Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
Humira worked like a charm for me. At first. I was one of those rare, lucky ones for whom the pain began to fade the very next day after my first injection. I was elated. Within a couple of weeks I had no pain at all. And for the first few months it was great.

But in the spring I got sick. And in the summer I got sick again. And now I'm sick yet again. It feels like I get milder versions of illnesses (because my body doesn't inflame due to the Humira working so well in me) but they last a LOT longer.

Can Humira work TOO well in a person? I know that's a weird question to ask but I can't help but wonder if, because I responded so well to the drug, it's suppressing my immune system TOO much? I've gone from someone who never used to get sick to someone who seems like I'm constantly fighting off something.

When I was in pain ... I could deal with the pain. It sucked but at least I could work out and I still felt like I had energy. And I know ... the inflammation was damaging my body in unseen ways as well. But this being sick all the time is starting to get to me. It's sucking the joy out of life.

I guess what I'm asking is ... is there such a thing as a milder biologic? My rheumy prescribed Humira because she said it was the optimal drug for someone with PsA and AS. But I can't help but wonder if there's something that's less harsh. That doesn't throw my immune system completely out of whack the way Humira does. Or or all biologics pretty much the same in that regard?

Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: MichaelSean] #281612
10/03/18 01:20 PM
10/03/18 01:20 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

No, it's not accurate to say that one biologic is "milder" than another. All the biologics suppress the immune system in comparable ways. They can lower the white count to such an extent that you catch every bug that's going around. (What are your CBC results showing re your white count?) But just because you respond to Humira in that way does not mean you'll respond to, say, Enbrel in that way. You just have to keep trying them until you find the one that works and causes with the fewest side effects.

Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: MichaelSean] #281615
10/03/18 01:36 PM
10/03/18 01:36 PM
Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
My CBC results have all been good. Everything in the standard range. But my last test (June) was before all this illness crap started to happen. I'm due for my next round of blood work at the end of the month. The only weird thing I noted was that my platelet count dropped after I started taking Humira. Still in the standard range but just barely.

Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: MichaelSean] #281616
10/03/18 03:22 PM
10/03/18 03:22 PM
Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
I guess the question I should really be asking here is, for anyone that's on a biologic ... what do you do about sinus infections?

I've had one for weeks now that won't go away. I passed it to my wife and she got REALLY sick. (Her doc just diagnosed her with severe sinusitis.) My symptoms aren't as severe, I believe due to the inflammation in my body being tamped down by the Humira, but it's just been going on and on.

Do you get an antibiotic from your doctor? Do you stop your biologic until it goes away? Do you just tough it out until hopefully it eventually goes away on its own?

I've been doing the sinus rinse once a night but so far to no avail.

Last edited by MichaelSean; 10/03/18 03:23 PM.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: MichaelSean] #281618
10/03/18 04:37 PM
10/03/18 04:37 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor
W

My rheumatologist gave me this article when I asked him similar questions: http://rheumnow.com/blog/rules-drug-cessation-infection

Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: Winston] #281621
10/03/18 05:37 PM
10/03/18 05:37 PM
Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
Originally Posted by Winston
My rheumatologist gave me this article when I asked him similar questions: http://rheumnow.com/blog/rules-drug-cessation-infection

That's an interesting article but it seemed primarily to address the issue of the rate of non-serious infections and whether or not to discontinue use of a biologic when you have one. (The answering being that unless you're in a hospital or running a high fever - no.) It didn't seem to address the matter of whether the infections would last longer, or be more difficult to get rid of, if one is on a biologic.

Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: MichaelSean] #281665
10/07/18 01:06 AM
10/07/18 01:06 AM
New York
Banana Online
Registered Visitor
Banana  Online
Registered Visitor

New York
Dr John Raville considered Enbrel as the "mildest" but not sure in relationship to infections. When I started Humira I had sinus issues. But I started to eat hot/spicy Thai food the evening I injected and that helped a lot. Hot enough to make my nose run and eyes water. The first three months and the three months after you stop are the easiest to get infections. So not sure stopping is helpful.

Good luck,

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As A Milder Biologic? [Re: Banana] #281669
10/07/18 03:11 PM
10/07/18 03:11 PM
Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
Originally Posted by Banana
Dr John Raville considered Enbrel as the "mildest" but not sure in relationship to infections. When I started Humira I had sinus issues. But I started to eat hot/spicy Thai food the evening I injected and that helped a lot. Hot enough to make my nose run and eyes water. The first three months and the three months after you stop are the easiest to get infections. So not sure stopping is helpful.

Good luck,

Anna

First three months I had no issues at all. But I started Humira in the winter. My problems began in the spring and summer. I'm VERY allergic to tree molds and am surrounded by trees so that may have something to do with it. I found an old thread from this forums from 2012 where someone said their allergist told them that allergies can be worse if you're on Humira. So I'm looking forward to the first couple of frosts to see if that helps matters. Luckily I live up north so I shouldn't have to wait too much longer.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto