Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#277744 - 04/14/17 03:54 PM United Airlines made me abandon my mobility device  
Trey Offline
Registered Visitor
Trey  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York, NY
Here's a piece I just posted on Medium that's been getting some reshares and may be of interest:

United Airlines made me ABANDON my mobility device at the gate before my honeymoon - Medium https://medium.com/@treyharris/united-airlines-made-me-abandon-my-mobility-device-at-the-gate-before-my-honeymoon-8d74eee04038

It also serves as the "hey, the Segway miniPro may be great for you if you can stand but have trouble walking, it's been great for me" post I've been meaning to write here for awhile. I can't remember if Amazon product links are allowed here, but if they are, it's at: http://amzn.to/2pB1nGv

Last edited by Trey; 04/14/17 03:55 PM.
#277746 - 04/14/17 06:10 PM Re: United Airlines made me abandon my mobility device [Re: Trey]  
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
Sorry it happened, airports really suck now. Psssss Newark esp except for La Guardia. Newark got caught so many times screwing up security that they are extra vigilant at the wrong time.

So it was the battery that caused the problem?

Sorry, it looks like a fun thing to use.

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
#277747 - 04/14/17 06:20 PM Re: United Airlines made me abandon my mobility device [Re: Banana]  
Trey Offline
Registered Visitor
Trey  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York, NY
Originally Posted By: Banana
So it was the battery that caused the problem?

Ostensibly—but the regs, even as posted on United's own website (I linked to them in the article) are quite clear that it should have been allowed. You'd have to willfully misread—for example, to assume that the Segway miniPro is not a type of Segway but a type of "collapsible wheelchair", or that it doesn't have computer-managed lithium-ion batteries but old-fashioned "dumb" pure lithium batteries—to get to a reading where the battery's energy capacity was even at issue.

Quote:

Sorry, it looks like a fun thing to use.

It is! It's been so, so useful to me, but yes, it's a lot of fun too. :-)

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan