Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#277476 - 03/08/17 01:27 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
Gslsls Offline
Registered Visitor

Well my rheumatologist said this is normal. She didn't offer any other advice but to keep doing what I'm doing. I guess the flare will pass with time!

#277479 - 03/08/17 02:33 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
GardenGnome Offline
Registered Visitor

I find Rhuemmy less than helpful most of the time. All the yare good for is getting an MRI and getting TNF approval etc. They dont wnt to research or do any tests on you all they want to do is prescribe TNF and send you on your way.

#277485 - 03/09/17 05:50 AM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
The weather effects me, it was extremely hot and than extremely cold and gosh, I could barely walk. Than I tripped and twisted my knee. frown

I think for doctors certain things are not controllable, like the weather so it is hard to spend your precious time on it.

Are you getting treatment? Proper treatment really lessens this issue. I also wash my hands alot, change the hand towels and if I go to NYC, I change my clothes the minute I get home.

Anna

#277520 - 03/12/17 03:23 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
Sheep1 Offline
Registered Visitor

gpauly- I get only one or two colds a year and I'm work from home- I literally go out only 3 times a week to swim and to go grocery shopping, and nobody visits me at home. My husband works from home and only goes out about once a week, he is never sick. My exposure to viruses is very low. I also took a virology class when I was in a graduate program and understand how viruses and our immune system works- so no, viral flairs are not my problem.

It is possible that your immune system is compromised due to another factor- you might want to talk to your rheumatologist.

Edited by Sheep1 (03/12/17 03:23 PM)
-HLA-B27 +
-Other: fibromyalgia dx in 2011 (wrong dx), endometriosis, severe pollen allergies
-Medications: Humira (since Oct, 2015). Weekly Humira start in Sept., 2016. Methotrexate (Dec. 2016). Aleve (as needed only), Lyrica, Tramadol, Baclofen, Vicoden, Tylenol, Xanax. Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid. Allergy Immunotherapy shots since 2009

#277521 - 03/12/17 05:37 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
gpauley Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Idaho, USA
Anna, as you might imagine, my wife and I are germi-phobes and are thus, meticulous about avoiding pathogens. Yes, I'm being treated. I've tried MTX, Humira, Enbrel, with no detectable help. I'm on Cosentyx now, with no improvement. I can take 40mg prednisone daily and it reduces flare symptoms by 20% or so. Largely, treatments/meds don't seem to help me at all (altho morphine is definitely helpful).
Dx AS in 2014, tried Humira, MTX, Enbrel with no benefit. 150mg Cosentyx 9/14/16 - 11/9/16, AND 300mg Cosentyx 12/7/16 - present, with no apparent benefit. 40-60mg prednisone daily is helpful. B27 neg and seronegative.

#277522 - 03/12/17 05:39 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
gpauley Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Idaho, USA
Sheep1 - understood. Yes, I plan to press my rheumatologist on this issue again next appointment.
Dx AS in 2014, tried Humira, MTX, Enbrel with no benefit. 150mg Cosentyx 9/14/16 - 11/9/16, AND 300mg Cosentyx 12/7/16 - present, with no apparent benefit. 40-60mg prednisone daily is helpful. B27 neg and seronegative.

#277523 - 03/12/17 08:46 PM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
chemman Offline
Registered Visitor

Sounds like your flares track the seasons. Assuming that you live in northern hemisphere, your symptoms are correlated to the lack of UV light reaching the earth and subsequent lack of light exposure and cold temperatures. I am the same way. I can always count on a flare starting sometime in January/February, and I am getting nailed like clockwork this year.

#277533 - 03/14/17 04:25 AM Re: AS flares caused by viral infections, solutions? [Re: gpauley]
Flowers Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi - I flare up too with illness. I get sick less often on low dose naltrexone. I take low dose naltrexone with a biologic, Arava and daily Prednisone. I would highly recommend trying LDN because it does no harm and is well tolerated. I think there is a new book out about LDN, called The LDN Book.

Shari

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan