Print Thread
Frustration/overuse syndrome
#87671 03/25/06 03:40 AM
T
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
T
My daughter is a big tennis player and has managed a National level schedule despite JSPA. She had an injury last year and is returning to the court. She's had the patience of an angle, worked hard at keeping her conditioning, stretching yada yada yada. Her problems has always been her neck and her legs.

Now after 6 months off the court, she is having wrist issues. The Rhumy diagnosed her as "overuse". She's only playing 3 hours...absolutely nothing! She was playing 12 or more before her stress fracture. I just think his definition is that the JSPA is rearing it's ugly head in her wrists, largely because it's her left wrist...her non dominate hand. It's a hand she broke 2 years ago falling on the courth. She keeps plugging away with a positive attitude mostly. It's helping the professionals around her to understand that she's the same person. But, they're getting frustrated; we can't move her any faster foward than she already is. The rest of her looks so much healthier given all of her off court work.

She so dearly loves the sport. Her coach is one of the most important persons in her life. She used to spend 10 or more hours a week with him practicing.

I guess my question to you all...is how do you all decide what's really related to the disease? What's really "overuse"? How do I get outsiders to understand? Her coach has been ever so patient afte almost 3 years of this. He's like a big brother and worries about her daily...

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.
Re: Frustration/overuse syndrome
#87672 03/27/06 11:49 AM
S
S
hello,

I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you. It must be so difficult to see your daughter suffer with these ailments. Tennis can be so much fun. I can see that someone with her talent for the game would enjoy it so much. And it sounds as if it is a huge part of her life.

We do tend to 'filter' everything through AS. It is hard to tell what is related.

Besides stretching. What else has she tried for treatment of symptoms?

I am a mother of 4 boys. The younges 14, the eldest 20) I know it is very difficult to see your child suffer. I hope that things are improving for her.

susanna

#87673 03/27/06 01:08 PM
T
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
T
She uses ice bathes on her wrists, and she's had some massage work done on the forearms to loosen up from wrist to elbow. She tapes her wrists to supply support after being off the court for 6 months. She has eliminated the heavy topspin ball that they were working on because of the extreme stress on the wrist, and they have gone back to a flatter topspin ball. She is already on a host of meds from the Rhumy, most importantly Sulfasazine, the treats perpherial arthritis.

It's just that the Rhumy is quick to label everything overuse...when if actuality it's not very much time on the court. He's a very aggressive and very sharp peds Rhumy, so I guess I got it go with his diagnosis, it's just so hard to assume 3 hours weekly is overuse

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.
#87674 04/10/06 08:04 PM
F
F
I found this interesting because I was also diagnosed with spondylitits when I was 16, and at the time was very active in sports. The illness is in remission now but I still have a lot of soreness in my wrist, one that I fell on playing basketball before the illness. What happened to me was that I thought my wrist was sore so I used a brace which made it worse since I was not moving the joint. I still try to use it as much as I can. If you find anything that helps let me know.

#87675 04/10/06 10:13 PM
T
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
T
She backed down some from the heavy topspin, iced, and massaged the offending tendons. I was told that those are hard tendons to make feel better, but with a lot of work from she and I...it's getting better...not great yet.

The biggest help for her is to tape her wrists before she lifts or plays tennis. She feels they are weak, and a strong ball from one of the boys can send her back to square one. She doesn't immobilize it; she just makes sure it can't bend backwards too far.

She is always stretching them too.

#87676 04/18/06 04:49 AM
B
B
I was a tennis player for a long time, and in fact made it to state while in high school. So I definitely played my fair share. I have had symptoms of AS since I was about 12, and experienced the exact same things in my wrists that you are describing in your daughter. I hate to tell you this, but I am going to agree with the doctor that it is overuse syndrome. I had to give up playing tennis at the level I did. Yes this may be her life right now, but it may not be meant to be. I was also a musician all my life with dreams of Juliard, and through many tears and pure anger I was forced to give that up. You know, all I can say is, life sucks, but we find other things in life. And you know I have turned out to be a fairly well adjusted 20-something that loves a life that is surprisingly different from where I thought I wanted to be.

I am not saying don't dream big. That's the way you get through AS.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard