I have been a recreational cyclist on and off, most of my life. In the past four years, moving from east to west I developed a new passion for cycling and began riding more vigorously and for greater strength and endurance. Since my 30's I would take asprin or ibuprophen to ward off flair-ups in my lower back. I was never diagnosed with AS by my family doctor. I had an MRI of my back and the doctor said I had a thinned disc and that was the reason for my pain and excercise was the only thing that would help.

I just recently developed a case of acute anerior uveitis. I found out I am positive for the HLA-B27 haplotype and my opthamalogist said I likely had ankylosing spondylitis. Being that exercise and NSAIDs are recommended, I wonder if I had by simply wanting to stay healthy, staved off worse symptoms in my joints. I assume I would need an expert in AS to determine the truth of my assumption. At any rate, I am even more motivated to improve my physical well-being with excercise now. Just to give an idea of where I am coming from, a favorite saying I would say to people was that I excercised, in spite of the pain.

I do have a knee problem I need to be looked at for I had it swell up on me badly this past year. My right knee, only. I wonder if it is related to my being HLA-B27 positive.

I forgot to say that I am now 53