Spondylitis Association of America
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#69473 - 06/23/07 10:12 AM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
Sierra Offline
Registered Visitor

I had gone to the dentist 4 times a year prior the the loss of the filling; I had routine dental care. The dentist was simply out to make more money. It was a new dentist - referred by someone I trusted - after my health persuaded me to no longer travel 3 hours round-trip to continue seeing the dentist I had been seeing for a couple of decades.

The shot was in the upper part of my mouth; it was either tooth number 13 or 14 that lost its filling and, several weeks later, cracked. The needle had blown through the nerve. So much for bringing in a second dentist said to have "over 40 years experience."

My neurosurgeon dx'd the TN and sent me to my neurologist for it.

Numbness should generally wear off at about 2 weeks, max. When it wasn't wearing off, I called the dentist and asked why my face had no feeling. The dentist's idea was to keep waiting. After several weeks of "waiting," I sought a second opinion. And, I never went back to that dentist.

My old dentist is now retired, and I do have most the feeling back, thanks to the neurologist.

#69474 - 06/23/07 05:59 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
Wormy Offline

Loc: New York City
I also see only Endodontists for my root canals. I'm absolutely flabergasted that none of the previous ones had ever mentioned the problem with calcification to me althought the evidence of it is right there on my x-rays. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. It's so nice to hear that I am not the only one who has run into this problem. Now at least I will have the knowledge about what's happening when a tooth that is supposed to be dead still hurts.

Years ago, I had terrible problems with several teeth with previous root canals. Two of them were eventually removed, one after an abscess 5 years after the original procedure. Yet another tooth suddemly began to hurt a full year after the root canal. The procedure was repeated, yet I still suffered pain. Eventually, I agreed to an apicalectomy, where they drilled through the jaw bone to remove the tip of the root. Of my! What an awful experience. I will never suffer throught something like that again. Even after all these years of doing as much as I can to keep my teeth, I would sooner have one pulled than to do another apical.

Juanita - I also seem to have problems with the Novacine the Dentists use. It seems that my body can metaboliza it at a phenomenal rate and I often need double or even triple the dose that a normal person would use. I doubt it has anything to do with the AS, but rather, my unique physiology. After all, we all react differently to meds and a large part of that is the way our own body metabolizes the med. Also, your bridge functions as a cap for the tooth underneath that has had the root canal. I wouldn't worry about that. I also have one root canal and one healthy tooth holding a bridge on.

Mamadi - I learned that lesson well. Once, I waited too long and needed crown lengthening just like BB had done. Now, everything gets capped ASAP. This time around, everything is being done in temps, because I need orthondontia and can't bring myself to pay for permanent caps on all these teeth only to have my bite moved. I've got them all done with permanent cement though and once the braces come off, I'll have the porcelains done.

Sierra- There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to leave you witha temp filling while they drag out the cleaning. Sure, there are reasons to do the deep cleaning in quadrants, but with my "soft" teeth, I'd be loath to leave work unfinished while we played around with cleanings. Push the dentist to finish the owrk already. The cleanings can be done anytime, but if the temp keeps falling out, you are running the risk of more decay while you wait Additionally, if you're on any type of immunosuppressants or Biologics, you're pushing the envelop with infection and abscess in that tooth. Make them get it finished ASAP! Like you, I have multiple AI diseases and worry about the possibilty of implants. I could really use 2 of them, but wonder if they'll even hold. I know I've had some bone loss and then there's also the possibility of additional bone growth thanks to AS. After all, I've already got extra calcification in my teeth and I have heard stories of people who've have all of their roots fuse together. Like you, I've also got significant TMJ problems. I dislocate both joints completely when I "Open Wide" and worry everytime I have a novacaine injection about nerve damage. Too often I get the electric chock through my face when they hit the nerve. When I'm having bif work done (and that's often lately), I end up at the Pain Mgmt Doc for lidocaine trigger point injections to numb the nerves and relax the muscle spasms. I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare that you've been through.

Pamela - Although you are quite correct in your description of why the deep cleaning in quadrants is necessary, I can't see how leaving a patient with a temp filling that keeps falling out is ever appropriate. While doing the restoration of the one tooth, the Dentist could well do the necessary cleaning that needed for that one tooth.

#69475 - 06/23/07 09:56 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
CB in CA Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Keah,
I had 4 root canals done in 3 months and all 4 failed one after another. The first 2 I had the root canals redone right away. I was quite upset when they had to drill through my costly new crowns. On the 3rd and 4th root canals, I refused to put crowns on because I was afraid they too would fail and I would have to drill through crowns. The teeth still ached several months after treatment so my good sense had me stalling. My Dentist actually called me a "Baby" to my face for not having new crowns put on these teeth. After 11 visits for pain over a period of 5 months, I was told I needed apicalectomy's instead of root canals. With half of my face swollen and in terrible pain I went to the Endodontist. He said I needed emergency treatment as the dentist forgot to remove a root in each tooth. They were abcessed. In fact, he one tooth he said was the worst he had ever seen in his life.
I filed a grievance with the dental insurance company and got the amount paid for the original root canals but not for the crowns or second root canals. After being so traumatized, I didn't bother having the crown placed on the 4th tooth which broke. But lengthening did work.

Thanks for the tip about having an apicalectomy. I think I would have become so traumatized by that I would have never sat in a dental chair again in my lifetime. I will have the tooth pulled if needed instead.

#69476 - 06/24/07 09:49 AM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
Wormy Offline

CB, Please don't decide not to do the apicalectomies because of my experience. It was very painful for me, but in the end, I was able to keep MY tooth. Then, I wasn't experienced enough to know about adequate pain manamgement and so my pain was poorly treated. If I had gotten better pain treatment, it wouldn't have been nearly so traumatic.

The goal for me has always been to do whatever was necessary to keep my own teeth. I do not want dentures and am concerned that between my autoimmune diseasse, AS and osteoporrosis, I may not be a candidate for implants.

The pain fromtheprocedure was terrible for the first week. After that, I believed it was better. I woke up one day, three weeks after the procedure and realized that the pain was finally gone. I was shocked at how much pain I had gotten used to and didnt realize how bad it had been ntil it was gone. Now, I have an excellent Pain Doc and when I need to have tough dentalprocedures, he prepares me with extra pain meds, muscle relaxants and trigger point injections to numb the nerves and muscles.

True, I said I would rather pull a tooth, but that is my emotional response to the situation. Should it ever get to the point where I needed to consider the options for real, I might need a consult with the Pain Doc first. If he could promise to work with me, I MIGHT consider it, but only with the additional help. Dentists are not very into Pain Control. They seem to believe that a tylenol with codeine should make everything better. Heck, I've been told more times that a simple tylenol would take care of my dental pain. Yeah! Right! These folks don't consider that I take Oxycodone for my joint pain. A tylenol is like a sugar pill and any pain above my normal lelvel requires a bump up in my narcotics.

My favorites, of course, are the dentists who tell me to take ibuprofen, even though they know I have Crohn;s Disease. Enough ibuprofen would toss me into a HUGE flare! UUUGGHH!!!!!

Anyway, if you need the apicals, please look into all of your options. If you have a Pain Doc, talk to him/her or get a referral for one to get you through this dental nightmare. They can be very helpful even if you don't have the apicals, to get you some relief from all the other problems the decbacle has created.

Best wishes.

#69477 - 06/24/07 10:17 AM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
CB in CA Offline
Registered Visitor

Keah,

Dont worry. This all happened about 4 years ago.

Upon my emergency visit to my Dentist, face totally swollen, and in terrible pain and being told, "There is nothing wrong with you, What do you want me to do?" (this was after he called me a "Baby" the visit before) I got up, walked out the office and went next door to an Endodontist..who turned out to be one of the best in our area. He was flabbergasted that my obvious physical symptoms didnt tip this Dentist off and added that it was clearly obvious what was wrong with one xray.

I had all 4 root canals redone, all 4 teeth were saved, all 4 with crowns and I am ok. Winning my grievance made me feel vindicated although, I didn't get compensated for my pain and suffering which I felt I was clearly entitled to.

What I learned from this experience was to follow your gut feelings. Something inside me told me to document each appointment(what was said and done. )My "journal" was the clincher in easily winning my case.

As for the recovery, just the last tooth (the one that broke) was questionable because the abscess went on for so long, the Endo wasn't even sure if the second root canal would take. I dragged my feet on getting the crown so I wouldn't waste $600 if the tooth would need pulling...and then my error in judgement almost made me get the tooth pulled from the breakage.

My brother had an implant done. He had a tooth pulled and when they took it out, so went a junk of his jawbone. I wonder if this was caused from fusing. (he has AS but is in denial) His pain from the implant was so bad, he passed out. A week later, he was fine and he loves his implant.

#69478 - 06/25/07 06:37 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
mommasase Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Indiana
I mentioned this in another post. There is a fibrous joint under your teeth called gomphosis. It is fastened to the jawbone by the peridontal ligament. Wormy...this just goes to prove my theory...no joint is immune from this disorder. The pain was probably from inflammation, then the joint calcified, similiar to how alot of our other joints fuse.

#69479 - 06/25/07 06:57 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
Wormy Offline

That is interesting Mommasase, but I don't think it's the case for me. although I might well have some pain from inflammation of the gomphosis, there is no calcification outside of the normal boundaries of the root. In other words, I'm not fusing one root to another, or any root to the mandible or maxilla. I have no additional bone growth in my jaw and actually have some bone loss in a few places.

My problem is that the inside of the canal has calcified to the point that the entire nerve cannot be extracted through the normal process of root canal.

#69480 - 06/26/07 11:19 AM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
mdeisme Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Mission Viejo, Ca
A lot of supposition here.

#69481 - 06/26/07 12:12 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
NicoleH Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: So Cal
My husband, who does not have AS, is having all his crowns and root canals done over. His dentist did a poor job on all of them. I sent him to my new dentist, an artist is what I like to call him, and he fixed all of them without having to remove the teeth. He removed all the old fillings and crowns, filled the holes and was able to build any cracked teeth or holes on the sides up with white flakes and now all of his teeth are nice and white now and no silver. He saved all the teeth. He had to fix all the RC b/c the dentist never got all the way down and my husband still had tooth pain. The new dentist was able to get all the decay out b/c it was infected and he almost lost that tooth. He already had two pulled b/c of that. Had we known prior that we could have saved those god awful looking teeth, we could have spared two of them. Now they are all white, when before they looked soooo bad.

We are soo lucky we found this guy. He is a cosmetic genius and does all the implants restoration of teeth. That is why I call him a true artist.

I think people are getting savvy that dentists really should be doing such major work. AS or NOT.

#69482 - 06/26/07 01:11 PM Re: Dental Disaster-Calcified Roots/Incomplete Root Canals
CB in CA Offline
Registered Visitor

Nicole,

Will you share with us his name? What city is he in?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved