Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#277556 - 03/17/17 06:06 PM Thankfulness  
Kris44 Offline
Registered Visitor
Kris44  Offline
Registered Visitor

Have been reading messages over last 6 months and became member in last week. I was officially dx with AS about a year ago and it's taken a while to come to terms with it. I have had spinal pain since I was 15 years old and flares on and off. When I told my rheumy he was shocked I had never been worked up for AS/arthritis, as it isn't normal for a 15 year old to develop lumbar spine pain with no trauma. And then there were all the treatments and drugs to consider and research. And their side effects. Finally, I feel like I have a plan I am going to stick to: Humira, Sulfasalzine, exercises, flexeril as needed. I am still having a lot of leg pain and restless legs and difficulty sleeping, so I'll f/u on that with rheumy next visit. But I don't feel so afraid anymore of the drugs and dx. I think reading everyone's experiences and thoughts have been very helpful and I am grateful for this site and those of you for sharing your lives. Anyway, I think I'll just take it one day at a time and when I have the energy and moments of decreased pain enjoy them while I can.

Female 45, ANA positive, HLA-B27 neg, MRI + sacro/iliac disease, DDD, psoriatic arthritis, coagulation defects, diskectomy
Symptoms since 15 y.o.
DX: 2 years ago AS
Past Meds: Sulfasalazine, Humira, Enbrel, Naproxyn, Cymbalta
Current Meds: Starting Methotrexate and Cimzia and continuing Prozac, Ibuprofen, Vit D, Folic Acid, Cyclobenzaprine, Mobic
#277560 - 03/18/17 12:16 AM Re: Thankfulness [Re: Kris44]  
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor

MS
Welcome Kris44. I'm glad you have a plan, and I hope you can find answers for your legs and sleeping difficulties.

I too am grateful for this site. I felt so isolated when I was first diagnosed because I had never heard of spondyloarthritis and didn't know anyone who had it. I've learned so much from hanging out here.

Ginny - 56 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic
#277562 - 03/18/17 03:59 AM Re: Thankfulness [Re: Kris44]  
thewino Offline
Registered Visitor
thewino  Offline
Registered Visitor

Florida
I hear ya Kris44. There really isn't any comparison to hearing other people talking about the very same stuff one is going through.

I am super grateful for this site as well. It's good to hear that you are becoming accustomed to the autoimmune meds. They seemed fairly scary at first to me too. Personally, I think I would be in constant pain and curled up in a ball in my bed every day without these medications.

One day at a time sounds like a great plan to me. Welcome to the site!!!

Thewino

Cimzia, Methotrexate SQ, Sulfasalazine, Prednisone

--Count all your blessings and remember your dreams. J. Buffett
#277565 - 03/19/17 01:52 AM Re: Thankfulness [Re: Kris44]  
GeorgeUPS Offline
Registered Visitor
GeorgeUPS  Offline
Registered Visitor

New jersey
And if this disease ever gets you down, double back and read your post, or ask for some help. I have hit the wall a few times with this disease, and been calmed down by wonderful people on this site.

Good luck and welcome

George

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan