Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#279132 - 09/29/17 01:48 PM Pain in small joints - toes
Sean O Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
At night the joints in my toes hurt. Weirdly it is usually one foot or the other. The pain really seems to be in the joints and the same type of pain you get in your SI joints except in the toe joints. Usually just in the small toes.

Sometimes they hurt during the day as well but always worse if they flare up at night.

Anyone have this with spondylitis? Hurts like the dickens.

I did search under the word toes in the search for this site but was coming up with a lot of stuff about people not being able to touch theirs.

Edited by Sean O (09/29/17 01:49 PM)
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#279138 - 10/01/17 08:21 AM Re: Pain in small joints - toes [Re: Sean O]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Whidbey Island WA
This has happened to me for as long as I can recall. I typically rub the feet with aspercreme and then put thick socks on. I used to have to soak them in very warm water when my AS we located in my toes. That was a truly painful time.

Severe Right Eye Glaucoma-
Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006.
DSEK Cornea Transplant October, 2009.
Ahmed Shunt June, 2016.
DSEK Cornea Transplant, November, 2016.

Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004.
Cured by RF ablation 2006.
Cardizem 240 CD.

ICU RN Seattle, WA

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

#279143 - 10/01/17 11:38 PM Re: Pain in small joints - toes [Re: Sean O]
Flowers Offline
Registered Visitor

I have pain in my toes, toenails and at bottom of feet. It helps me to put my feet under warm water. I was just prescribed a compounded pain cream with ketoprofen, ketamine and gabapentin. It does help a little. I was told it would take a few weeks to really kick in so I can let you know if it will work better in a few weeks. High dose steroids helping my feet at the moment. I had pain in my feet even on biologic but now without my biologic, it is much worse.

#279268 - 10/12/17 03:05 PM Re: Pain in small joints - toes [Re: Sean O]
Tulipan Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
I've had pain in my feet for years. From time to time I get muscle spasms in my toes as well. One of my little toes is deformed from extra bone growth. I think the pain is most noticeable at night because you are finally taking the weight off your poor feet and toes. What has helped me more than anything is wearing the right kind of shoe. I know you're not a woman, but most women's shoes are killers, and probably men's shoes as well. You need to find something with a thick rubber sole and good arch support. I wear Kalso Earth shoes exclusively now because they have a negative heel, which takes the weight off the front part of the foot. I don't know if they still make them for men. Another life saver for me has been Voltaren gel, which my rheumatologist prescribes for me. When my feet are bothering me a lot, a put it on before bedtime and it allows me to sleep. Voltaren is an NSAID, but in gel form it doesn't affect the stomach. (I've had ulcers from 30 years of NSAID and prednisone use.)

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan