10/13/18 04:25 PM
10/13/18 04:25 PM
Joshua Tree, CA
jtmak Offline
Registered Visitor
jtmak  Offline
Registered Visitor

Joshua Tree, CA
Are AS patients at risk for additional symptoms from the shot? Was considering it. Thank and good luck!

California, USA
Reoccurring Bilateral Uveitis Dx 1985
Reiters Syndrome Dx 1985
AS Dx 2015
SI joint fused
Re: Shingrix side effects--ugh [Re: kglenn] #281800
10/16/18 03:38 PM
10/16/18 03:38 PM
MS
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

MS
Well, my pharmacy has been out of Shingrix, so I finally went yesterday after work to another pharmacy in town (same chain) to get the first shot. I woke up in the middle of the night with a very sore arm. so I got up and took a Celebrex. Between the arm pain and my husband's bi-pap mask leaking (it makes a loud snoring noise when it leaks) I did not sleep well the rest of the night. I felt like I had been hit by a truck when I got up this morning. I'm not sure how much of that was from the shot itself and how much was from lack of sleep. I'm feeling a bit better now that I'm up and going. I have a welt on my arm that looks like a mosquito bite, and my arm still hurts when I move it (muscle pain because the shot is intramuscular). I'm running low-grade fever (99.5). I just took some Arthritis Tylenol, so hopefully that will help with the arm pain.

I've gotta say that even with the discomfort I'm experiencing (and presumably will again with the 2nd shot), it's definitely worth it. I know several people who have had shingles, and it is a terrible thing to have to endure.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Shingrix side effects--ugh [Re: jtmak] #281801
10/16/18 05:01 PM
10/16/18 05:01 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

Originally Posted by jtmak
Are AS patients at risk for additional symptoms from the shot? Was considering it. Thank and good luck!

No, I don't think so. In fact, I think AS patients on biologic therapy are at risk for having a lower immune response to the vaccine, i.e., the fear is the vaccine won't work as well in those persons. It's still recommended that you receive it if you are old enough. If I were old enough, I would get it because shingles can be quite awful. My mother developed shingles after falling and breaking her shoulder. She said the shingles hurt worse than the broken shoulder. Just know that people are reporting more side effects from this new vaccine than were reported with the old vaccine. Don't be surprised if you feel crummy for a few days after getting the shot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto