Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#278250 - 06/16/17 09:01 AM Re: My Story with Ankylosing Spondylitis and Marijuana [Re: PrimalOcean]
Thesnakejakw Online
Registered Visitor

Mmj may be helpful for you, but it is not proven to even slightly slow progression down. I've had painful flares and mj would not work for me. Plus when you are in need of real treatment after years of taking mmj no doctor would recommend opiod treatment which is the best pain reliever for this disease. Though mmj is helpful for you now I would recommend it to anyone to take a disease altering drug with it to slow progression down and it is shown that it only has anti inflammatories properties and would not be a better choice then nsaids.eventually the disease will progress where you wish you took the drugs that were fda approved. Because you will need morphine and still be in pain...
Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed

#278680 - 07/31/17 09:41 AM Re: My Story with Ankylosing Spondylitis and Marijuana [Re: Thesnakejakw]
Anja Offline
Registered Visitor

I agree that medical marijuana won't counteract AS disease progression and that a biologic is the way to go. However, I don't think it's helpful to make sweeping comments about what does and doesn't work for pain. Everyone's bodies are different. I do take opioid pain meds in combination with medical marijuana, both of which I use under the advisement of (and full support from) my rheumatologist and primary care physician. For me, my pain has been much better managed on medical marijuana. Additionally, my inflammation levels have dropped since starting to use it. For some people, it does help.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan