Next Thread
Print Thread
exercise for ReA
#87645 01/10/06 12:07 PM
A
Analia Offline OP
OP Offline
A
When I read about you all doing exercises I wonder how you do it. My husband has a severe case of Reactive Arthritis and he can barely walk! Am I to understand that most cases of AS are focused in the spine? Is this why you are able to lift weights and do other exercises? My husband used to ride a bicycle A LOT and ran several times per week. Now he can't even sit on a bike. He lifts very light hand weights to help in the extention of his elbows, but that is all he can do. I know that exercise is important for him, but it seems that all the suggestions are impossible for him. What can he do? Anyone else out there with Reactive Arthritis that involves the spine, shoulders, elbows, ankles, feet, neck... confused

Re: exercise for ReA
#87646 01/13/06 02:26 PM
K
K
Hi Anilia

Try a cross trainer works for me

Stuart

#87647 01/13/06 09:34 PM
D
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
Find a pool to get into and start off slowly. walk in the water. do everything you can do on land in the water. It takes all of the stress off the joints and makes you better able to move. A headed pool is even greater.

D Avery
#87648 01/24/06 03:58 AM
J
J
I think we all must take advantage of those special days when we feel well. Whenever I feel great I always workout. On those days I don't feel so well I workout only on the body parts or movements that don't hurt so much. Regardless, we AS'ers have to find ways and techniques that best suit us. Stay patient stay strong and never stay still. - Jose

#87649 01/24/06 11:44 AM
K
K
Try getting him to stretch regularly, start with a little then slowly increase, but try doing it everyday.
"The road is long, the roots are bitter, but the fruit is sweet", that's what my sensei used to tell me.
Your husband needs to try and exercise no matter what (obviously depending on his condition), beleive me after exercising the body feels real good.

#87650 02/23/06 07:34 AM
S
S
Try a certified pilates instructor (more than 400 hundred hours of training/practice) that is associated with a medical institution. Some pilates instructors are also PTs or work at a hospital setting. These types of instructors will have safe, creative ideas on how to adjust poses according to your husband's current conditions. A site where you can check out instructors and their credentials can be found by googling "pilates method alliance".
I recommend pilates or what some call "dance medicine" since the focus is on technique, breathing, core strength, and overall flexibility. I have been successful in performing many of the exercises during flares that involved my toes and plantar fasciitis.

Another exercise that people have reccomended to me, that your husband may like, is Feldenchris (sp?). I believe it focuses on posture alignment and connecting mental consciousness to body movement.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard