W
Windguy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Windguy  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W
Oregon
Howdy

I'm 64 and dealing with AS (previously thought was DISH) since 2000 ish. Eight months ago I began treatment with Humira. In the last two months have noticed a very sudden onset of pain in my thumb joints. I have no doubt that Humira has helped with back pain - I now sleep in a bed instead of a chair. But, the rapid onset and severity of the thumbs issue has me wondering. Also, just noticing gout-like pain in big toes. But, I take allopurinol and my uric acid levels are where they belong.

Anyone have similar experiences with rapid onset "other stuff" in the arthropathy category?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Other Arthritic Symptoms After Humira [Re: Windguy] #280044
03/11/18 07:20 PM
03/11/18 07:20 PM
Kris44 Offline
Registered Visitor
Kris44  Offline
Registered Visitor
Hi,

I was on Humira for about 6 months. I had increased joint pain in my wrists and hands with swelling. It didn't help my back much either. My rheumy switched me to Cimzia. Cimzia has helped with a lot of the lower back issues, but the pain in my knees and feet and neck are the same. Inititally it worked very well, but as time goes by I'm not seeing as much help. I did have to stop my methotrexate, because it caused major stomach issues, so perhaps it lost some effectiveness without the methotrexate.

Anyway, I definitely had issues with more joint pain on Humira, and in places I didn't really have a problem in the past.

Good luck!
Krista

Female 45, ANA positive, HLA-B27 neg, MRI + sacro/iliac disease, DDD, psoriatic arthritis, coagulation defects, diskectomy
Symptoms since 15 y.o.
DX: 2 years ago AS
Past Meds: Sulfasalazine, Humira, Enbrel, Naproxyn, Cymbalta, Methotrexate, Mobic, Ibuprofen
Current Meds: Cimzia and continuing Prozac, Vit D, Folic Acid, Cyclobenzaprine
Re: Other Arthritic Symptoms After Humira [Re: Windguy] #280046
03/11/18 11:21 PM
03/11/18 11:21 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor
S
MS
I have issues with my thumbs particularly the right thumb in the joint where it meets the wrist. A few months ago I had a rapid worsening of symptoms. X-rays show some degenerative changes, so it's likely osteo. I wear Imak compression gloves at night when I sleep, which helps some. (I have to turn them inside out so the thumb seam doesn't press against that joint.) Celebrex also helps some.

I also had an episode several years ago where the first joint of this same right thumb became painful and developed a knot on the outside part of that joint (the part that touches the table if I lay my hand flat on the table, palm down.) My recollection is that it came on pretty quickly. It hurt a lot for a few months, then gradually quit hurting altogether over time. I'm pretty sure this was before my spondy diagnosis, so I just assumed it was osteo at the time.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

Moderated by  RyanMiyamoto