Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#279147 - 10/02/17 04:13 PM Humira / Biologics
gaursri Offline
Registered Visitor

Hello All, I would appreciate feedback from those who are on Humira/Biologics with regards to any side effects both short term and long term. How are you managing your life now? Did you take any other medications or change your diet after Humira etc...and achieve complete remission and are now no longer on Biolgics? Thanks.

#279148 - 10/02/17 04:16 PM Re: Humira / Biologics [Re: gaursri]
Jlove621 Offline
Registered Visitor

Sorry, I can not help with your questions, but I'm curious, when you look at your post can you see what you posted or does it show blank?
I'm asking because I just did my first post, and when I view it it shows blank, so I replied to it and that shows blank too.

#279150 - 10/02/17 04:53 PM Re: Humira / Biologics [Re: gaursri]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
gaursi, I have been on Humira for a little over 3 years. No side effects at all. My meds are listed in my signature. I don't follow a particular diet. I take the indomethacin mostly for the secondary OA in my bad knee and hope to drop it or at least greatly cut back on it when I have that knee replaced, probably next year. The Humira made a huge difference in my fatigue levels, and I have no plans to try to discontinue it any time soon.

Jlove621, I have heard others say they had problems with blank posts when they used special characters in their post or when they did a copy/paste.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#279152 - 10/02/17 05:55 PM Re: Humira / Biologics [Re: SouthernMoss]
gaursri Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi SouthernMoss, When were you diagnosed? You managed this long on NSAIDS and supplements? Is Humira painful?Thanks.

#279172 - 10/03/17 03:30 PM Re: Humira / Biologics [Re: gaursri]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I was diagnosed in early 2013. At that time I had tried several NSAIDs, none of which helped much, so most of the time I didn't take anything. The only supplement I was taking was fish oil because heart disease runs in my family. Mostly I just got used to living with the pain. I would use a heating pad when my back would get really bad.

When I was diagnosed, I started methotrexate and we tried a couple more NSAIDs until we found that indomethacin worked for me. I started Humira a year later. The folic acid was prescribed because I take methotrexate. The calcium, vitamin D and vitamin A were suggested by my rheumy. I cleared the melatonin and probiotic with my rheumy before starting them.

Humira is painful for the 10 seconds it takes to inject. It feels like a bee sting. Many people ice the injection site before they inject to numb it and some ice afterwards as well. I have a fairly high pain tolerance, so I just grit my teeth, inject, say Ow! and move on.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#279241 - 10/08/17 06:28 PM Re: Humira / Biologics [Re: gaursri]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
I was first on Humira in they year 2004 and have been on various biologicals since. It took me many years to get diagnosed, so I had tried many diets, supplements etc. Nothing works but the real medications.

No side effects and I am so much better than I was before medications.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan