D
DadCue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
DadCue  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
D

Iowa City, IA USA
Originally Posted by Winston
I spend a lot of time these days thinking about where to retire. I find that weather extremes -- either too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry -- are less tolerable with AS and contribute to flares.

You can rule out the Midwest. Somewhere between the Gulf coast and the Midwest would be a possibility. I am retired and still think about where to retire. I will probably stay here because I am happy here. When I want to escape the heat or cold I will go visit places instead of moving there.

Re: What exactly is a "flare"? [Re: DadCue] #281662
10/06/18 02:54 PM
10/06/18 02:54 PM
J
JJJ Offline
Registered Visitor
JJJ  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

Ooo yes - spent 3 hours in a hot tub last week & felt so good!

Anyway - food as trigger - I’d dismissed it as all my Christmas-related gorging on sugar & fat is well over by mid-February, but hadn’t thought of all the starchy root vegetables that we eat when it’s cold... So I’ll be monitoring that this winter.

However the tree pollen idea does have me intrigued. I found this tree pollen calendar - UK specific, sorry, but maybe useful for other readers & maybe we can find a US one: https://www.worcester.ac.uk/discover/pollen-calendar.html. I’ve briefly looked up any contraindications to taking Zirtec (Cetirizine Hydrochloride) “Long term” and can’t see anything- I presume you’ve found that it’s okay, Winston? I guess I’d be looking at taking them for 6 weeks.

And I do agree - travel! Bermuda sounds very un-English from here but i know what you mean, I spent my childhood looking up old family in Ireland & agree it’s very special, if rather damp.
Jane (JJJ).

Re: What exactly is a "flare"? [Re: DadCue] #281827
10/19/18 04:33 PM
10/19/18 04:33 PM
Toronto
Sean O Online
Registered Visitor
Sean O  Online
Registered Visitor

Toronto
I'm in a bad flare now. I am at work but cannot concentrate due to the pain.

For me October and November are typically the worst months of the year. I live in Toronto so we get the type of weather you'd associate with the upper Midwest.

My pain control is not helped by the fact that I get nothing stronger than Tylenol No. 3s and I have to stretch so few of them over a month. Also, my last MRI showed no erosions or signs of inflammation, after decades of MRIs showing erosion as well as inflammation. The MRI was probably read by a resident (it was a university hospital) who did not know what eroded sacroiliac joints look like.

Canada seems to be much more restrictive than the US on pain medication. If anyone in the Toronto area knows of a rheumatoilogist who is more supportive of pain control.

Also, I have some prednisone at home. Do you know the dose you take for a flare?

Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.
Re: What exactly is a "flare"? [Re: Sean O] #281838
10/20/18 10:43 AM
10/20/18 10:43 AM
Iowa City, IA USA
D
DadCue Offline OP
Registered Visitor
DadCue  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
D

Iowa City, IA USA
Originally Posted by Sean O
For me October and November are typically the worst months of the year.

My pain control is not helped by the fact that I get nothing stronger than Tylenol No. 3s

Canada seems to be much more restrictive than the US on pain medication.

Also, I have some prednisone at home. Do you know the dose you take for a flare?

Yes, I agree, Oct-Nov are high on my list also.

I don't think Tylenol #3 will help much but may make you constipated.

Many years ago, the US gov't decided that it was everyone's right to be essentially pain free. Satisfaction surveys for health care providers were weighted heavily toward pain control. In order to get a good score, providers would freely give out pain medications. After all, it was taught, a person can't get addicted to pain medications if they were given for pain control. As a nurse, it seemed liked everyone rated ANY pain as a "10" and you were taught not to question anyone's perception of pain. Therefore pain pills were handed out like candy. This has created a huge market for pain medications and a huge problem as well.

Prednisone --- don't go there but anything greater than 5 mg is probably too much if taken longer than a few weeks but your system will probably recover. This medication is very risky.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto