Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#278922 - 09/05/17 10:30 PM Fatigue as main symptom of AS?
chemman Offline
Registered Visitor

Anybody else have fatigue as their predominant symptom of AS?

I had a decent flare this winter with swollen joints, but right now I'm just tired all the time. Exercise makes it worse! I've tried stimulants and antidepressants to no avail. They both seem to make me worse off in the long run.

I don't have hypothyroidism or any other metabolic disturbance outside of low testosterone, which is being treated with injections. I'm scheduled to get a sleep study, but I am doubtful that anything will turn up considering that I had a normal study in 2012/2013.

I've heard of one other person who claimed that fatigue was their main symptom of AS.

Anybody else?

#278938 - 09/06/17 10:19 PM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
Camerican Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Dallas
Yes, definitely. I sometimes think that the fatigue is sometimes worse than the pain.
The fatigue is definitely worse when I'm flaring, to the point that it makes it really hard to finish a day of work, which all I do is sit at a desk.
When I'm flaring I don't even try to work-out. It's also one of the many symptoms that is hard to explain or for people to see ... "oh I'm tired too", everyone is always tired, etc.... No one understands how debilitating fatigue can be.

#278939 - 09/06/17 10:48 PM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I have definitely had fatigue, especially before I was diagnosed, but it was never my main symptom. Humira and a (mostly) healthy diet help me keep it under control.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278963 - 09/10/17 09:45 AM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

Pain is my main symptom, fatigue is secondary , methotrexate helped my fatigue a little bit so far so has Prednisone but can't be on the prednisone forever.
Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed

#278964 - 09/10/17 06:28 PM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
onlywhenilaugh Offline
Registered Visitor

Although the pain is constantly with me, I would say that the fatigue is what makes it so difficult to function normally.

#278966 - 09/10/17 07:15 PM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
Sean O Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
I'd have to say the predominant symptom for me but the fatigue can be almost debilitating as well. I am chronically anemic though which is probably a big factor too.
I can barely function this fall outside of doing the minimum that is required of me in life simply from extreme fatigue
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#279014 - 09/15/17 03:14 AM Re: Fatigue as main symptom of AS? [Re: chemman]
KTM2014 Offline
Registered Visitor

Some days the fatigue is the worst symptom, but most of the time it's my low back and neck being the worst. Never goes away
Joint Pain in Fingers and Hips
Massive Fatigue
Brain Fog
Costochondritis
Migraines
Rx: Endomethicin, Nortriptyline, Prilosec

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan