Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277580 - 03/20/17 10:12 AM Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis
Sean O Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
This might sound moronic but has anyone ever had pain that was AS related that they felt more prominently in the lower abdomen than any where else.
I have had this disease since the late 1980s and this is new to me. For three weeks I have had a lot of pain in my lower right abdomen. I thought it might be appendicitis and went to the ER and they said no. Then I followed up with my family doctor and he said to go back to the ER and they did an ultrasound which showed an appendix which was not inflamed.
This may sound nutty but could it be my right SI joint causing pain in the abdomen? Anyone had this? It is driving me crazy.
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#277582 - 03/20/17 11:48 AM Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis [Re: Sean O]
Kris44 Offline
Registered Visitor

Yes! As a female, I thought maybe it was an ovary. I think the joint where the hip and pelvis connect, as well as the tendons that run through the area to the groin get inflamed and it is really painful and radiates into lower abdomen. I've had it flare multiple times over the years.
Past Meds: Sulfasalazine, Humira, Enbrel, Naproxyn, Cymbalta
Current Meds: Starting Methotrexate and Cimzia and continuing Prozac, Ibuprofen, Vit D, Folic Acid, Cyclobenzaprine, Mobic

#277586 - 03/20/17 01:02 PM Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis [Re: Sean O]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
It could be referred pain, from the SI joint or from elsewhere.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277597 - 03/20/17 07:48 PM Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis [Re: Sean O]
Sean O Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
Thanks. You are really making me feel better. This would explain why my abdominal scan was so normal but I feel so lousy.

I had the same doctor and nurse both times at the ER and both times the doctor ordered morphine for me and the second time I was there the nurse gave me one hell of a look providing the morphine. That was not why I was there and it really ticked me off to be treated like that.
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#277602 - 03/21/17 04:14 PM Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis [Re: Sean O]
kitkat203 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Coral Springs , Florida
I have found problems with all the back muscles put under strain from my inflamed SI joints,but also in the area you are talking about there is a muscle called the psoas. I had a PT who worked on stretching the psoas,which was as tight as a bow string! I can't describe the pain relief when it was less tight. It,s a tough muscle to work on yourself, but may be the answer to the pain you're feeling.

#277603 - 03/21/17 04:57 PM Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis [Re: Sean O]
Winston Online
Registered Visitor

Could indeed be the psoas, which runs in front of and across the SI joint. Are you able to do yoga or any kind of stretching? The yoga bridge pose targets the psoas some.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan