Oklahoma, USA
W
Winnebago Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Winnebago  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
W

Oklahoma, USA
Went to rheumatologist today for diagnosis and treatment. Definitely AS. Can't say thanks enough to everyone who gave advice. It really helped.

Right now we are doing the 3 drug cocktail with folic acid supplementation. Methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and Plaquenil. Dr. Carson wants to see if this helps before starting a biologic. Insurance usually won't approve unless we try the other 3.

I'm pretty far along in the progression of the disorder. My hands have started to become affected along with entire spine and neck. The damage is done and nothing will fix it. Right now we can try to slow the progression so I can still have some normal function and a chance at a more normal life.

For those in Oklahoma, I highly recommend Oklahoma Arthritis Center in Edmond. This is the place to go for inflammatory auto-immune diseases. Lupus, AS, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis. It's all well treated there.

Again, thanks to all for the help. Now to figure out how to live life with AS.

Peace

Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #280796
07/17/18 09:00 PM
07/17/18 09:00 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Online
Registered Visitor
S

MS
I'm sorry that it did turn out to be AS, but glad you finally have a diagnosis and a game plan. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #280811
07/20/18 08:23 PM
07/20/18 08:23 PM
D
djShel Offline
Registered Visitor
djShel  Offline
Registered Visitor
D

Hi - I'm in a very similar position as you...about to start the same treatment with the three medications you mention before being considered for a biologic...I did not get much information about taking these drugs from my doctor and have relied on some helpful feedback in this forum for guidance. I'd be really interested to hear how and when your medication is to be started (all simultaneously) and how you were advised to begin the treatment (if you are willing to share). Thanks, wishing you the best for this process.

Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #280828
07/22/18 04:44 AM
07/22/18 04:44 AM
Oklahoma USA
R
rumble Offline
Registered Visitor
rumble  Offline
Registered Visitor
R

Oklahoma USA
I've heard good things about that clinic. Glad you are going there. (I sort of wish there was something like that here in Tulsa, covered by my insurance, but my doc is helping me at this point, so I'll be okay for now.) Good luck with the treatments. Better to find relief with the cheaper stuff for a few years. Your pocketbook with be happier, as will your insurance. smile

Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis HLAB27+
MTX, gabapentin, strontium citrate
Cosentyx from Oct to Dec 2017. Then back to Cimzia in May 2018.
Already tried Remicade, Enbrel, Simponi, Humira, Cimzia, Cosentyx.
Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #280829
07/22/18 12:46 PM
07/22/18 12:46 PM
New York
Banana Online
Registered Visitor
Banana  Online
Registered Visitor

New York
Sorry, but glad you are finally getting treatment. All three can take 2/3 months to start working, so I hope it goes quickly for you.

About your hands!!!!!! Please ask for an educational script to see a hand therapist. You can accidently do more damage because we just don't know. AND "helpful" friends might offer advise that causes additional damage too. Example, several different friends kept telling me to squeeze a small ball. That CAUSES damage. My hand therapist taught me to never wring anything out (esp wash cloth is shower because your hands are warm), never carry sacks/bags with your fingers but have them on your wrist or elbow. They also teach you exercises. My hands are damaged and it is extremely frustrating and expensive. I drop glasses (with liquid in them) on myself. Because balance is off, both stove door and frig door broke off with 2 years of buy them. Same with car ignitions.

Good luck, glad you are getting treatment. Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #282137
11/26/18 06:49 PM
11/26/18 06:49 PM
Los Angeles, CA
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
RAHMBA  Offline
Registered Visitor

Los Angeles, CA
It's been several months since you started that treatment plan. I'm curious if it's effective for you. Hope you are doing well. thank you,

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Definitely AS [Re: Winnebago] #282139
11/26/18 09:42 PM
11/26/18 09:42 PM
PA
J
Jg19446 Offline
Registered Visitor
Jg19446  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

PA
Glad you finally got an official DX. I'm sure it and having a game plan is a bit of relief

JG xx

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto