Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#278401 - 06/30/17 05:34 PM Statin induced joint pain
theyoungestmuse Offline
Registered Visitor

Has anybody had problems with statins? Is anybody taking a statin without problems? I have tried three different ones. Some cause me to hurt within a few hours but all three times I wake up with my spine and other joints swollen and painful 72 hours after one dose. This has happened with Livalo, simvastatin and atorvastatin at very low doses. My LDL cholesterol is climbing and I have diabetes so the doctors really want me to take these drugs but the pain is terrible after just one lousy dose.
HLAB27+(thanks,dad)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since(Cosentyx,Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system)

#278449 - 07/03/17 02:36 AM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
GardenGnome Offline
Registered Visitor

Are you sure its spine and joint or severe muscle pain? Statins are known to cause a muscle disease called rhabdomyolysis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...is/faq-20057817

Also, I would try to change my diet to a healthy one for cholesterol. It is easily reversible unless you have a disease that causing you to have high LDL

Edited by GardenGnome (07/03/17 02:38 AM)

#278456 - 07/03/17 02:10 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
SAMum Offline
Registered Visitor

My husband has gout, and it has gotten much worse since taking statins. They increase uric acid. Don't know if it could be related to your problem, but gout is also an inflammatory arthritis.

#278460 - 07/03/17 05:52 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
theyoungestmuse Offline
Registered Visitor

I actually do not have high cholesterol. The doctors want me on a statin because of my diabetes and age. There is an article on medscape http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/8793...4128&faf=1. "Statin use increases odds of back disorder" including spondylosis, intervertebral disc disorders, herniated discs and spinal stenosis.
I just am surprised that one dose would aggravate my sacroiliitis like it did. They do not know how statins cause back pain they just know the correlation is there.
HLAB27+(thanks,dad)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since(Cosentyx,Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system)

#278461 - 07/03/17 06:54 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I take atorvastatin (lipitor) with no problems.

How does taking a statin tie in with diabetes?
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278465 - 07/04/17 09:15 AM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor

Current guidelines recommend that anyone with type 2 diabetes over a certain age (32, I think) should be put on a statin to lower their risk of heart attack and stroke. This is recommended even if the person's cholesterol is not high. The goal is to keep LDL cholesterol, in particular, very low (below 70, I think). But there is some evidence linking statins to the development of diabetes. So it's complicated.

#278498 - 07/08/17 09:13 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
I take Atorvastatin with no problems.

#278520 - 07/10/17 09:35 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
Swan Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oregon
Crestor works for me without side effects.

#278525 - 07/11/17 11:56 AM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
ck3po Offline
First time visitor

Originally Posted By: theyoungestmuse
Has anybody had problems with statins? Is anybody taking a statin without problems? I have tried three different ones. Some cause me to hurt within a few hours but all three times I wake up with my spine and other joints swollen and painful 72 hours after one dose. This has happened with Livalo, simvastatin and atorvastatin at very low doses. My LDL cholesterol is climbing and I have diabetes so the doctors really want me to take these drugs but the pain is terrible after just one lousy dose.

Have you looked into taking CoQ10 with your statin? Statins can deplete CoQ10 levels.

#278526 - 07/11/17 12:45 PM Re: Statin induced joint pain [Re: theyoungestmuse]
theyoungestmuse Offline
Registered Visitor

Yes, I take the ubiquinol form of CoQ10 at 200mg per day. I seem to have the least problems with atorvastatin on a twice weekly basis. My LDL has always been less than 100 but this last time it was 108 so the doc wants it a little lower, even if it means I only take the atorvastatin twice per week.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan