Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#277868 - 04/29/17 06:18 PM Re: Newly diagnosed with peripheral spondyloarthritis [Re: Jalf]  
Ucla08 Offline
Registered Visitor
Ucla08  Offline
Registered Visitor

Jalf, I just re-read your post and I was curious, did you go off sulfasalazine after things were more well controlled? Or is that something you've stayed on? From the way you had described it, I wondered if sometimes ppl will use SZ to manage a flare, say for a few months, and then stop.

My first sx started when I was 18 (I'm now in my 30's) but I only went to a rheumatologist a few months ago after having killer "plantar fasciitis" for a year and a half. It's doing a bit better after IM kenalog and starting meloxicam but I can tell it's not where it could be. Just saw the rheumatologist again and I was glad he said I did not need to start a biologic (doesn't seem quite bad enough for that to me) but a little disappointed that he seemed to think this was "good enough" (definitely don't feel good enough to say I feel good about the current regimen). I'm moving soon and will be starting with a new rheum so I will have to ask about SZ if this second try of IM kenalog doesn't seem to do it.

#277870 - 04/29/17 11:53 PM Re: Newly diagnosed with peripheral spondyloarthritis [Re: Ucla08]  
ahulett Offline
Registered Visitor
ahulett  Offline
Registered Visitor

Washington
Originally Posted By: Ucla08
I think I am in a similar boat... Still figuring this out and just had my 3rd visit with the rheumatologist. This is what he explained: he thinks I have AS and he's treating me for AS but but since I don't have any evidence of ankylosing (fusing) type changes, he sees it as being in the USpa phase, not the AS phase, and so he calls it USpa instead of AS, even though he says it is still AS...

Totally clear, right? crazy

Ankylosing implies fusion, so if there's no fusion, and there's no sign of another cause (psoriasis for psoriatic arthritis, reaction to a drug for reactive arthritis...) then it's "unknown" --> undifferentiated --> USpA. Good news is treatments are extremely similar for whatever bucket things are falling into, and if something more specific lands later, you generally keep going down the same path.

36 yo male - USpA July 2015; cleared by Mayo Clinic June 2017
Medications: meloxicam (7.5mg daily) and cyclobenzaprine (as needed) in mid-2015; hydroxycholoroquine early 2016; methotrexate 0.6cc Jan 2017 w/1mg folic acid daily; Enbrel Apr 2017; stop hydroxycholorquine, MTX, and Enbrel June 2017
Supplements: multivitamin and fish oil
Other: allergy shots for 10 years as a kid, and again since about 2009 along with zyrtec, flonase, and montelukast
#277873 - 04/30/17 12:24 AM Re: Newly diagnosed with peripheral spondyloarthritis [Re: alamode]  
taberge Offline
Registered Visitor
taberge  Offline
Registered Visitor

Sulphur,La. USA
USPA is undifferentiated spondyloarthritis. The disease has not shown where it is going to go in the form of damage to your body so the doctor's "flip flops" is where they are guessing which way it is headed. They do this because with this disease, the damage is already done when correct diagnosis is made. You doctor is trying to prevent that damage from happening.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan