Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Weight Lifting
#87619 01/08/06 06:16 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Ari, how do you determine what is "reasonable". When I tried to discuss this with my rheumy and told her what poundages I was using (for 14+ reps) she told me that I should consider "walking in a swimming pool" instead. My quandry is that I have been lifting for 42 years, since age 16 and while the amount of wheight that I use may seem excessive on the surface, it is just what it takes to fatigue my muscles adn I never do low rep sets any more. At this point, my rheumy and I are basically in "denial" on this subject.
mike

#87620 01/09/06 11:17 PM
M
M
Hi Mike,

I lift weights two to three times a week. I truly believe that by keeping my back muscles strong (along with everything else) it is going to help me in the long run with my AS. I am sure you know this but the endorphins are great!!

Right now I am confused on a program specifially for my lower back.... Some of the traditional ways of lifting arent that great for me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lynette

#87621 01/11/06 05:40 AM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Lynette, I was lucky enough to be refered to a physical therapist who not only specializes in sports therapy and back injuries but was also an accomplished body builder. He gave me a couple of rules of thumb which are a little contrary to the form that I have always employed with traditional power lifting.

First, he told me to limit the amount of load on the top of the spinal column. Second, don't do anything that causes an arch in the back. Finally, make sure that the hips and back are supported in exercises that would place stress on those regions.

As you can see, that somewhat limits "free weight" exercises such as squats and dead-lifts, two of my favorites in the past. Fortunatly, the gym that I uses has a line of machines with the trade mark "Hammer Strength" which I have found create a very natural range of motion, similar to what is used with free weights.

In terms of lower back, what I am doing now is lateral cable rows but with no back arch and a more full body motion with the lower back involved.

Feel free to email me at mtsargent@hotmail.com if you want to take this "offline" so as not to "clog up" the forum.
mike

#87622 01/22/06 11:48 PM
M
M
I was diagnosed with AS about five years ago. I am actively going for bodybuilding workouts. My doctor is also not at the same page as me. She said I am also 8KG overweight for my height (68KG at 5'6"). BTW I'm 29 years old.

Live your life to its fullest. Try everything with care.
#87623 01/23/06 05:45 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by mtsargent:
I am a 'Newbie" also and am wondering if there are any weight lifters out there with experence in dealing with this. I have been lifting on and off for about 42 years and it still makes me feel good but my doc and I are not on the "same page". She is recommending things like "water aerobics" instead, saying that she is afraid that weight lifting causes too much stress to the joints but those sorts of exercises don't present enough resistance to actually stress my muscles..becomes pure aerobics which seems to make me feel worse. As I said, when I am done with a workout I have a much lower level of pain and a much greater feeling of "well being" so I am a bit "conflicted" and could use some advice.

#87624 01/23/06 05:53 AM
J
J
I've lived with AS for 22 years (I just turned 40). And I have been weightlifting seriously for 4 yrs. I'm not a bodybuilder, but I like to sculpt my body. I learned that you simply have to do those exercises that don't hurt on those days when you feel fine. Now I have started judo and jujitsu training. But I'm beginning to feel that this may not be the right martial arts for AS.

I would be interested in hearing from fellow AS warriors who have studies martial arts and choose to remain active.

#87625 01/30/06 04:28 PM
M
M
Hello all im 33 an have had a/s for over 10 yrs , i have seen many Dr.'s an many meds.sorry in advance for any spelling errors for my spelling is as bad as my a/s . smile based on my exp when i 1st found out i was diagnosed with a/s i had to get a hip replacement things were so bad . if you can run , run . If you can lift weights lift , i find also that machiene wieghts are better just for support factors however with excercise we must not forget the basics streching is always the best , while a 20 min workout may due, hrs of streching will never over due. med wise been on every pill there was , they may unintenseify the pain but i was still always in pain . embrell worked for me it took about 90 days to feel a big improvement , which i did but stil had pain mornings an eve's where difficult , but after being already on it for 3 years i have switched to remicaide. i noticed a differance that day an i have been better every day after. still stiff but alot less pain. Thank you

matt
#87626 01/30/06 06:59 PM
M
M
Hey Matt, I agree - do whatever you can do....

And Jafonso2, I have not tried any of the martial arts - I do try to do Yoga. My son however is heavy into Tai Chi and swears by it!!

I feel so guilty for the fact that I am still able to do alot physically because I know there are alot here that are limited so I feel bad mentioning it at times. Is that odd to feel guilt? I am so thankful that I can still run - I ran the St. George marathon in 2001. Of course I have to modify things and will not ever be a speedster but that is o.k. It is really the only time of the day that I don't have pain.... I lift weights as well and then like Matt said, stretch, stretch & stretch!!!!

Good luck everyone with your quest for better workouts!!!

Lynette

#87627 02/02/06 01:52 PM
V
VLD Offline
V
I see that this subject has been here since Oct. so I don't know if anyone will see my reply. If your body says it's good for you THEN IT IS. If doing an exercize makes your body say it is bad for you THEN IT IS. And each one is different so what works for one may not for the next. Your body is the very best judge. Like food: you eat (example) yogurt and feel great, the next person eats the same and has stomach pains. Same idea w/ exercize. I have learned to ignore stupid things that come from a doctor, no point to try to enlighten them. You can't teach a person something if they think they already know everything.

#87628 02/02/06 11:44 PM
M
M
Good Point!

L.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard