Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77726 - 10/16/07 09:27 AM teeth problems??
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
I'm having problems with my teeth cracking and breaking. My dentist is unfamiliar with AS and doesn't know if it is related or not. In the past two weeks, I've had two teeth break and have had to have two crowns. Does anyone else have a similar problem or know if there is any link between AS and teeth problems (calcium, etc)?

#77727 - 10/16/07 09:34 AM Re: teeth problems??
Mark D Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
I have a friend on Enbrel who swore that she lost several teeth to sudden cavities that multiplied apparently as a side-effect of the drug (infections?). Has anyone heard of that? It sounds similar. I have heard of gum disease and jaw infections developing while on TNF blockers. As for me, I go the the dentist every 3 months now.

#77728 - 10/16/07 12:20 PM Re: teeth problems??
mommasase Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Indiana
If you have problems with IBS or other intestinal problems chances are you may not be absorbing nutrients effectively...causing a vitamin deficiency which could lead to the problems you described.

#77729 - 10/16/07 02:24 PM Re: teeth problems??
jackieb Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Saltville
Ouch, Merlin what a bummer. I really feel for you. I hate, hate, hate going to the dentist even for a cleaning. I am so afraid they will find something wrong. Sounds like something else is going on you are too young to have tooth problems.

#77730 - 10/16/07 02:40 PM Re: teeth problems??
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

I have ulcerative colitis, and I was thinking maybe it was a nutrient absorption problem also. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this or new of any information regarding teeth problems with AS.

#77731 - 10/16/07 02:41 PM Re: teeth problems??
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
My children have spondy. I have the teeth issue. Depending on your age (not asking), it can just be a normal course of aging. I had 8 crowns in a course of 3 years. My dentist told me any filling you might have put in as a teenager (in my case) that were replaced about 10-15 yrs later only hold up so long and then you begin to see cracking in the teeth as a normal aging process. I was complaining; he told me quite normal.

#77732 - 10/16/07 02:42 PM Re: teeth problems??
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

I have ulcerative colitis, and I was thinking maybe it was a nutrient absorption problem also. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this or new of any information regarding teeth problems with AS. I've had problems with iron absorption in the past 6 months, so maybe it is also a problem with calcium. I've been taking about 1800 mg calcium supplement and 1000 IU vitamin D daily for years now.

#77733 - 10/16/07 07:10 PM Re: teeth problems??
Williamsonj7 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Virginia Beach
A lot of the meds we take make our saliva production slow down and that can affect your mouth and teeth. You can ask your dentist id he will order MI Paste.... great at keeping your mouth moist. Also and tooth that has a silver filling prob has cracks due to the metal expanding with hot and cold.... thats normal but does lead to crowns. And lastly habits.. such as chewing ice or pop corn and cause fractures and lead to crowns, changes in diet such as gum, soda, candy that is not sugar free. One little thing like gum can make a big difference that people don't think about. By the way I'm a dental assistant =)

#77734 - 10/16/07 08:01 PM Re: teeth problems??
IrishElf Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Upper Midwest
A year and a half ago I began having tooth problems. Including tooth infections, had 2 teeth eventually pulled and a really bad infected tooth that took 6 weeks of anti-b's to get better.
Then moved on to sinus infection, damage to 45% of the balance portion of my inner ear, allergies, gastritis and IBS.
BTW, I just read that low calcium and vit D can be made worse by IBS.

I really have begun to believe it's all connected. I have noticed that my teeth are chipping on the bottom edge and they are beginning to look translucent. They are cracking (why I had to have the 2 pulled and had one filled today because it too cracked) and even though my blood tests say otherwise, I do think my calcium is low. I know I'm low in vitamin D, I also usually run low in sodium and potassium.

A trip to your primary doc would be in order to discuss it and have blood tests to check.

As you slide down the bannister of life...May the splinters never point the wrong way.

#77735 - 10/17/07 05:18 AM Re: teeth problems??
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Williamsonj7, what is MI paste? How is it used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved