Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54031 - 11/30/06 04:04 PM Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
momtotwoboys Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern New York
And which is safer? I think one of them has a risk of heart attack, etc. I talked to my rheumy and she said she would try and prescribe something and gave me a choice between the two.

What do you all think?

Tracie

#54032 - 11/30/06 04:19 PM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
MichiganWolverine Offline

Loc: Cleveland/Akron Ohio
I tried Mobic and it didn't work for me. Haven't tried the other drug. I did take Relafin (another NSAID) for a long time w/great results and no stomach upset/side effects. That said, everybody's body reacts differently, so Mobic might work for you. You just don't know until you try something. I started the DMARD Methotrexate this week. It's supposed to have really bad side effects, but I have had very few. Sulfasalazine, which is supposed to be much milder caused Drug Induced Lupus in me. The lesson I've learned is to just try the drug, and be prepared to change it if it doesn't work or has bad side effects for me. I don't buy more than a 30 day supply anymore!!

All that said, I really hope that whatever drug you choose, you find relief with it!
Lee

#54033 - 11/30/06 04:45 PM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
Natalie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oregon
I had good results with Diclofenac. It helped the arthritis quite a bit but did cause mild stomach upset and dizziness. I always took it with food. I tried the kind that is coated with Cytotec, to protect the stomach lining, which they call "Arthotec" but it caused nausea. If you take Arthrotec, you have to make CERTAIN that you do not become pregnant.

Mobic caused me to have terrible stomach pains. My rheumatologist said she wasn't very impressed with Mobic's ability to improve arthritis in general. However, each person responds to meds differently. Side effects aside, I was able to tolerate Diclofenac well for a long period of time. Just drink lots of water with it to keep hydrated and the risk to the kidneys is much lessened.

Good luck,

#54034 - 11/30/06 11:50 PM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
Doll Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: California
I agree with Lee, you just have to try it and see if it works for you. I was on Mobic for a few years and did fine on it until recently. Right now I am waiting approval to start Humira because the NSAID's are not as effective for me as they use to be.

#54035 - 12/04/06 06:35 PM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
Rai Rai Offline

Loc: Colonia, NJ
Mobic used to work for me, the other made me sick. These drugs work differently for everyone though, its basically just trial and error.

#54036 - 12/05/06 04:34 AM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
Rach Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Michigan, USA
I find diclofenac a lot more effective than meloxicam. Diclofenac only helps me a fraction as much as Humira does though.

I find Celebrex does practically nothing, and others find it very effective, so response to NSAIDs must be very individual. You don't know till you try, that's the best test.

Don't know about side effects though.

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

#54037 - 12/05/06 07:31 PM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
kimgal Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hi,

OK, don't laugh. Two of my three dogs take mobic. The Vet wrote a script and I have it made into a liquid suspension at a compounding pharmacy. They make it a beef flavor for the dogs.

What a huge difference. The nine year old has had two knee surgeries and has inflammatory disease in her spine. She runs like a two year old.

The Golden oldie just started two months ago. He now runs like a seven year old, doesn't sleep near as much and isn't hobbling as much the day after exercise.

Kim

#54038 - 12/06/06 05:08 AM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
NJsurfer Offline

Loc: Manasquan, New Jersey
Vioxx worked great for me until it was banned, then I was switched to Bextra, and that was banned as well. I was then prescribed celebrex which caused me to break out into terrible hives. Next drug was Voltaren (diclofenac), and it has worked well with minimal side effects. I think you body adjusts to the medication over time. It's been a few years on the voltaren and I do well with it. Hopefully no long-term problems.

Good luck with your choice.

#54039 - 12/06/06 08:57 AM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
Vidaloqa Offline

Loc: South Dakota
Bextra was life changing for me. After years of pain, I could wrestle on the floor with my boys! For the first time in their lives! It was great. Then the darn FDA took it off the market and life has been touch and go since. I tried Celebrex, Voltaren, Relafen and Vioxx over the years with poor to moderate results. I would walk over fire for some Bextra. But now I 'm on Mobic, and while it's not Bextra, it does keep me moving without side effects. I have to take it EVERY day, which has been part of my challenge since I've been a night nurse working 12 hour shifts for the last 3 years.

Trial and error is all you can do. Each individual will react differently to the same drug. Keep the faith, close your eyes and pick one. It if doesn't work, try another.
Lisa

#54040 - 12/06/06 08:58 AM Re: Mobic (Meloxicam) OR Cataflam (Diclofenac), which is better for pain?
curlyme64 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I got good results from Mobic for a few weeks before it cause my stomach to bleed. Now, I take Celebrex for a few days, let my stomach rest and start again. I havent been able to find anything that doesnt hurt my stomach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved