying gluten free and not low starch to see what happens.

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved