Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278180 - 06/12/17 02:19 PM peripheral arthritis  
worldofme Offline
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline
Registered Visitor

Is this common? I'm having bad ankle, knee, elbow, and shoulder pain in addition to my spine.

#278184 - 06/12/17 10:02 PM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
ahulett Offline
Registered Visitor
ahulett  Offline
Registered Visitor

Washington
Can't speak if it's common or not, but it is something that I am experiencing myself.

36 yo male - USpA July 2015; cleared by Mayo Clinic June 2017
Medications: meloxicam (7.5mg daily) and cyclobenzaprine (as needed) in mid-2015; hydroxycholoroquine early 2016; methotrexate 0.6cc Jan 2017 w/1mg folic acid daily; Enbrel Apr 2017; stop hydroxycholorquine, MTX, and Enbrel June 2017
Supplements: multivitamin and fish oil
Other: allergy shots for 10 years as a kid, and again since about 2009 along with zyrtec, flonase, and montelukast
#278185 - 06/13/17 12:12 AM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
ThreeG Offline
Registered Visitor
ThreeG  Offline
Registered Visitor

I think it is statistically more common in women than men. for me (a woman) it was what took me to the doctor. I had horrible pain in my fingers, then hands, then slowly almost all joints, coupled with tenderness that made it painful to hold silverware. I strangely kept it separate in my mind from the back issues. Thankfully, mine are largely in remission with Remicade.

#278186 - 06/13/17 02:20 AM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
worldofme Offline
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline
Registered Visitor

Do you have low grade fever with the arthritis?

#278189 - 06/13/17 04:01 PM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
ThreeG Offline
Registered Visitor
ThreeG  Offline
Registered Visitor

I have a history of unexplained low grade fevers, but they do not seem to correspond to the arthritis flares. This was one reason I went undiagnosed for so long (I wasn't ticking the boxes for RA, and no one tested me for HLA-B27).

For what it's worth, though, my peripheral arthritis has been almost perfectly symmetrical, although I think that is generally ascribed more to RA than to spondylitis.

#278214 - 06/14/17 06:46 PM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
Golanist Offline
Registered Visitor
Golanist  Offline
Registered Visitor

Israel
Hi. Like so many others, I had symptoms from my teens. A knee here, wrist there, elbow sometimes. But I always found "good excuses" to explain them. These would come and go, sometimes more and sometimes less. During my studies in university I was told I had arthritis in the steno-clavicular joint , which I should have thought was strange for someone in her 20's,but.... It went away so.
The I was told that the pains in my arms and feet were due to enthesitis, but again it didn't occur to me to look any farther.
Fast forward to my early 50's, when my hips and SIJ got so bad I had trouble walking but worse than that, I couldn't lie down or sleep at all. Then I finally got to a rheumy who put it together in about 5 minutes. At the time my main problems were axial, but since then I've developed LOTS of peripheral stuff. Until a few weeks ago, about the only joints that didn't flair up we're my ankles, for which I was very grateful. Unfortunately , they've now joined the club so..... Yes!!! Lots of peripheral stuff to.

#278218 - 06/14/17 10:04 PM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
worldofme Offline
Registered Visitor
worldofme  Offline
Registered Visitor

I feel most of the doctors are useless and have no clue what's causing the arthritis.

They will give you mtx, sulfa, nsaid or tnf....all of these drugs are deadly and don't cure anything. Gosh...life sucks

#278247 - 06/16/17 06:42 AM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
jeanyus Offline
Registered Visitor
jeanyus  Offline
Registered Visitor

northeast USA
Unfortunately, arthritis, and in my experience, especially A.S.,does not affect and manifest in totally predictable ways. Also, the research/diagnosis/treatment guidelines seem to be a bit in flux, that now there is different categories of A.S. and medications emerging. Insurance seems to put the brakes on, depending on your plan and what co-pays are,besides the insurance and general medical practice is to try the general/cheapest drugs or treatment first that might help arthritis in general or early stages. A.S. can vary so much person to person, and having weird symptoms seems to be the "fun" of it! It is enough to drive you nuts when you are trying to get help and answers, but doctors are not magicians, with A.S. they have to look at the overall picture and try to make a treatment plan, giving it some time to see if your body responds in the desired way for improvement.I don't think Mobic does much either, before I even saw a rheumatologist, my primary doctor years ago tried that, then referred me. Too bad for me, the first rheumatologist misdiagnosed me as fibromyalgia, which happens more to women like me, since my early symptoms resembled that and an x-ray of my neck (where my spinal pain started) showed nothing. I also had shoulder pain then, and read some males have that, too. My arthritis was more peripheral at first as a female in 2012, but the lower back and buttock pain started lasted year. Now it is just about everywhere and can vary in severity, sometimes connected to activity, sometimes not: ankles,feet,wrists, hands,neck, shoulders, lower back the most, now sometimes knees and elbows, hips,sternum.I am also lots stiffer. When I finally got the right diagnosis in June 2015, I have had to go through testing periods of many medications used to treat A.S., most of which did not work or only slightly for short periods as my pain and symptoms got worse. I am generally a patient and enduring individual, but it has been frustrating. Because of all the chronic pain and symptoms, I basically have not cared what the effects or warnings were, but I am much older. I believe generally the sooner or younger your symptoms lead to correct diagnosis, the eventual treatment zeroed in will be more likely to curb symptoms. I seem to be one of the "lucky" ones for whom the disease has not been halted. I have been unable to work for months, good thing I'm married or I would be living with my 80 year old parents at this point.

#278248 - 06/16/17 06:52 AM Re: peripheral arthritis [Re: worldofme]  
jeanyus Offline
Registered Visitor
jeanyus  Offline
Registered Visitor

northeast USA
Oh yeah, doesn't really matter what caused the A.S., once it is diagnosed there is no cure or reversing it, just slowing it down or halting it - which is why correct and early diagnosis is so important - I had the earliest signs now and then, but since rest and NSAIDS worked at the time, I really never insisted on getting proper medical attention, until I had chronic daily pain and fatigue that didn't respond to NSAIDS or rest - and then the delayed treatment by three years of misdiagnosis...on Remicade now but it hasn't worked yet, only been four months.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan