Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278919 - 09/05/17 09:45 PM Ocular Migraines?  
Eucid Offline
Registered Visitor
Eucid  Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi,
I've been referred to a rheumatologist! But the wait is ages, oh well.
Anyway, the other day, I was having a flair up and I had an ocular migraine. About a year ago, my back was sore (before I'd heard of AS) and I had an ocular migraine then too.
My mum said I had one as a young kid, I'm just wondering if these could be related or just a coincidence?

Thanks

#278931 - 09/07/17 12:51 AM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
Camerican Offline
Registered Visitor
Camerican  Offline
Registered Visitor

Dallas
From what I know of AS I'd say yes they might be related b/c AS can attack your eyes as well. Look into iritis, inflammation of the eye. It can be quite painful. I too have AS and migraines. How were your migraines diagnosed as "ocular"?

#278933 - 09/07/17 01:27 AM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
kglenn Offline
Registered Visitor
kglenn  Offline
Registered Visitor

I am currently being looked at for possible AS and am already diagnosed with scleroderma (a different systemic autoimmune disease). I have had what I believe are ocular migraines for at least 10-15 years.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I have read that autoimmune conditions may play a role in ocular migraines. I will be curious to see of others with more information respond.

All the Best!

Karen
Female, early 50's, HLA B27+, family history of SpA
Diagnoses: USpA (9/17), limited Scleroderma/Raynaud's phenomenon/Sjogren's syndrome (1/16), stroke, Factor V Leiden (8/15)
AS symptoms: right heel enthesitis; fluctuating mild low back, hip and neck pain; normal MRI
Treatment: Xarelto; Nitro bid; Voltaren gel; vitamins D3, B6, B12, folate; probiotic

#278942 - 09/07/17 06:52 PM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
memo Offline
Registered Visitor
memo  Offline
Registered Visitor

Chicago, IL
Hi there. I also suffer from both AS and migraines. The migraines started over 25 years ago and were ocular migraines. Diagnosed with AS about five years ago.

I believe they call them ocular when they have an aura. Does your vision get all blurry and do you see what I describe as shimmering stars?

It does seem like there is some connection between autoimmune and migraines. I also suffered from Psoriasis as a child. I did read an article recently about a connection between PsA and migraines.

The ocular headaches don't happen anymore since I started taking Topamax. Still get regular migraines a lot though. Neurologist said there is a new type of injectible medication on the horizon, still a couple of years down the road though. He described as a lot like the biologics we take for AS. Very excited for that.

#278948 - 09/08/17 09:10 PM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
Eucid Offline
Registered Visitor
Eucid  Offline
Registered Visitor

Camerican - When it happened the first time I went to the hospital as they thought it could be a detached retina. But once they checked it out, they said it was one.

Memo - A 'C' shape goes blurry/waxy lines, and it grows to a full 'O' shape. Lasts about 20-40 minutes, then a gentle headache for a day or two.

I've made a note of when it happened etc. and When I see the rhuematologist I'll let hime know. I was just wondering if others get them too.

#278965 - 09/10/17 10:35 PM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
onlywhenilaugh Offline
Registered Visitor
onlywhenilaugh  Offline
Registered Visitor

I almost forgot about my ocular migraine until I started reading this thread. A few years back I was having strange visual disturbances. Thinking maybe I was suffering a detached retina, I immediately went to see my eye dr. She said " Oh that's just an ocular migraine". She didn't seem to think it was a big deal even though I have a long history of uveitis. I have not had another episode since then.

Age 61. AS dx'd at age 57
HLA-B27+,iritis/uveitis periodically since 1970, diabetic
Meds. naproxen and muscle relaxer(as needed)
#279020 - 09/15/17 04:41 PM Re: Ocular Migraines? [Re: Eucid]  
Camerican Offline
Registered Visitor
Camerican  Offline
Registered Visitor

Dallas
When you get the full "o" shape can you still see or does it interrupt your vision
I too get migraines, I get a "#" shape that doesn't change, but is a sign that a migraine is on the way. I was diagnosed with migraines before AS. My neurologist had me keep a migraine log. I was able to trend various triggers; weather changes, quite a few foods, some strong odors, and sunlight glare. One neurologist thought my headaches had something to do with my neck, but no one else has ever correlated As & my migraines. Have you had someone correlate the two?
Both of my sisters have AS as well, and 1 of them also gets migraines. We share quite a few triggers.
Stay Strong

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan