Print Thread
Shoulder pain and physical therapy #280032
03/08/18 10:54 PM
03/08/18 10:54 PM
theyoungestmuse Offline OP
Registered Visitor
theyoungestmuse  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Has anyone had physical therapy for shoulder pain? If you had it for suspected frozen shoulder were you told that physical therapy had to hurt? Even if you took more pain meds and had a reduced range of motion because of physical therapy?

Can anyone tell me what characterizes shoulder pain of ankylosing spondylitis? Would spurring in the shoulder of an ankylosing spondylitis patient be due to the AS or something else?

I have AS and have had iritis within the past two years and the reason for my question is that my rheumatologist insists that my peripheral pain including hands, knees and shoulder are something else and not AS even though the Cosentyx has helped my knees. It hasn't helped my shoulder though.

I suspect I have both AS and osteoarthritis in that shoulder because it hurts differently while on Cosentyx than off of Cosentyx. But I am still interested in your opinion. Thanks, Danielle

HLAB27+(thanks,dad)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since(Cosentyx,Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system)
Re: Shoulder pain and physical therapy [Re: theyoungestmuse] #280034
03/09/18 03:33 AM
03/09/18 03:33 AM
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Here's an article. Enthesitis is considered to a be a component of A.S., with peripheral involvement of shoulders and hips, etc. It's what plagues me too.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5195265/

Re: Shoulder pain and physical therapy [Re: MartinMMM] #280038
03/09/18 05:22 PM
03/09/18 05:22 PM
theyoungestmuse Offline OP
Registered Visitor
theyoungestmuse  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Thank You! That kinda answered my question. More answers than what I got from a rheumatologist and an orthopedic and a physical therapist combined. The reason I have been unsure is because the Cosentyx has not helped my shoulder in seven months. It helped my knees and feet and back. But my shoulder is nausea inducing painful. It has been MRI'd and X-rayed. They said there were some signs of a frozen shoulder but that some signs were missing.

I think I am going to have to set limits with my physical therapists. Stretching to the point of uncomfortable is okay but not to the point of screaming pain with spots in front of my eyes.

HLAB27+(thanks,dad)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since(Cosentyx,Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system)
Re: Shoulder pain and physical therapy [Re: theyoungestmuse] #280040
03/09/18 09:11 PM
03/09/18 09:11 PM
M
MartinMMM Offline
Registered Visitor
MartinMMM  Offline
Registered Visitor
M
A cortisone shot in the shoulder might provide enough relief to allow physical therapy and stretching. My shoulder issues have been primarily biceps tendinosis, and an ultrasound guided injection of cortisone helped for several months. Then it was up to me to free up the shoulder as much as possible!

Re: Shoulder pain and physical therapy [Re: theyoungestmuse] #280240
04/23/18 05:37 PM
04/23/18 05:37 PM
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
C
Cake Offline
Registered Visitor
Cake  Offline
Registered Visitor
C
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I was recently diagnosed with frozen shoulder.

I've had pain in feet, hands, knees, SI, spine, etc for 20+ years and Enbrel, mtx, morphine, and other drugs was keeping all that fairly controlled.

But the pain in my shoulder over past 8 months has been completely untouched by my drugs. It has been torture. It is soooo painful!!!

The orthopedic surgeon I saw, who specializes in the shoulder, and who has been in practice for 40 years, told me that many years ago, they believed that patients with frozen shoulder should go to PT and attempt to move the shoulder in order to heal (which would cause intense pain). He said that they have since discovered that this is not true. This doctor does not recommend that people with frozen shoulder should do anything that causes pain to the shoulder - such as PT, etc., as it will not speed up the healing process. Basically he said its just a matter of time for frozen shoulder to resolve. He said I can do gentle stretches if I want, but I am not going to harm myself if I choose not to.

Moderated by  RyanMiyamoto