Toledo, OH
M
MichaelSean Offline OP
Registered Visitor
MichaelSean  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
M

Toledo, OH
My sister has diabetes. I have psoriatic arthritis (which is responsible for my AS). What they have in common is that they are both autoimmune disorders. So when I came across this article I found it to be of interest.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...rculosis-vaccine-could-reverse-diabetes/

This paragraph, in particular, caught my attention.

"Based on evidence that BCG is also beneficial for mitigating autoimmune disorders, Dr Faustman’s group initiated a small clinical trial wherein adults with T1D were given two BCG vaccines four weeks apart or two placebo shots. Four years later, the vaccinated subjects’ (n=9) average blood sugar level had dropped by over 18 percent, nearly back to non-disease levels, without inducing episodes of hypoglycemia."

What was also of interest is the reason autoimmune disorders seem to be on the rise in the most civilized parts of the world. It's counter-intuitive but it seems to be because we're TOO hygienic. Everything is clean. We overuse antibiotics. Apparently our immune systems NEED to dirtied up a little in order to function properly, to put it in very unscientific terms.

I used to get a sinus infection, or two, EVERY year. In November and February. Like clockwork. And my doctor would also prescribe me an antibiotic for it. I can't help but wonder if overusing antibiotics for 25 years contributed to my developing PsA and, as an extension, AS.

Last edited by MichaelSean; 10/05/18 01:11 PM.
Re: Interesting News About The TB Vaccine [Re: MichaelSean] #281658
10/05/18 04:37 PM
10/05/18 04:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
RAHMBA  Offline
Registered Visitor

Los Angeles, CA
HI MichaelSean, TY for sharing this really interesting article. I hope this type of research leads to a cure for several diseases.

I also found this interesting"And the team’s newest findings reveal another part of this immune-metabolism puzzle,... The rate is similar to that seem in patients with less microbial exposure early in life."

There is a lot of interest in microbiom and AS. SAA is funding this type of research.

Unfortunately, there is also a significant percent of people that have diabetes and AS.

Unlike some autoimmune diseases, AS is ancient and I don't recall any evidence that it is increasing in frequency. I think it's just been under recognized and underrepported. RA is associated with smoking and the rate of RA has gone down with smoking and I think you point is interesting that the rate of antibiotics have gone up. I believe AS frequency has remianed high in some parts of the world irrespective of antibiotic use.

My understanding is that AS is considered immune mediated, but the jury is still out on whether it is an autoimmune disease. Dr. Rosenbaum wrote a really nice explaination on this issue. https://www.spondylitis.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TLfvYYtKQmQ%3d&portalid=0

Thanks again for sharing that article and I hope you and your sister are managing well. I'm certainly looking forward to the day that we can cure and prevent both disesases.

Kindest,

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Interesting News About The TB Vaccine [Re: MichaelSean] #281661
10/06/18 01:08 PM
10/06/18 01:08 PM
New York
Banana Online
Registered Visitor
Banana  Online
Registered Visitor

New York
RAHMBA makes a lot of good points. I too, do not believe AS is increasing, but finally getting diagnosed. My grandmother on my mother's side had "arthritis" and that is what it was called. We now know there are over 100 different types of arthritis. RA wasn't even separate from OA so that argument is not worth putting into print. Also, since AS is very much a disease with a genetic base certain places have more AS because of the genes. Like American Indians and parts of Asia. They have found skeletons with AS, so it is not new.

Thank you for posting this, the diabetes part is exciting, very exciting and so is all research BUT I hope they keep it to facts and not speculate on antibiotics etc etc. Speculation is what sends treatment off the deep end. Like vaccines in general.

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto