Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#249298 - 03/02/13 08:04 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
seekonk Offline
Registered Visitor
seekonk  Offline
Registered Visitor

It should be noted that turmeric is estrogenic, so it might not be the greatest drug for (1) men or (2) women who have any reason to be concerned about estrogen-related cancers.

Spondylitis since '08, finally diagnosed Feb '11.
Enbrel 50mg/week.
#249558 - 03/12/13 03:51 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor
JenInCincy  Offline
Registered Visitor

Cincinnati, OH
I had not heard that so I looked it up - not a lot of info out there but this page references the "weak phytoestrogenic" properties of turmeric.

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/turmeric

Probably not enough effect to contribute to breast cancer risk but worth noting along with other potential unintended effects of turmeric consumption.

FWIW, the author of this page suggests a daily dose of 1000 mg of turmeric to combat menopause symptoms - capitalizing on the phytoestrogenic effects.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490796-turmeric-for-menopause/

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
#249569 - 03/12/13 06:02 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
sNsA Offline
Registered Visitor
sNsA  Offline
Registered Visitor

ind
yea if i take turmeric i feel less pain and stiffness but more tired and less libido because of estrogen effect

seronegative spondyloarthritis or psoriatic arthritis from 2010,
#266652 - 05/23/14 07:20 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
kawasakiguy37 Offline
Registered Visitor
kawasakiguy37  Offline
Registered Visitor

California
I would strongly suggest anyone interested in Turmeric's NSAID like properties (curcumin specifically) to try eating the root fresh. For many years I thought turmeric would do nothing for me because I was trying turmeric pills / dried turmeric powder.

My first time eating the fresh root was amazing (it looks like ginger but bright orange inside). The taste is totally different and the anti-inflammatory effect very pronounced. I would say a decent sized root affected me more than a single dose of ibuprofen - and there is NO chance of getting an ulcer from turmeric (and a high chance from typical NSAIDs)

TLDR: Eat the root raw and fresh!

If your local markets dont carry it, amazon has the raw root and it holds up great when shipping (doesnt need to be refrigerated)

Last edited by kawasakiguy37; 05/23/14 07:21 AM.

Health is Wealth!
#266657 - 05/23/14 02:55 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
MDP Offline
Registered Visitor
MDP  Offline
Registered Visitor

San Marcos, ca
Kawasakiguy: how much of the raw root do you eat? You mentioned a 'decent size', but your decent may be my huge. :-)). I can't take NSAIDS so would love to find a replacement. Ibuprophen always helped my pain but wrecked havoc on my stomach! Thanks

Mary 57 yo,
DX AS in early 30's, costcocondritis, trochanter, Achilles & plantar enthesitis, Interstitual cystitis, osteoporpsis. Failed embrel & Simponi, allergic reaction to Remicade, Humira since 5/16/12, prednisone 10mg, soma, Lyrica, Butrans patch, voltarin ointment. Mother of 2, grandmother of 3, & wife to my very supportive husband, Larry.
#266889 - 06/02/14 10:02 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
GoGirl Offline
Registered Visitor
GoGirl  Offline
Registered Visitor

Does it stain your teeth?

#266961 - 06/06/14 01:36 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: GoGirl]  
an0thermike Offline
Registered Visitor
an0thermike  Offline
Registered Visitor

SF Bay Area
disregard this. Misread previous posts.

Last edited by an0thermike; 06/06/14 01:37 AM.

Mike / 32yo / HLA-B27+ / diagnosed with AS march 2012
FODMAP diet, Taking curcumin, and fish oil for inflammation, omeprazole, Tramadol PRN for pain, Celebrex, lots of probiotics, Xolair for rashes.
#275142 - 06/27/16 09:28 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
wilmawilfred Offline
Registered Visitor
wilmawilfred  Offline
Registered Visitor

Turmeric is extremely important in one's diet. I sprinkle a pinch of turmeric from Horton spice mills( http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=69 ) on all my veggies and rice or add them to soups and smoothies.I add them in my daily tea. Curcumin the active compound in turmeric accounts for much of health benefits. Some doctors even prescribe curcumin supplements. But such supplements may posses negative effects. Hence those supplements should be avoided and instead more of turmeric should be added into our diet.

#278990 - 09/13/17 12:17 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
Dr_IJA Offline
Registered Visitor
Dr_IJA  Offline
Registered Visitor

UK/ Spain- Global
does tumeric have starch? I have recently stayed of it as I thought that being no starch would reduce symptoms can anyone help me on this?

Hard of Hearing, CPVT and now this .... AS.
#278995 - 09/13/17 05:13 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]  
Ucla08 Offline
Registered Visitor
Ucla08  Offline
Registered Visitor

Just to weigh in late... but there's a difference btwn turmeric (the root) and curcumin (which is what's thought to be responsible for the beneficial proprieties of tumeric). Turmeric has low concentrations for curcumin (~2-5%) and curcumin is generally not very well absorbed in the body so if you want to use it therapeutically, research suggests that you would want to take curcumin extract, possibly with bioperine (black pepper extract that may enhance the absorption of curcumin).

Personally, I had good luck with this one (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WT4D57K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1, which has black pepper extract) but then was recommended to switch to Theracumin bc it's supposed to be better (http://naturalfactors.com/product/curcuminrich-theracurmin-2/). But, after a few weeks of taking it, I noticed that I could really tell when my dose of Meloxicam was wearing off (which normally I wouldn't). I checked the ingredients of the "better" one and it doesn't have the black pepper so I plan on going back to one that does have that.

I'm sure that every body reacts differently but there is a decent amount of research on the benefits of curcumin. Of course, there are plenty of problems with the research (was it funded by a group promoting a supplement? what formulation of curcumin did they use? etc). But, it has a very good safety profile and it seems like it's probably worth a try at least for most people.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan